Emelin

brobin

Its probably been explained to him (just like it was told to PK when he was scratched 3 straight games last year) that JM doesn't change a winning lineup. He won't get back in there, until after our next loss.Also his contract doesn't have an out for being scratched, its only if he's sent to the AHL.

you're absolutely right. and with Diaz playing that well, he wont be rushed in. I'm surprised, though, that he was not used vs heavier teams like PHI/BOS. anyways. we got 3 wins so Martin was right..

you're absolutely right. and with Diaz playing that well, he wont be rushed in. I'm surprised, though, that he was not used vs heavier teams like PHI/BOS. anyways. we got 3 wins so Martin was right..

The reason why Emelin sits is Diaz play. The Swiss player is good and is only getting better. IMO, he is better than Mark Streit at his beginning. Diaz is not robust, but he is courageous. He is intelligent with the puck and has excellent playmaking abilities. I also like his shot from the point. I think that when Markov will be back, he will be a regular on the second pair of defensemen on the PP with Yannick Weber.

It's not to say that Emelin won't play anymore. I believe that we aren't done with injuries. He'll have other opportunities.

The reason why Emelin sits is Diaz play. The Swiss player is good and is only getting better. IMO, he is better than Mark Streit at his beginning. Diaz is not robust, but he is courageous. He is intelligent with the puck and has excellent playmaking abilities. I also like his shot from the point. I think that when Markov will be back, he will be a regular on the second pair of defensemen on the PP with Yannick Weber.

It's not to say that Emelin won't play anymore. I believe that we aren't done with injuries. He'll have other opportunities.

I do not think Emelin is ready of the NHL if he could play a year in the AHL where he would dominate it would be really good for him. He would get a lot of confidence.

I do not think Emelin is ready of the NHL if he could play a year in the AHL where he would dominate it would be really good for him. He would get a lot of confidence.

I've actually liked Emelin when he plays, he's got a lot to offer. I think its more a factor of how many good young d we have rather than his play. I don't think he'd really benefit from AHL time. He's been top pair in the KHL on a very strong team and a member of Russias world championship team. I think the caliber of those squads is at least as good as AHL if not better.

One of Emelin or Diaz has to go down to Hamilton when Markov returns. I presume it's Diaz, given the risk of losing Emelin back to the KHL? Makes me wonder if PG and JM are testing Diaz, perhaps even showcasing him as trade bait, if they were developing a trade-concept before the Habs won three in a row.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't help thinking that there is not enough room on the roster for Weber and Diaz - two so similar players, on a line up that already has one long-term (Markov) and one short-term (Campoli) not-so-physical veteran puck moving dmen.

I am excited to see Emelin develop, but patient with PG and JM on this one. I hope the young Russian isn't being alienated by the situation.

Edited by patience is a virtue

One of Emelin or Diaz has to go down to Hamilton when Markov returns. I presume it's Diaz, given the risk of losing Emelin back to the KHL? Makes me wonder if PG and JM are testing Diaz, perhaps even showcasing him as trade bait, if they were developing a trade-concept before the Habs won three in a row.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I can't help thinking that there is not enough room on the roster for Weber and Diaz - two so similar players, on a line up that already has one long-term (Markov) and one short-term (Campoli) not-so-physical veteran puck moving dmen.

I am excited to see Emelin develop, but patient with PG and JM on this one. I hope the young Russian isn't being alienated by the situation.

I wish he would play in the AHL and not bolt to Russia for a season... it would be great for his development.

The team is currently keeping 21 skaters, and is allowed 23. So when Markov returns, and Gomez returns, the team will just add them and carry 3 spares. If one of Campoli or White returns, the team will have to send a player down, and I assume the first will be Blunden. If both return, then one of the D would have to go.

The team is currently keeping 21 skaters, and is allowed 23. So when Markov returns, and Gomez returns, the team will just add them and carry 3 spares. If one of Campoli or White returns, the team will have to send a player down, and I assume the first will be Blunden. If both return, then one of the D would have to go.

When White comes back Blunden will go down. When Campoli comes back... Blunden may go down anyways and Weber could be stuck on wing again.

When White comes back Blunden will go down. When Campoli comes back... Blunden may go down anyways and Weber could be stuck on wing again.

first guy back will be gomez, which will force moen into blunden's spot and then blunden to the ahl.

first guy back will be gomez, which will force moen into blunden's spot and then blunden to the ahl.

Oh right... Gomer... forgot about him.

(or was that just my mind being nice and blocking him from my memory :P)

Wait a minute. We have got 7/9 possible points since Gomer has been injured... We fired the wrong guy! Pearn had nothing to do with it! haha :P

How often does a team sit 2 D in the press box for any length of time? Just wondering.

How often does a team sit 2 D in the press box for any length of time?  Just wondering.

2 D in the pressbox happens with many teams, and its happened with the Habs pretty recently.  But we've already got 1 in the pressbox, so Campoli + Markov would make 3 in the pressbox if everyone was healthy at the same time.  Three healthy D in the pressbox is unheard of.  And considering the fact that we are getting puck movers back in Markov and Campoli, I figure its Diaz who is the odd man out and sent to Hamilton. A big part of sending Blunden + a D down is also the cap space we will save for any trade deadline additions.

How often does a team sit 2 D in the press box for any length of time? Just wondering.

Couldn't tell you off hand, but I know the Habs have done it in the past, usually because of injuries during the year making a trade necessary. I remember when the team traded for Todd Simpson, that he was the 8th D on the team for the playoffs, for example.

