Habs Sign Chris Campoli

mineral

I guess that it has become obvious that Markov won't be ready for a while. Obviously Gauthier wants to make sure that the defense will be deep and solid right from the start. I conclude that management believes that we have a very good shot to go far this year.

I can't stop thinking of Campoli's gaffe in Game 7 that lost Chicago the series. Nevertheless, he's a good stop-gap until Markov is back, he's pretty cheap and will be useful when Spaceman needs a break.

I also want Markov badly. But if he needs to more months to get ready, having Campolli in the line-up will help Martin quite a bit. It will be easier to be patient if we manage to win earlier on, don't you think so?

When we consider that a playoff participation will likely be clinched by 1 or 2 points, those games early in the year are as important, if not more. It's obviously sad because we think it means Markov is nowhere a return. However, if Markov start or not, we don't know what can happen. Subban could be down longer than expected as well, who knows with those nagging back injuries.

Also, I don't know if I'm wrong, but can Campoli play the wing as well? Could play the role Streit played for the Habs, not too long ago.

From what I understand about Campoli he is fast and polished with the puck and able to cover up any mistakes he makes. But they say he can be weak at times in his own zone and can get pushed around a bit in front of his own net. Overall, I think a decent pick up that gives us some more depth.

I can't stop thinking of Campoli's gaffe in Game 7 that lost Chicago the series. Nevertheless, he's a good stop-gap until Markov is back, he's pretty cheap and will be useful when Spaceman needs a break.

I don't know if you can judge a player based on one play especially considering some of the ridiculous brain cramps Beaulieu has made this pre-season. He is another puck moving defenseman in the fold and adds depth. I am not going to worry about the sky falling just yet.

Looks as though Trotter has been released too. I thought that he looked pretty good... Well, I guess I was mistaken.

Trotter is playing tonight. I don't see anywhere that he'll be among the cuts just yet. Possible, but haven't seen it.

Trotter is playing tonight. I don't see anywhere that he'll be among the cuts just yet. Possible, but haven't seen it.

He has been waived. This doesn't mean he can't play tonight. He will be among the announced cuts after the game though (wasn't among the cuts just announced now).

Also JCPetit, this doesn't mean he has been released. If he clears waivers, he'll be Hamilton-bound.

He has been waived. This doesn't mean he can't play tonight. He will be among the announced cuts after the game though (wasn't among the cuts just announced now).

Also JCPetit, this doesn't mean he has been released. If he clears waivers, he'll be Hamilton-bound.

So I guess not the good timing for Trotter to have a Gordie-Howe-hat-trick tonight.

So I guess not the good timing for Trotter to have a Gordie-Howe-hat-trick tonight.

Is it possible the Habs are doing him a favour? One last chance to showcase himself for another team since he won't be making the Habs?

Bob Mac tweeted that Weber's days in Montreal may be done. Take it as a rumor, but he is not one to randomly throw crap out.

who's Bob Mac??? Do you mean bob mckenzie?? I really wish the habs would give Weber and Diaz a chance and move Spacek. That would save cap room for a scorer later on.

I think this is an okay signing, would have preferred a net clearing physically imposing Dman. Campoli kind of looks like a lot of what we have in the pipeline (weber, Diaz), and it would have been great if we picked up more depth on the blueline that was phyisically imposing (Yemelin should help). Having said that $1.75M and 1 year is not too much of a commitment.

He would probably be better off if he wasn't a minus 2 or 3. Besides has Boston got anybody in his weight categorie? I expect another 10/12 players to be cut after the game

He must've pulled it as reading through his Twitter page, there is no such thing there.

Could be.. he said "maybe".. so perhaps he realized it was just speculation, not a 'lead". Personally, I would rather Weber be gone that Markov or Subban being out to the point they brought in Campoli.

If Trotter has been waived, I could see Winnipeg claiming him.

Could be.. he said "maybe".. so perhaps he realized it was just speculation, not a 'lead". Personally, I would rather Weber be gone that Markov or Subban being out to the point they brought in Campoli.

Didn't realize there was anything serious with Subban. If both Markov AND Subban are out for any extended period, we are screwed.

I'm no expert on Campoli, but at face value I like this signing. Better this, than wasting picks in mid-season like we've done for two of the past three years in order to fill holes on defence. I have said for some time that it is naive to rely on unproven commodities like Weber, Diaz, and Emelin to provide quality NHL minutes, and given Markov's recent history we need proven NHLers who can move the puck should #79 miss a lot of time. A perfectly sensible acquisition.

(I wouldn't proceed to move Weber, though. Of the three players listed above he is the one with at least some meaningful NHL experience; better to let him and Campoli fight it out for that roster spot).