Trotter, Palushaj, Carle

Habzmaniac

I think Trotter makes the habs to start the season, maybe Palushaj too. With Eller out to start of the season they both have a chance to make it. I'm starting to think Pierre Gauthier is finished picking up anymore Ufa's.

Mathieu Carle doesn't he have to clear waivers if he doesn't make the big club? My opinion is he makes the team this year. He's paid his dues as a Bulldog. he's been dominant at his position, made the all star team last year, in one of the games I saw when he played with the habs in 2010 he looked pretty good to me. Somehow I think he will latch on to the final spot on D. I hope we don't lose him like we did Beauchemin. We groom these guys for 4-5 years and then lose them for nothing and some other team benefits. I think Carle has potential, good skater has offensive talent, good passer, mobile and isn't that small at 6'0 205lbs. Anyhow he's my underdog pick to make the habs this year.

Carle is a tricky case... he's been a good AHLer for a while now but the Habs have always had a more talented D ahead of him to play. I'd be surprised if Carle is picked up off waivers, unless the AHL conscious Jets franchise thought he's worth a go. Or, of course, Tampa. But I think Tampa's D is pretty well set up right now. I don't see a Beauchemin/Robidas type situation with him... but who knows. I think we wanted to keep Beauch and got had by Columbus on the last day before the lockout and Robidas was just an idiotic move all together (Savard seriously protected Karl Dykhuis and Stephane Quintal over him). The Habs signed Diaz (another RH offensive D) so unless I'm missing something Carle looks like a potential injury fill-in plan for the Habs and nothing more.

As for Trotter, I agree: as things currently stand, to me he's in the NHL. That said, the leash isn't long on him... Palushaj is coming up very quickly. But as for an Eller replacement, Engqvist is a good bet as well due to being a permanent C with a good amount of pro experience. Trotter is more of a candidate for Pyatt's old roster spot and playing on Desharnais' wing again, though he could play C as well as he did do that in the KHL.

My take on Carle : trade him ASAP. His highest value is now. Next major injury (and we all know it's coming sooner than later) and whe're stuck with him for life.

My take on Carle : trade him ASAP. His highest value is now. Next major injury (and we all know it's coming sooner than later) and whe're stuck with him for life.

I disagree. To me, his value couldn't be any lower. Not only did he clear waivers last year, he didn't exactly light up the AHL with Hamilton. He is only a couple of years away from Group VI free agency (unrestricted) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him suiting up overseas in the near future. His value right now couldn't be more than a mid to late draft pick.

I disagree. To me, his value couldn't be any lower. Not only did he clear waivers last year, he didn't exactly light up the AHL with Hamilton. He is only a couple of years away from Group VI free agency (unrestricted) and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him suiting up overseas in the near future. His value right now couldn't be more than a mid to late draft pick.

And a mid to late draft picks is lower than suiting up overseas when he gets UFA status ?

I think Trotter makes the habs to start the season, maybe Palushaj too. With Eller out to start of the season they both have a chance to make it. I'm starting to think Pierre Gauthier is finished picking up anymore Ufa's.

Mathieu Carle doesn't he have to clear waivers if he doesn't make the big club? My opinion is he makes the team this year. He's paid his dues as a Bulldog. he's been dominant at his position, made the all star team last year, in one of the games I saw when he played with the habs in 2010 he looked pretty good to me. Somehow I think he will latch on to the final spot on D. I hope we don't lose him like we did Beauchemin. We groom these guys for 4-5 years and then lose them for nothing and some other team benefits. I think Carle has potential, good skater has offensive talent, good passer, mobile and isn't that small at 6'0 205lbs. Anyhow he's my underdog pick to make the habs this year.

If the roster stays as it is up front, I too think Trotter will get the first look at staying with the big club. (Yes, I have him in Hamilton's lineup in their thread but I also suspect one more NHL forward will be added before training camp). Palushaj has waiver exemption for one more year so even if he were to outperform Trotter at camp, that alone may get him sent down to start at least.

As for Carle, I'm not sure he's any higher than 5th on the call up list in Hamilton. When they want an offensive guy, it'd be Diaz. Physical/Pseudo-enforcer? Henry. Stay at home guy? St. Denis (who is criminally underrated by some). There's also Nash who made a good impression last year, he brings Carle's mobility with a bigger frame. I think Carle can be a useful NHL D as a 6/7 guy but assuming Gorges signs and one of Yemelin/Diaz makes the team out of camp, the top-7 is set, there'd be no room unless they want to carry 8 D to start.

Well, in the category of reasons why Carle's days may be numbered with Montreal, Cole took his #72.sleep.gif

By that logic, Palushaj is done for as well since Desharnais took his number. :ph34r:

I thought some of us had already written Palushaj off? rolleyes.gif

I am not going to comment on Carle's value, however I would say that typically (from what they have done in past) the team would not have picked up his contract and just signed a veteran free agent. I believe because of the new trend of more young guys coming into the league each year on every team you aren't as vulnerable to lose somebody via waivers. It may be a simple as Carle is the best option to fill this years roster as a veteran AHLer (right handed shot defenseman) with little risk of losing him.