I'd rather sit Gill and give Emelin a shot. Ordinarily I'd have opted to sit Spacek, but he's actually been effective the last two games.

I still stand with what I said at the end of last year that I didn't want a defense that has more then 1 of gill, spacek and hamrlik. Emelin at least offers the potential of physicality from the back end.

I'd rather sit Gill and give Emelin a shot. Ordinarily I'd have opted to sit Spacek, but he's actually been effective the last two games.

I still stand with what I said at the end of last year that I didn't want a defense that has more then 1 of gill, spacek and hamrlik. Emelin at least offers the potential of physicality from the back end.

I do not think Emelin is ready for regular minutes. Spacek is not a top four.

Oh right... Gomer... forgot about him.

(or was that just my mind being nice and blocking him from my memory :P)

Wait a minute. We have got 7/9 possible points since Gomer has been injured... We fired the wrong guy! Pearn had nothing to do with it! haha :P

How about Blunden and Moen stay where they are and Gomez goes to the AHL. Better line-up and Instant cap relief. Gomez AAARRRGHA

YES, I know that you can't demote injured players... I was actually responding to the post that mentioned what will probably happen when Gomez comes back.

How about Blunden and Moen stay where they are and Gomez goes to the AHL. Better line-up and Instant cap relief. Gomez AAARRRGHA

YES, I know that you can't demote injured players... I was actually responding to the post that mentioned what will probably happen when Gomez comes back.

We have been winning without him. Maybe he isn't needed as our second line center after all.

How about Blunden and Moen stay where they are and Gomez goes to  the AHL. Better line-up and Instant cap relief. Gomez AAARRRGHA

YES, I know that you can't demote injured players...  I was actually responding to the post that mentioned what will probably happen when Gomez comes back.

Sad that people think Blunden and Moen create a better lineup than Gomez in the lineup. Sure the guy isn't what we expect for 7 million, but he's still a better player than Blunden, not even close really. As for cap relief.... if your plan for cap relief is to send Gomez to the AHL, his hit is so big that it can be done the same day as the trade, and you'll get enough relief to add anyone in the league.

Still Gomez in his worst season ever scored 38 pts. Blunden will be lucky to score 38 points in his career, never mind a season.

Sad that people think Blunden and Moen create a better lineup than Gomez in the lineup. Sure the guy isn't what we expect for 7 million, but he's still a better player than Blunden, not even close really. As for cap relief.... if your plan for cap relief is to send Gomez to the AHL, his hit is so big that it can be done the same day as the trade, and you'll get enough relief to add anyone in the league.

Still Gomez in his worst season ever scored 38 pts. Blunden will be lucky to score 38 points in his career, never mind a season.

How we have regressed? You are arguing that it makes sense to keep Gomez because he is better than a fourth line career AHLer in Blunden. I would be the first one to be lined up to put Gomez on a train out of here, however he has done nothing this year to warrant that. I would say that the Canadiens record this year is better without him than with him. The rational that he is irreplaceable is unfounded. I keep him and see how he responds to the clubs success while he was gone.

How we have regressed? You are arguing that it makes sense to keep Gomez because he is better than a fourth line career AHLer in Blunden. I would be the first one to be lined up to put Gomez on a train out of here, however he has done nothing this year to warrant that. I would say that the Canadiens record this year is better without him than with him. The rational that he is irreplaceable is unfounded. I keep him and see how he responds to the clubs success while he was gone.

If you could trade gomez you do it because it saves money for next year and the year after. But right now, gomez is better than a career ahler and 7 million in cap space is not necessary. So you keep him until he can be traded or until next summer.Putting gomez in the ahl right now makes 0 sense. The only way it would work is if you already have a big money trade lined up.

If you could trade gomez you do it because it saves money for next year and the year after. But right now, gomez is better than a career ahler and 7 million in cap space is not necessary. So you keep him until he can be traded or until next summer.Putting gomez in the ahl right now makes 0 sense. The only way it would work is if you already have a big money trade lined up.

Exactly. The Canadiens made a decision to keep him and unless something comes up that overwhelms us, he goes back in the line-up. I agree the Ahl makes zero sense at this point. I do believe that there were times last year that it could have been an option. Maybe he just starts playing closer to expectations. Just for the record, this is the Emelin thread. I am sort of chuckling how this conversation is going.

Exactly. The Canadiens made a decision to keep him and unless something comes up that overwhelms us, he goes back in the line-up. I agree the Ahl makes zero sense at this point. I do believe that there were times last year that it could have been an option. Maybe he just starts playing closer to expectations. Just for the record, this is the Emelin thread. I am sort of chuckling how this conversation is going.

The AHL doesn't make much sense for Diaz either. IMO he already has proved, beyond any doubt, that he is an NHL player. If I was him I would feel very frustrated by a demotion to the AHL.

The AHL doesn't make much sense for Diaz either. IMO he already has proved, beyond any doubt, that he is an NHL player. If I was him I would feel very frustrated by a demotion to the AHL.

When Campoli and Markov return you have 9 D on the roster. Those two are veteran Puck movers which mean diaz will no longer be in the lineup.

Weber has no AHL eligibility, without waivers, left.

Emelin has an out in his contract where he leaves for Russia rather than being sent to the AHL.

Diaz can go to the AHL without clearing waivers, and has no such "out clause" in his contract. This leaves him as the odd man out, because the team will not carry 9 defencemen, and they won't want to lose Emelin or Weber for nothing.