Disciplinary decisions by Brendan Shanahan

brobin

I can see the head position changing argument on the Taylor Hall/Alex Edler hit on Saturday.

But in this instance his head does not change position anymore than Ben Smith or Justin Abdelkeder. All three had their head down, during the play, there isn't a significant lunge forward here not when compared to those two.

• 2 weeks later...

Letang gets two games for boarding Burmistrov (received a 2 min minor in-game). One less weapon for the Habs to face on Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. What is going on here? Sutton gets 5 games for hitting Landeskog and Wolski gets nothing for the Alfredsson hit?

I have been all for Shanny so far but I think he really messed up on this one.

Wolski should have got something in my opinion..

Wow. What is going on here? Sutton gets 5 games for hitting Landeskog and Wolski gets nothing for the Alfredsson hit?

I have been all for Shanny so far but I think he really messed up on this one.

Wolski should have got something in my opinion..

agreed. I clearly thought to have seen a bling side hit there.

agreed. I clearly thought to have seen a bling side hit there.

I agree it's surprising that there was no supplementary discipline, but from the angles I'm not sure that Wolski targets the head. That might have been the deciding factor.

I agree it's surprising that there was no supplementary discipline, but from the angles I'm not sure that Wolski targets the head. That might have been the deciding factor.

I hear what you are saying and at the same time I feel dirty accepting this reasoning.

A blind side hit "not targeting the head" took out Sid, no?

I am not saying this was the same thing but a blind side hit will nail the head 6.79 times out of 10. If this is right then intentional or not; imo the league needs to puts it's pants on. Maybe if the insurance companies would stop pay out of player salary, in cases like these then the league and teams would take player safety more seriously. I truelly believe this will also show a greater respect to the fans of these players, teams and the game.

Don't quote me on the numbers I might be off from the ones Don the Cherry may have. Sorry if a any point i may hav come off as a Cherry like fascist.

I'd rather see people get suspended for diving.

I agree that something needs to be done about diving... but head hits are of greater concern IMO. Concussions are a serious issue that will effect the player's quality of life for the rest of their lives. Diving isn't the same health concern.

I agree that something needs to be done about diving... but head hits are of greater concern IMO. Concussions are a serious issue that will effect the player's quality of life for the rest of their lives. Diving isn't the same health concern.

Thing with blindside hits, many of them are unintentional, suspending people for unintentional actions doesn't really have an affect on the game, it will make people more timid with physical play perhaps... but I like the steps that have been taken this season in that regard. Diving hasn't been a problem to start the season, but I didn't enjoy watching the stanley cup final this year. Not at all. If it happens again this year I want something to happen.

Thing with blindside hits, many of them are unintentional, suspending people for unintentional actions doesn't really have an affect on the game, it will make people more timid with physical play perhaps... but I like the steps that have been taken this season in that regard. Diving hasn't been a problem to start the season, but I didn't enjoy watching the stanley cup final this year. Not at all. If it happens again this year I want something to happen.

They may be unintentional but they are still reckless, and I have no issue when reckless plays are suspended.

They may be unintentional but they are still reckless, and I have no issue when reckless plays are suspended.

I agree, but if the playoffs are determined by which team is best at acting like they are hurt... I won't be watching.

There is no reason why you can't address both issues at the same time.

True, but diving isn't going to be looked at till it goes to far. I just want them to do something preventative instead of reactionary once it is a problem.

Maybe make it an unsportsmanlike major with a 5 min power play for the other team and the player is gone for the match.

It would make diving to risky.

True, but diving isn't going to be looked at till it goes to far. I just want them to do something preventative instead of reactionary once it is a problem.

Maybe make it an unsportsmanlike major with a 5 min power play for the other team and the player is gone for the match.

It would make diving to risky.

The problem is defining what is and isn't a dive. What we as fans think is someone diving quite often is...but quite often isn't. Giving a major penalty and a game misconduct for something that at the best of times is a judgment call is going down a risky path where an official can directly affect the outcome of a game. Yes, most calls are judgment ones and have to be made in a split second but putting more on the referee's shoulders probably isn't going to end well.

