Emelin

brobin

The problem is that Diaz, Weber, and Subban are all RH shots who provide puck moving ability. Subban is a lock to stay in the lineup, so the other to Right sided D spots should be one of Diaz/Weber and one shut down player, to provide balance. Subban does both. Diaz and Weber are both more offence than defence. So it leaves a problem if all three are in the lineup, there is no big shutdown D on the right, but there is plenty of offence. There is no internal balance.

Last year the Habs had Subban, Wisniewski and Weber as RH options and did play all 3 in January. Eventually they added Sopel for depth, but I don't believe it was because the team needed 'balance' on the right side. Martin wants a puck mover on each D pair, I don't see an issue with needing a RH D that can't pass or skate. That doesn't mean they won't make a move, but I don't see an issue with having one pair that has two great puck moving talents on it (since Markov would be their partner). Especially since I see Subban making strides in his own zone play... I really think he can be an elite two-way force.

Gorges - Subban

Markov - Diaz

Emelin - Weber

In a year, that might look like a great top 6. Our current configuration is better for this year, but for next that might be a pretty good looking D. Still, there will be a 7th guy involved somehow. And we know Gorges can play either side without any issue.

We'll know the state of Gill's game by watching him over the course of the whole season and playoffs. If he continues to function as a defensive rock and team mentor and leader, why not re-sign him for another year, probably at a reduced rate? And yeah, I agree that the Habs ought to be thinking about grooming him for a post-playing career within the organization, likely at the assistant coach level. He's been gold, a tremendous under-the-radar pickup in the Great Gainey Blowup and Rebuild of 2009.

Emelin, again: I have no problem with him wanting an escape clause, and I have no problem with JM playing the defencemen he feels give us the best chance to win. What I'd really like to see from Emelin, though, is a sufficient desire to 'make it' in the best league on the planet - that drive to excel against the best that is the hallmark of all elite competitors. If he has this inner drive, then he will be willing to pay his dues while he learns the North American game. That's different from resigning oneself to a career as a marginal NHLer - we're talking about paying the same dues everyone else pays. If he does go back, I won't be enraged at him, but I'll be disappointed he didn't turn out to have more fire.

Let's not forget that Jared Tinordi just signed a 3 year deal with the habs. I'm expecting him to make some kind of jump to the NHL within the next 2-3 years...

Let's not forget that Jared Tinordi just signed a 3 year deal with the habs. I'm expecting him to make some kind of jump to the NHL within the next 2-3 years...

If tinordi and beaulieu develop we can put out a really nice defence going forward. I like having two all around guys in Beaulieu and Subban, some physical presence in Tinordi and Emelin, and some puck moving in diaz and/or weber. Add to that markov as the vet leader of the group, and that's some top 6.

If tinordi and beaulieu develop we can put out a really nice defence going forward. I like having two all around guys in Beaulieu and Subban, some physical presence in Tinordi and Emelin, and some puck moving in diaz and/or weber. Add to that markov as the vet leader of the group, and

that's some top 6.

You will never keep all these guys on the same team for very long. The raises would kill the team.

You will never keep all these guys on the same team for very long. The raises would kill the team.

If you manage the cap properly and don't have a gomez dragging you down, I think you can.Only Subban and Beaulieu would get true #1/2 dman money.... Emelin and Tinordi would get 3/4 money, and Diaz or Weber would be on your third pairing and paid appropriately as well. If replacements become necessary you are hoping that one or more of Nash, Dietz, Didier, Nygren, Sullivan, Pateryn, Stejskal, Bennett, develop into an NHL player; or you find another Diaz.

If you manage the cap properly and don't have a gomez dragging you down, I think you can.Only Subban and Beaulieu would get true #1/2 dman money.... Emelin and Tinordi would get 3/4 money, and Diaz or Weber would be on your third pairing and paid appropriately as well. If replacements become necessary you are hoping that one or more of Nash, Dietz, Didier, Nygren, Sullivan, Pateryn, Stejskal, Bennett, develop into an NHL player; or you find another Diaz.

Commandant is right, Emelin and Tinordi don't have much offensive upside so they won't be huge contract players like PK and Beaulieu may be. Diaz and Weber... i think Diaz may end up being a 2nd pairing d-man at the nhl lvl. He has the potential in my mind to be more. Plus as Commandant pointed out... we have 8 players in the system now, one i'm sure could work his way to the nhl.

Commandant is right, Emelin and Tinordi don't have much offensive upside so they won't be huge contract players like PK and Beaulieu may be. Diaz and Weber... i think Diaz may end up being a 2nd pairing d-man at the nhl lvl. He has the potential in my mind to be more. Plus as Commandant pointed out... we have 8 players in the system now, one i'm sure could work his way to the nhl.

Defensive Depth is easily the strength of our farm system.  I hope to see us add a forward in the first round this year, plus at least 4 fwds overall, possibly more in this draft.  I also think adding some goalie depth via the draft (Malcolm Subban in the 2nd round?) or a college signing (Aaron Dell who was in rookie camp), or both could be important too.  Remember that while a college signing is destined for Hamilton right away, a draft pick would stay in the CHL or NCAA for at least 2 years before going to Hamilton.

