What's with all the cap space?

http://montreal.ctv....=MontrealSports

Nice piece (as usual) by Arpon Basu, pointing out that we have $4 mil in 'dead money' cap space and urging that Gauthier use it. My question is: why do you think the Habs - traditionally a spend-to-the-cap team - are sitting on this dough? Here's some possibilities...

1. They want the flexibility to take on salary should a mid-season trade be needed. E.g., if Markov, Gorges, or Gomez falter, a major move would be warranted by January.

2. They want to be able to add massive salary at the deadline. Of course, this implies that we will be willing to deal away top picks/prospects for the Big Name Star on deadline day. It's also unlikely that we'd need $4 mil to do this.

3. They like the team and see no veterans who can really help out there (but see Bsu's piece).

4. They're saving up for next season's renegotiations with PK and Price.

5. The new ownership is cheap.

A related question is whether you think it was wise to keep this money floating around. I myself remain uneasy about our defence and probably would have re-signed Hammer rather than keep the cash.

Anyway...discuss!

I'd be inclined to believe that reasons #3 and #4 are the most significant factors. Throw in rumblings that the cap may decrease in the near future, and I think they're just being wise with their money, and looking to the future.

If you get into trouble, you need wriggle room. If you don't need the room, you have a valuable asset you can move to get a pretty good return. It has taken the GM's a long time to figure this out, and some still haven't got it. Let's CASH IN!

If there's no one worth spending it on, you may as well save it rather than throwing it at someone for the sake of doing so. The Habs have been hit with injuries a lot the last couple of years; as BlueKross notes, there's nothing wrong with wiggle room. You never know what opportunities will present themselves as the year goes on. Do they need as much as they have now for wiggle room? Probably not but at this point, I'd rather have too much extra space over the too little we've seen come back to bite them the last couple of years.

If there's no one worth spending it on, you may as well save it rather than throwing it at someone for the sake of doing so. The Habs have been hit with injuries a lot the last couple of years; as BlueKross notes, there's nothing wrong with wiggle room. You never know what opportunities will present themselves as the year goes on. Do they need as much as they have now for wiggle room? Probably not but at this point, I'd rather have too much extra space over the too little we've seen come back to bite them the last couple of years.

After the new CBA, GM's arbituarily decided to set how much space to leave. There are still teams that will handcuff themselves. If you can take advantage of a GM's miscues, you may be able to get a huge lift in your prospect pool. That is the downside of leaving space and not using it up in your own needs. I would be trying it every year if I could.

They might be preparing to take on someone else's mistake. I don't really know.

They did offer Hamrlik a decent amount of what the space currently is, but other than that I don't know of any other offers they had out there. I'm guessing they want the wiggle room for next year and don't want to commit long term, and have had few takers on short term offers that would get them to the cap.

I think they are just saving as insurance, what if there is an incredible amount of injuries too one aspect of the roster where we need too sign something.

Say goalies get injured, there would need too be action there, if say the injuries that hit the blue line this year happen again and then our Yemelins and Diaz's do not pan out and are not up too par. I think it makes perfect sense to leave the cap room.

Freedom too react is better in my opinion.

I would not be opposed too a cheap signing like John Madden at all though, I always liked him.

Hamilton should be able too fill that 4th line player though.

http://montreal.ctv....=MontrealSports

Nice piece (as usual) by Arpon Basu, pointing out that we have $4 mil in 'dead money' cap space and urging that Gauthier use it. My question is: why do you think the Habs - traditionally a spend-to-the-cap team - are sitting on this dough? Here's some possibilities...

1. They want the flexibility to take on salary should a mid-season trade be needed. E.g., if Markov, Gorges, or Gomez falter, a major move would be warranted by January.

2. They want to be able to add massive salary at the deadline. Of course, this implies that we will be willing to deal away top picks/prospects for the Big Name Star on deadline day. It's also unlikely that we'd need $4 mil to do this.

3. They like the team and see no veterans who can really help out there (but see Bsu's piece).

4. They're saving up for next season's renegotiations with PK and Price.

5. The new ownership is cheap.

A related question is whether you think it was wise to keep this money floating around. I myself remain uneasy about our defence and probably would have re-signed Hammer rather than keep the cash.

Anyway...discuss!

Old timer Hamrlik? he was gassed the last 2 years come spring and uneasy about d, they will be fine? Off-topic i know.

I would guess the reason would be a bit of 1 and 3, but Gauthier seems to be very hard to read, but i have be pleased with almost every one he has made so far and dont see extra $ as a big problem or failure.

Old timer Hamrlik? he was gassed the last 2 years come spring and uneasy about d, they will be fine? Off-topic i know.

I would guess the reason would be a bit of 1 and 3, but Gauthier seems to be very hard to read, but i have be pleased with almost every one he has made so far and dont see extra $ as a big problem or failure.

I have a feeling that Hammer will prove to be a very canny signing by the Caps, who had the best off-season of any team. This is shaping up to be their year IMHO. Typical of Montreal fans to criticize the guy for having been done yeoman's work being hugely over-taxed due to injuries. Without Hammer, I seriously doubt we'd have enjoyed the success we did over the last two seasons. Anyway, as for our D, I tend to side with Red Fisher: too many question marks. I am reassured by the cap flexibility that Gautheir has left himself if he needs to fix it, but if we end up throwing away still more good picks in order to paper over the defence, I will be pretty pissed.

I am reassured by the cap flexibility that Gautheir has left himself if he needs to fix it, but if we end up throwing away still more good picks in order to paper over the defence, I will be pretty pissed.

Given the lack of what's left in free agency, it seems to me that's exactly what will need to happen if more injuries arise or there are struggles from the numerous youngsters that presently comprise the top-9 or so. Player-player trades don't typically happen early on so if early patchwork is required, it'll be either taking away a pick or a prospect I would think.

I have a feeling that Hammer will prove to be a very canny signing by the Caps, who had the best off-season of any team. This is shaping up to be their year IMHO. Typical of Montreal fans to criticize the guy for having been done yeoman's work being hugely over-taxed due to injuries. Without Hammer, I seriously doubt we'd have enjoyed the success we did over the last two seasons. Anyway, as for our D, I tend to side with Red Fisher: too many question marks. I am reassured by the cap flexibility that Gautheir has left himself if he needs to fix it, but if we end up throwing away still more good picks in order to paper over the defence, I will be pretty pissed.

I only criticize Hamrlik for getting old and not a thing to do with the effort he brought to the rink every night. If Caps keep his ice time closer to 15 minutes/game then he may really help them in playoffs, but more likely he will get injured and be a non-factor.

The Sopel signing was one i could of really done without and I would of just played Weber and Mara more ( i still would still like to see Mara sign a 2 way contract) If Gauthier does have to deal picks, i wouldnt be pissed, but i really dont see it coming to that anyways and i have a lot less worry about the d-core than the team's ability to score more, which is what really sunk the Habs in last 2 playoffs.

Hope everyone had a great summer, it feels good to be on the brink of a new season. Anyways about this topic, I would like to see Mara signed to a two way deal. He would be a great mentor to the kids and a excellent call up option if needed, especially at playoff time.

I'm really surprised no one has signed him or at least given him a camp invite.

Hope everyone had a great summer, it feels good to be on the brink of a new season. Anyways about this topic, I would like to see Mara signed to a two way deal. He would be a great mentor to the kids and a excellent call up option if needed, especially at playoff time.

I'm really surprised no one has signed him or at least given him a camp invite.

He may not want to go to the minors in his twilight. Some guys just would rather wait out for a NHL contract once injuries hit.