Markov

brobin

He'll be back before the All-Star break by all indications. If it's 4 weeks, it'll be before the halfway point of January. Shockingly before this, Markov was considered a fast healer. This is an instance where I'd like to see him accept a Hamilton conditioning assignment though, slowly ease back into game shape there. With the depth on D the Habs have, they can afford to go this route.

He'll be back before the All-Star break by all indications. If it's 4 weeks, it'll be before the halfway point of January. Shockingly before this, Markov was considered a fast healer. This is an instance where I'd like to see him accept a Hamilton conditioning assignment though, slowly ease back into game shape there. With the depth on D the Habs have, they can afford to go this route.

Jacques today said that he will be out till AFTER all star break.

Also Canadiens website http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=605649&navid=DL|MTL|home and

And Goat video about Mr Markov http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=139534

Jacques today said that he will be out till AFTER all star break.

Also Canadiens website http://canadiens.nhl...vid=DL|MTL|home and

And Goat video about Mr Markov http://video.canadie...nsole?id=139534

Videos from the NHL site are a pain to load for me so I'll take your word. However, Markov wasn't supposed to play on the Anaheim trip yet when he made the trip he was expected to play. It all depends on the healing process really, how fast does he heal?

Even though I think the arrival of Markov won't be enough to make the playoffs, I sure hope that he isn't really out till the all-star break, cause that would assuredly mean we're out and there's no chance in hell of us making it to the post season!

Markov is very much damaged goods. He is not recovering as well as hoped and we still have no idea if he will ever be the player he was.

Even if his knee is better, it will take some time for a guy who has played so little in the last two years to get back into form.

Markov is very much damaged goods. He is not recovering as well as hoped and we still have no idea if he will ever be the player he was.

Even if his knee is better, it will take some time for a guy who has played so little in the last two years to get back into form.

Makes me so glad we gave him a multi-year deal instead of Gorges. I realize Markov is the better player, but from a front office perspective, signing the bigger question mark to a bigger deal was a boneheaded move.

Agreed. I seriously doubt Markov will ever be as good as he once was. He might get back to about 80 or 85% of what he once was, and that is still better than the vast majority of D-men in the league, but not enough to have a HUGE impact on the team. At least enough of an impact to get us into that "contender" category.

Makes me so glad we gave him a multi-year deal instead of Gorges. I realize Markov is the better player, but from a front office perspective, signing the bigger question mark to a bigger deal was a boneheaded move.

As a UFA Markov had a lot more bargaining power, than Gorges did who was an RFA waiting for an arbitration hearing.

As a UFA Markov had a lot more bargaining power, than Gorges did who was an RFA waiting for an arbitration hearing.

Right, but now Gorges can just use his one year deal to springboard elsewhere next year. I would have rather locked him up and tried to get Markov on a one year deal. Coming off consecutive major knee injuries, Markov wasn't gonna be a hot commodity on the open market.

Right, but now Gorges can just use his one year deal to springboard elsewhere next year. I would have rather locked him up and tried to get Markov on a one year deal. Coming off consecutive major knee injuries, Markov wasn't gonna be a hot commodity on the open market.

Sure, but we don't know what the numbers would have had to have been to lock up Gorges long term.

I can guarantee you this though... its more than the 2.5 million he signed at for 1 year.

Gorges is a really good player and a valuable part of the team... but there is also a limit on his worth. If the guy wants 3.5-4 million I say lock him up. If he wants more than that... its not worth it for a good defensive player who scored 20 pts, and doesn't exactly deliver a huge amount of hitting or physical play. I'd let him walk if he asks for too much and find another UFA replacement.

Sure, but we don't know what the numbers would have had to have been to lock up Gorges long term.

I can guarantee you this though... its more than the 2.5 million he signed at for 1 year.

Gorges is a really good player and a valuable part of the team... but there is also a limit on his worth. If the guy wants 3.5-4 million I say lock him up. If he wants more than that... its not worth it for a good defensive player who scored 20 pts, and doesn't exactly deliver a huge amount of hitting or physical play. I'd let him walk if he asks for too much and find another UFA replacement.

