Disciplinary decisions by Brendan Shanahan

brobin

Nothing wrong with the Lucic hit on Miller. If the goalie leaves his crease, he should be treated like any other player.

Well except for the fact that the league rule book specifically states that even when the goalie leaves the crease he is NOT fair game to be hit. What the rule should be isn't the debate here. If the rule needs to be changed in the future, then maybe it needs to be changed. But under the rules as they are written in the NHL rule book, what Lucic did was breaking the rule.

Nothing wrong with the Lucic hit on Miller. If the goalie leaves his crease, he should be treated like any other player.

I really believe it is classless to deck a goalie. Yes this is hockey and its a physical game, but why on earth would anyone want players running over the goalie. I like goalies coming out and playing the puck because it keeps the game going. It is bad hockey to run over a goalie.

If I see more of this in the game I am going to be pissed. Its just pathetic.

I really believe it is classless to deck a goalie. Yes this is hockey and its a physical game, but why on earth would anyone want players running over the goalie. I like goalies coming out and playing the puck because it keeps the game going. It is bad hockey to run over a goalie.

If I see more of this in the game I am going to be pissed. Its just pathetic.

Come on, the goalie is the most padded player on the ice. If he wants to skate around, then he needs to man up and accept physical play. If a goalie is making a play on the puck outside of his crease, why should he get special treatment? That's not fair to the opposing player who is also going after the puck. It's as bad as how coddled quarterbacks are in the NFL.

Here's an idea: since you're not allowed to touch a goalie, why pull him for an extra attacker? Just send him down into the offensive zone to wreak havoc. Put him in front of the net and nobody will be allowed to move him!

Well except for the fact that the league rule book specifically states that even when the goalie leaves the crease he is NOT fair game to be hit. What the rule should be isn't the debate here. If the rule needs to be changed in the future, then maybe it needs to be changed. But under the rules as they are written in the NHL rule book, what Lucic did was breaking the rule.

So Lucic is just supposed to give Miller the benefit of the doubt that he's going to get to the puck first? For it to be a penalty, Lucic has to be intending on hitting him. They were both going for the puck, so the contact was incidental.

Come on, the goalie is the most padded player on the ice. If he wants to skate around, then he needs to man up and accept physical play. If a goalie is making a play on the puck outside of his crease, why should he get special treatment? That's not fair to the opposing player who is also going after the puck. It's as bad as how coddled quarterbacks are in the NFL.

Here's an idea: since you're not allowed to touch a goalie, why pull him for an extra attacker? Just send him down into the offensive zone to wreak havoc. Put him in front of the net and nobody will be allowed to move him!

I know you're joking, but goalies can't cross centre without penalty. :)

Pushing, nudging, knocking over a goalie over would fine, I am not saying touching them should be a 10 game suspension here.

A huge open ice charging hit, when you have time to avoid him? Yeah no. Thats just bad. He could have avoided or just knocked him over. He didn't need to fully deck him, that was a huge hit, had Miller not straightened up RIGHT before contact it would have been a head shot.

That doesn't stop them from trying though

hahaha that was hilarious! Roy looked like Dennis Savard right there haha :P

So Lucic is just supposed to give Miller the benefit of the doubt that he's going to get to the puck first? For it to be a penalty, Lucic has to be intending on hitting him. They were both going for the puck, so the contact was incidental.

If Lucic just runs into him, thats incidental contact. That wasn't what happened, when Lucic saw he wouldn't get to the puck first, he threw a body check to Miller, raising his arms and following through on the hit. He has to pull up and not bury the guy, if he still makes some contact when pulling up, then that would be okay, but the act of following through and making sure to "finish his check" is the part that is unacceptable IMO. He may not have been able to totally avoid any contact with the goalie, but that doesnt mean he has to follow through with the big hit either.

If Lucic just runs into him, thats incidental contact. That wasn't what happened, when Lucic saw he wouldn't get to the puck first, he threw a body check to Miller, raising his arms and following through on the hit. He has to pull up and not bury the guy, if he still makes some contact when pulling up, then that would be okay, but the act of following through and making sure to "finish his check" is the part that is unacceptable IMO. He may not have been able to totally avoid any contact with the goalie, but that doesnt mean he has to follow through with the big hit either.

Hence the penalty. But not suspension worthy. He followed up on a hit against a player who isn't supposed to be hit. It's akin to interference.

Hence the penalty.  But not suspension worthy.  He followed up on a hit against a player who isn't supposed to be hit.  It's akin to interference.

It was more than that though, this is pretty much the biggest hit we've seen on a goalie in years. In fact at GMs meetings today, about 2/3 of NHL GMs voted that it should have been a suspension.