Defensive Depth is easily the strength of our farm system. I hope to see us add a forward in the first round this year, plus at least 4 fwds overall, possibly more in this draft. I also think adding some goalie depth via the draft (Malcolm Subban in the 2nd round?) or a college signing (Aaron Dell who was in rookie camp), or both could be important too. Remember that while a college signing is destined for Hamilton right away, a draft pick would stay in the CHL or NCAA for at least 2 years before going to Hamilton.

I do not understand the need to draft a goalie. We have Price. He is young and we won't need another goalie, wouldn't it be better spent on another forward?

Maybe in 2 years draft a goalie.

I do not understand the need to draft a goalie. We have Price. He is young and we won't need another goalie, wouldn't it be better spent on another forward?

We had Theo, Huet, Yann Danis, and Jaro Halak the day we drafted Price.  I think you need someone who you develop going forward.  I have a ton of faith in Price, but what if... what if he has a catastrophic injury and ends up all Rick Dipietro, what if he suddenly falls apart and reverts to 2009-10 form, what if he goes Patrick Roy on us and demands a trade, what if he goes all Komisarek and won't sign a reasonable contract and leaves in 2 years as a UFA?  I like having a contingency plan.  And if the worst scenario is you end up like Vancouver with a Corey Schneider for a backup, or as LA with Bernier for a backup, thats not a bad position and you can move that backup to someone else for something good, ala Varlamov.

On top of that, I'm not saying use your first on a goalie.  I'd be fine with taking someone at any point between the 2nd and 4th round.  The guy might top out as an AHLer or a NHL backup, but i think there should be more in the pipeline than Robert Mayer who isn't even a good AHL backup.

And even though defence is a strength, its not like forwards are totally bare. Eller, Patches, DD, White, on the main roster under 25. Palushaj and Leblanc, in Hamilton. Dany Kristo in the NCAA. Bournival and Gallagher in the CHL. All look like they have a good shot to be NHLers. Then you have your group who is similar to the group of 8 dmen i mentionned above in that they are long shots but maybe 1 or 2 works out in Avtsin, MacMillan, Pribyl, Archambault, Naatinen, Fortier, Dumont, Cichy, Walsh, Quailer, etc...

I don't really get this comment either. What are we supposed to do, have three defencemen?

I say draft the BPA. Any position.

I say  draft the BPA.  Any position.

For the most part yes.  But you've also got to look at team needs at times.

Ie if you have a defenceman who is head and shoulders above everyone else on the board, you take the D and worry about it later.  But if you've got a Dman, Centre, Winger, all ranked very close, I'd take the centre knowing our org needs one, especially if he has size.

I like Emelin..he is a solid tape to tape passer, hardly out of position, jumps up in the play at the right time and does a super effective job in the physical department. I really hope Diaz isn't given undivided spotlight because I see promise in Emelin as well

For the most part yes. But you've also got to look at team needs at times.

Ie if you have a defenceman who is head and shoulders above everyone else on the board, you take the D and worry about it later. But if you've got a Dman, Centre, Winger, all ranked very close, I'd take the centre knowing our org needs one, especially if he has size.

I'd say do this only for round 3 and more. I want BPA for round 1 and 2. You never know what your needs are gonna look like in 2 years from now.

About Emelin now, I get it that JM doesn,t want to mess up with a "winning" lineup, but I want to see Emelin out there. Games about big but not powerhouse teams are gold occasions to send him out instead of Diaz.

For the most part yes. But you've also got to look at team needs at times.

Ie if you have a defenceman who is head and shoulders above everyone else on the board, you take the D and worry about it later. But if you've got a Dman, Centre, Winger, all ranked very close, I'd take the centre knowing our org needs one, especially if he has size.

You have hit the nail on head. Given the difficulty coming up with a number one big center and given the number of defensemen you took last year, we need to focus on the forward position especially big centers with talent. Despite what they may tell you, they very seldom take the BPA. The BPA is a ruse. Therefore if you have two players ranked the same, this year at least in the early round you take the forward, and you take the center over the winger if they have same rating. I am in agreement with the fact that goalie situation isn't urgent, but if there is someone out there that works, you might as well have an asset that is marketable.

I am getting really fed up of martin refusing to play this kid. We insist on keeping Weber in that line-up but he has been brutal his past 3-4 games. Emelin needs to play and needs to learn. Wake the hell up Martin and start using this kid otherwise we'll see another one gone for nothing.

I am getting really fed up of martin refusing to play this kid. We insist on keeping Weber in that line-up but he has been brutal his past 3-4 games. Emelin needs to play and needs to learn. Wake the hell up Martin and start using this kid otherwise we'll see another one gone for nothing.

I agree with your first point. I want to see Emelin play, but I think Weber is being messed up by constantly being shifted between forward and defence. That's what the habs did with Streit, thinking he was too small to be an effective dman, outside of the PP. I don't see why with the proper coaching/oppertunity, Weber can't be as effective as a Brian Rafalski.