Consider the following: Habs/Bruins, Montreal powerplay, Gionta's in his usual spot in front of the net with Chara 'working him over.' Chara's stick hits Gionta's back in a cross checking-like motion, the Hab captain goes down. Is what happened...

a) Chara hitting him illegally;

b) Gionta diving;

c) Gionta losing balance;

d) Gionta falling because of the size/weight differential between he and Chara;

e) Any combination of the above?

I'd hate to see Gionta thrown out if an overambitious official (or Chris Lee) concludes that he deliberately dove. 5 and a game for that? Boy, that'd be tough to handle. I'd like to see them do something about diving as well but pretty much everything I think of puts more pressure on the referees and would likely cause more problems with complaints about unwarranted ejections that directly affected a game than we would about actual dives themselves. I can't say that's a better option than the system we have today where a discretionary minor can be assessed.

The problem is defining what is and isn't a dive. What we as fans think is someone diving quite often is...but quite often isn't. Giving a major penalty and a game misconduct for something that at the best of times is a judgment call is going down a risky path where an official can directly affect the outcome of a game. Yes, most calls are judgment ones and have to be made in a split second but putting more on the referee's shoulders probably isn't going to end well.

Consider the following: Habs/Bruins, Montreal powerplay, Gionta's in his usual spot in front of the net with Chara 'working him over.' Chara's stick hits Gionta's back in a cross checking-like motion, the Hab captain goes down. Is what happened...

a) Chara hitting him illegally;

b) Gionta diving;

c) Gionta losing balance;

d) Gionta falling because of the size/weight differential between he and Chara;

e) Any combination of the above?

I'd hate to see Gionta thrown out if an overambitious official (or Chris Lee) concludes that he deliberately dove. 5 and a game for that? Boy, that'd be tough to handle. I'd like to see them do something about diving as well but pretty much everything I think of puts more pressure on the referees and would likely cause more problems with complaints about unwarranted ejections that directly affected a game than we would about actual dives themselves. I can't say that's a better option than the system we have today where a discretionary minor can be assessed.

Very good point. In which case I fully support a game suspension (reviewed after the game) for diving.

Very good point. In which case I fully support a game suspension (reviewed after the game) for diving.

what if it looked like a dive and it really was: d) Gionta falling because of the size/weight differential between he and Chara

and we loose Gio for a game?

If it is playoff time I think ppl would start thinking Clarence Campbell is back in office and that Oh mon Captain is french Canadian. Not a tiny American. <_<:P

On a side note: Listened to sports 590 - They interviewed a Toronto doctor who is developping a sports "collar" which is designed to reduce concussions. He claimed that it reduced concussions by 80% in the test cases. The theory behind it is they take some of the swish out of head cavity by forcing extra blood in that area. Hey, take the hard caps out, use the collar and maybe we can seriously reduce Shanahan's gig.

On a side note: Listened to sports 590 - They interviewed a Toronto doctor who is developping a sports "collar" which is designed to reduce concussions. He claimed that it reduced concussions by 80% in the test cases. The theory behind it is they take some of the swish out of head cavity by forcing extra blood in that area. Hey, take the hard caps out, use the collar and maybe we can seriously reduce Shanahan's gig.

other ideas:

- have a skating speed limit

- have players wear Sumo suits

- flag hockey (no-touch body checks)

- if a team concusses an opponent, they lose a point in the standings

• Upvote 1

Actually I was quite serious. I am not surprised if you would get some following to your approach. Brendan has done a reasonably good job reducing the number of head shots in the game. The unfortunate part is that you are seeing a lot less body contact. I don't watch girls hockey for a reason and I don't want to see our game reduced to Skirty Scurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Shanny now has me befuddled. According to this http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=601357 there was no intent to injure, therefore no suspension. But according to his other suspension reviews, intent or not, a wreckless hit to the head is a suspendable offence, I give up. He sucks. Biased as always, that's todays NHL.

Shanny now has me befuddled. According to this http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=601357 there was no intent to injure, therefore no suspension. But according to his other suspension reviews, intent or not, a wreckless hit to the head is a suspendable offence, I give up. He sucks. Biased as always, that's todays NHL.

I didn't find the hit reckless at all.