That is should have been a suspension, or that they wanted to increase the protection of goalies so that it would become suspendable Reading the quotes from Shanny, it looks to me like they're feeling they need to tinker with the rules and that what happened, while disappointing, was at least handled within the rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna be interesting to see the fallout of Shanny's decision on Tootoo.

If Tootoo is suspended, Shanny is viewed as bias and inconsistent. Both qualities you can't have in his position.

If Tootoo isn't suspended, Shanny will unofficially declare that it's ok to run goalies, making every goalie at risk for serious injury because there's no repercussion for doing so.

Only solution Shanny can make that will save his own ass and goalies across the league is suspending Tootoo and handing out a late suspension on Lucic. Anything short of that would call for Shanny immediately resigning his position. He can be ineffective, bias or correct a clear mistake. Two of which causes serious repercussion to him and the role of disciplinary for the league, one of which gains respect of alot of people for admitting he made a mistake and correcting it.

Mark my words, if Tootoo is suspended, withing a 5 years and as early as next year, there will be a system to dispute disciplinary hearings through a 3rd party. It's getting to the point over the last few years it is necessary, the NFL already has a disciplinary dispute system in place, why doesn't the NHL?

Gonna be interesting to see the fallout of Shanny's decision on Tootoo.

If Tootoo is suspended, Shanny is viewed as bias and inconsistent. Both qualities you can't have in his position.

If Tootoo isn't suspended, Shanny will unofficially declare that it's ok to run goalies, making every goalie at risk for serious injury because there's no repercussion for doing so.

Only solution Shanny can make that will save his own ass and goalies across the league is suspending Tootoo and handing out a late suspension on Lucic. Anything short of that would call for Shanny immediately resigning his position. He can be ineffective, bias or correct a clear mistake. Two of which causes serious repercussion to him and the role of disciplinary for the league, one of which gains respect of alot of people for admitting he made a mistake and correcting it.

Mark my words, if Tootoo is suspended, withing a 5 years and as early as next year, there will be a system to dispute disciplinary hearings through a 3rd party. It's getting to the point over the last few years it is necessary, the NFL already has a disciplinary dispute system in place, why doesn't the NHL?

Unfortunately, I don't think that there's any way to hand Lucic a late suspension. My guess that is if Tootoo is given anything at all, Shanny will stress Tootoo's suspension history as reason for fine/suspension, and thus placate the majority of the masses. But letting off Lucic scot-free has certainly put Shanny in a tough position.

Problem is that Lucic is a repeat offender.

He was suspended in the 2009 Playoffs for 1 game for crosschecking Lapierre in the face.

He was also fined for an incident in a game last year where he received a match penalty for sucker punching Freddy Mayer of Atlanta. He was supposed to be suspended for 1 game automatically for the match penalty but the league rescinded the suspension and made it a fine instead.

So the "Tootoo is a repeat offender and Lucic isn't" explanation won't fly.

They will have some arbitrary reason why the two hits were different, inventing rules.

almost as bad as letting Malone off as 'the head moved slightly' when it was clear Malone was going to cream him regardless with a high hit. Then, he makes the spurious claim that Pacs shifted to purposely target the head. LOL...

I would like to know why the Pens were allowed to put Letang back in to score the BS goal, and now he is out and can't play. This is the team with the poster child for hits to the head.. the guy out a year because he was allowed to play after the first hit. The guy who's injury changed the rules where any hit to the head or injury requires the quiet room and extreme caution before the player can return to the ice.

While I like the changes, I find there is no credibility with the pens. Between this nonsense and employing Cooke.. they are hypocrites.

Boston sure does seem to get away with murder. The owner basically drove the rehiring of Bettman and suddenly, everything goes there way. when they were in tight against Tampa with the Tampa PP killing them, we see zero penalties called. LOL.

In my opinion, Tootoo was making a hockey play and driving the net. At the last minute, he clearly tried to avoid the contact. I have no issue with the penalties on the play, but Lucic CHOSE to hit Miller and hit him hard. He dropped the shoulder and nailed him. Two minutes.

The blatant bias in this league goes on and on. I look forward to the weasle words in the next decision from Shanny.

On a side note: Listened to sports 590 - They interviewed a Toronto doctor who is developping a sports "collar" which is designed to reduce concussions. He claimed that it reduced concussions by 80% in the test cases. The theory behind it is they take some of the swish out of head cavity by forcing extra blood in that area. Hey, take the hard caps out, use the collar and maybe we can seriously reduce Shanahan's gig.

How did they test this, by putting it on people and then pushing them out the window? :P