I'd much rather have Martin rotate Gill, Spacek and Diaz and give more of an oppertunity to Weber and Emelin.

I agree with your first point. I want to see Emelin play, but I think Weber is being messed up by constantly being shifted between forward and defence. That's what the habs did with Streit, thinking he was too small to be an effective dman, outside of the PP. I don't see why with the proper coaching/oppertunity, Weber can't be as effective as a Brian Rafalski.

I'd much rather have Martin rotate Gill, Spacek and Diaz and give more of an oppertunity to Weber and Emelin.

One thing is for certain, having Weber, Diaz, Emelin all playing without a calming effect from a veteran spells trouble.

If this was my team then one of Weber/Diaz would be gone. Both are NHL D-men but they are virtually the same player. I think Weber is a better player but since he had slightly more trade value then he'd be the guy i'd part with. But that will never happen.

I am assuming that Gill will be back next game which means Emelin is once again on the outside looking in because martin prefers speedy skilled players. If this was up to me then Weber/Diaz would be on constant rotation and I\d play Emelin a good 5-6 games in a row to see what he can do. We have to know now before the vets return.

One thing is for certain, having Weber, Diaz, Emelin all playing without a calming effect from a veteran spells trouble.

If this was my team then one of Weber/Diaz would be gone.  Both are NHL D-men but they are virtually the same player.  I think Weber is a better player but since he had slightly more trade value then he'd be the guy i'd part with.  But that will never happen.

I am assuming that Gill will be back next game which means Emelin is once again on the outside looking in because martin prefers speedy skilled players.  If this was up to me then Weber/Diaz would be on constant rotation and I\d play Emelin a good 5-6 games in a row to see what he can do.   We have to know now before the vets return.

Sounds like Spacek is hurt again... so even if Gill is back, you are still playing all three rookies. While I agree that one of Weber/Diaz will eventually be traded, you simply can't do it before the team gets healthy. We are running out of Dmen again.

Sounds like Spacek is hurt again... so even if Gill is back, you are still playing all three rookies. While I agree that one of Weber/Diaz will eventually be traded, you simply can't do it before the team gets healthy. We are running out of Dmen again.

Do you know if Gauthier put anyone on IR thereby indirectly freeing cap space? Because I'd love to use some of that space to acquire someone. I would seriously package Cammalleri and Weber and see what I can get.

You also don't want to move either until you have a better assessment of them both. Over the year, the habs have lost too many young dman and watched them succeed elsewhere. Unless they make a deal and get a dman that is a true #2 or #3 you can't move your young dman.

The issue the habs have is with Markov hurt, that their vetern Dman - Gill and Spacek are both suited to that #6 role at this point in their careers. Their other veteran - Gorges was another blunder signing in the off season (1 year deal) and you risk losing him for nothing at the end of the year. So next year, the issue at defence doesn't get any better.

If you look at Myers struggles in Buffalo and even Doughty's struggles in LA, Schenn's struggles in Toronto, it demonstrates something that everyone should know, DMan take 4-5 years to develop. That is why i think our expectation and some of the fans expectations of Subban, Weber, Diaz and Emelin are unrealistic. If we had the right veterans in place (real top 3 dman), they could be paired with the young players and help them develop. Getting Markov back will go a long way to help that cause.

THe habs have typically never given their dman (with the exception of Markov Gorges and Komi) that long to fully develop. With the exception of Markov, they tend to lose the guys that they do develop and I fear that they will lose Gorges now as well.

Do you know if Gauthier put anyone on IR thereby indirectly freeing cap space?  Because I'd love to use some of that space to acquire someone.  I would seriously package Cammalleri and Weber and see what I can get.

It only frees up cap space if the player is done for the season. If he returns later in the year, you need to again clear the same cap space to bring him back into the lineup.

That said, Cammalleri would be one of the last players I move given his playoff performances. He might be struggling a little right now, but he's hit a bunch of posts, and its obvious that the injury from earlier in the year is effecting him. He's a streaky scorer, once he gets one or two, the goals will pour in for a few weeks. Markov passing to set up his one timer, will help as well.

It only frees up cap space if the player is done for the season. If he returns later in the year, you need to again clear the same cap space to bring him back into the lineup.

That said, Cammalleri would be one of the last players I move given his playoff performances. He might be struggling a little right now, but he's hit a bunch of posts, and its obvious that the injury from earlier in the year is effecting him. He's a streaky scorer, once he gets one or two, the goals will pour in for a few weeks. Markov passing to set up his one timer, will help as well.

You know I've often wondered if we package Cammy with enough incentives, if we could snag a guy like Malkin. If and when Crosby comes back and demonstrates he can be symptom free, I can't see how the Pens can afford to have two guys making $8.7M at centre and Jordan Stall making $5M. Eventually something has to give and I can't see them wanting to move Crosby or Stall.

Crosby also has never really had a real sniping winger and given Cammy's playoff record over the last two years, they might be tempted - but we would really need to sweeten the deal to make it happen.

Malkin would FINALLY give us that hulking centre who can play all situations, should also help Pleks production. A top three of Malkin-Pleks-Eller would be a wet dream.