I would not give a guy who can not create a whole lot of offense 4 mil

3.25 is really the most I would like to see him make.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately, Gauthier's caution with Gorges this summer may end up costing us a very valuable blueliner. Let's hope not.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately, Gauthier's caution with Gorges this summer may end up costing us a very valuable blueliner. Let's hope not.

Possibly... but we don't know what Gorges wanted in the summer. If he was asking for 4 mill a year for 5 year deal, would that be Gauthier making a mistake of being over cautious?

Possibly... but we don't know what Gorges wanted in the summer. If he was asking for 4 mill a year for 5 year deal, would that be Gauthier making a mistake of being over cautious?

If that is what he wanted the Goat did a great job.

Who knows what the future holds but I believe the Habs believe Josh is an important peice of the future.

gorges is worth 3 million/yr tops. Habs have Markov, Diaz, Emelin, Kaberle, Subban and Weber set for next season (and possibly Gill coming back for one more season) I have seen Gorges out there on a lot of goals this year where his coverage hasn't been up to par. Gill i would want back only because of his expertise on the 5 on 3 and big body. I think a guy like gorges is replaceable and isn't an untouchable on the team at this point. Also need to take into account that Tinordi and Beaulieu should be NHL ready soon.

gorges is worth 3 million/yr tops. Habs have Markov, Diaz, Emelin, Kaberle, Subban and Weber set for next season (and possibly Gill coming back for one more season) I have seen Gorges out there on a lot of goals this year where his coverage hasn't been up to par. Gill i would want back only because of his expertise on the 5 on 3 and big body. I think a guy like gorges is replaceable and isn't an untouchable on the team at this point. Also need to take into account that Tinordi and Beaulieu should be NHL ready soon.

Even with Markov, Diaz, Kaberle, Subban, WEber, Emelin and Diaz.... habs need a defensive defenceman to round out that group. Only Emelin as a stay at home guy in that group. You need balance in the group. Gorges (or a Gorges type player) needs to be signed.

I agree thought that if Josh asks for too much money, you find someone else to fill the role. There will be guys available.

I agree thought that if Josh asks for too much money, you find someone else to fill the role. There will be guys available.

He won't though. He has said numerous times he loves the city and wants to play here.

He won't though. He has said numerous times he loves the city and wants to play here.

Players and agents lie all the time. Adam Foote said that kind of stuff all the time, then deliberately asked for too much money when negotiating an extension with Columbus and then demanded a trade back to Colorado, all while having a private jet ready to take him away the second the trade happened. I like Gorges and hope he's being honest, but I never take what a player says as truth.

• Upvote 1

Players and agents lie all the time. Adam Foote said that kind of stuff all the time, then deliberately asked for too much money when negotiating an extension with Columbus and then demanded a trade back to Colorado, all while having a private jet ready to take him away the second the trade happened. I like Gorges and hope he's being honest, but I never take what a player says as truth.

Albert Pujols said and I paraphrase, "for 2 or 3 million per year difference, I won't leave, I like winning in St. Louis" during the middle of this season.

Then in the offseason he left for 25 million per year for 10 years on a non-playoff team, when St. Louis offered 22 million per year for 10 years for him to stay with the champs.

I have seen Gorges out there on a lot of goals this year where his coverage hasn't been up to par.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Gorges is a +13 on this team. Nobody even comes close to thaose numbers. OUr second best +/- d-man is Subban at +4.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Gorges is a +13 on this team. Nobody even comes close to thaose numbers. OUr second best +/- d-man is Subban at +4.

BOOM

Agree Josh is a force.

I hope that's true. I like Gorges and I love when players are loyal, like taking a bit less money to stay on a team they like. In these salary cap days creating that type of environment, one that makes players want to stay for less money is crucial to building a long term winning team, I think.

I agree we need Gorges he is very steady out there and battles every game playing bigger then he is. If we can get him for 2.5 to 3 mill done deal. If markov could ever stay healthy he brings everybody's mins down and allows them to play in situations they should be in and not over played or misused.