Emelin

brobin

I would go so far as to say that I think they'll be paired together and that Markov's influence will make Emelin a key defenseman by the end of the season...

Agreed. If markov was able to make Komisarek into an all-star ;) imagine what he'll be able to do with Emelin(who seems to have more talent than Komo)

• Upvote 1

No source here, but I remember 3-4 years ago, (I think it was) Pierre McGuire said Emelin was the best defenseman not in the NHL at the time. No way he got worse in the time since, as evidenced by him coming over and being a viable option for JM. I don't like McGuire and his sensational approach to his job, but often when he has a broner for a player, the player is usually pretty good. I'm excited about Emelin, I just hope he gets the chance to play. Same with Diaz and Weber.

Three rookie defensemen (4 last night) on one team, along with a sophomore, should spell doom for almost any team. These kids have promise, and they will only improve as the season progresses. I'm excited. If the Habs can get through the year without trading any, they won't really need to add any Dmen in the off-season (Markov, Gorges, Subban, Emelin, Weber, Diaz) other than a 7th guy. And the pipeline (Tinordi, Beaulieu) isn't bad either.

No source here, but I remember 3-4 years ago, (I think it was) Pierre McGuire said Emelin was the best defenseman not in the NHL at the time. No way he got worse in the time since, as evidenced by him coming over and being a viable option for JM. I don't like McGuire and his sensational approach to his job, but often when he has a broner for a player, the player is usually pretty good. I'm excited about Emelin, I just hope he gets the chance to play. Same with Diaz and Weber.

Three rookie defensemen (4 last night) on one team, along with a sophomore, should spell doom for almost any team. These kids have promise, and they will only improve as the season progresses. I'm excited. If the Habs can get through the year without trading any, they won't really need to add any Dmen in the off-season (Markov, Gorges, Subban, Emelin, Weber, Diaz) other than a 7th guy. And the pipeline (Tinordi, Beaulieu) isn't bad either.

At the same time remember we where playing against a really bad team. Carolina looks like they are going nowhere fast.

For those that didn't catch it. Pierre McGuire just said on local radio that Emelin is "coming", and that we will not be disappointed in this player!! He mentioned his lack of English, that it's taking a while, but he's on his way.

Interesting stat....

Emelin has 43 hits so far this year in just 13 games. Over an 82 game schedule this would equate to 271 hits.

Cole has 58 hits in 21 games. Over an 82 game schedule this would equate to 226 hits.

Last season our most physical player was Andrei Kostitsyn with 140 hits and PK was out most physical D-man with 110.

Interesting stat....

Emelin has 43 hits so far this year in just 13 games. Over an 82 game schedule this would equate to 271 hits.

Cole has 58 hits in 21 games. Over an 82 game schedule this would equate to 226 hits.

Last season our most physical player was Andrei Kostitsyn with 140 hits and PK was out most physical D-man with 110.

We be bullies now

Seriously drop off after that though.  Do you know who has the most fights on this team this year?  I have not looked but I think it's Nokaleinen.

I'm pretty sure he's had 2 and Moen has 2 as well. Unless Noko had one in Phoenix.

I just think that he would benefit as a player by a year in the ahl

I don't know about a year but he'd definitely benefit from half a season in the AHL. That said, I really think he's here to stay.

He is still making mistakes and will need to continue adjusting but he seems to be getting more and more comfortable...and that's key. I think the return of Markov will help Emelin a lot too. I can see the two of them being paired together too...

My only question with pairing them together is that Emelin has been used on the Left pretty much all year.

I know he played both sides in the KHL... but is he on the Left only because that is the necessity right now (and it is), or because management sees him as more comfortable on his natural side.

I'm pretty sure he's had 2 and Moen has 2 as well. Unless Noko had one in Phoenix.

No both have 2. I didn't remember the McCormick fight. Montreal then has a total of 6 for the year? Blunden and Subban...anyone else?

Emelin did play alot on the right side in the KHL and has spent some time on the right side with Montreal. Alot like Gorges really. Maybe he is actually more comfortable on that side of the ice????

Emelin certainly ventures out to the right side plenty to make hits if need be (the Tlusty one, for example). :lol:

He does venture there but I'd like to see him play where he is comfortable. If it is on the left side then play on the left. if it's on the right then play him on the right.

He does venture there but I'd like to see him play where he is comfortable. If it is on the left side then play on the left. if it's on the right then play him on the right.

The problem there is that Gorges looks so good on the right side too. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Plenty of screaming and questioning of decisions to come.

Call me crazy but when Markov returns I would actually like to see PK step a little step back. I would love to see Emelin alongside Markov and I would consider re-uniting Gorges-Gill as our shut down unit. This would effectively leave Subban on the 3rd pairing playing alongside either Spacek or Campoli. This would effectively mean 3 pairings that may be able to play against any line in the NHL.

On a side note did anyone see the shit that happened between Darche and Subban last night?

I disagree with you Willey. Subban has been the habs best D man on both ends. The only reason Gorges is having success is the opposing teams are over committing to Subban freeing up his partner. I personally do not want to see Gill as more than a third pairing anymore, I feel like he is hurting the team (as much as you can analyze last nights game), on offense. Gill is great on the PK, but he just seems to be a Debbie Downer on offense killing any chance of scoring chances.

I disagree with you Willey. Subban has been the habs best D man on both ends. The only reason Gorges is having success is the opposing teams are over committing to Subban freeing up his partner. I personally do not want to see Gill as more than a third pairing anymore, I feel like he is hurting the team (as much as you can analyze last nights game), on offense. Gill is great on the PK, but he just seems to be a Debbie Downer on offense killing any chance of scoring chances.

I see it as the opposite. Gorges has helped out PK tremendously. Remember that PK was a -4 or 5 before being united with Gorges and now he is a plus player. Gorges was a +6 I beleive before they were united and is now something like #3 in the NHL in the +/-. Gorges is perhaps the key to our D-core. Look what he did for Gill, for Subban, he even played extremely well with Campoli in the pres-season.

Ideally I would like to have Gill as a 3rd pairing as well with limited minutes and ultimately I am guessing PK and Gorges stay as a tandem which I do like. I just want to see PK take a back seat for a bit and learn to somewhat simplify his game.

I see it as the opposite. Gorges has helped out PK tremendously. Remember that PK was a -4 or 5 before being united with Gorges and now he is a plus player. Gorges was a +6 I beleive before they were united and is now something like #3 in the NHL in the +/-. Gorges is perhaps the key to our D-core. Look what he did for Gill, for Subban, he even played extremely well with Campoli in the pres-season.

Ideally I would like to have Gill as a 3rd pairing as well with limited minutes and ultimately I am guessing PK and Gorges stay as a tandem which I do like. I just want to see PK take a back seat for a bit and learn to somewhat simplify his game.

But Subban was with Gill when they were minus. Remove Gill from the top pairing and insert Gorges and it's a big swing. Gill was the issue, not Subban.

Both Gorges and Subban are legitimately good players and I wouldn't want to saddle them with Gill, unless Markov comes in as one of the partners here (Markov-Gorges or Markov-Subban).