Campoli OK, Malone no suspension

BCHabnut

I accept the reasoning behind it. Is there a new headshot rule, where ALL hits to the head are ilegal? If there is not, then it was a dirty hit, but not ilegal. I would not say he approached from the blindside, unless you factor in that Campoli had his head down. I don't want big hits to leave the game, and the way the suspensions were going, that is what would have happened, I completely agree with Don Cherry on this, and I think the game could be improved, by regulating pads. First, take away the red line. Then remove the ability to slow down the other player, then increase salaries and pressure on players to improve speed and strength, now give them suits of armour so they look like optimus prime. Then you question why players are getting permanently messed up?

I accept the reasoning behind it. Is there a new headshot rule, where ALL hits to the head are ilegal? If there is not, then it was a dirty hit, but not ilegal. I would not say he approached from the blindside, unless you factor in that Campoli had his head down. I don't want big hits to leave the game, and the way the suspensions were going, that is what would have happened, I completely agree with Don Cherry on this, and I think the game could be improved, by regulating pads. First, take away the red line. Then remove the ability to slow down the other player, then increase salaries and pressure on players to improve speed and strength, now give them suits of armour so they look like optimus prime. Then you question why players are getting permanently messed up?

Yeah as much as I dislike him, he's got that one right. I definitely want to see equipment size reduced.

I remember I read an article from Wayne Gretzky, and he said, that when he broke in the league that during practice they wouldn't where helmets or shoulder pads, this way the hitting was softer, and the shots were lower. So if they did that in practice it would translate into the way the approached the real games.

I am not so sure, given the other suspensions. The fact that he drove up into the head during the hit is what annoys me. I have hit and been hit in hockey and driving up is what causes all the problems. It is completely preventable. He could have hit him by trying to hit through and gotten the head, but if he had done that, he would have missed him. Watch is upper body drive up into his head.

Brendon Shannahan has done a real good job as the new "Judge".I also like that if he gives a player a substantial suspension he makes a short but to the point video,I don't think he will do this for every 1 or he will be on tv more than Don Cherry.

I've watched most of the videos and I really don't see what makes this hit different from others that have been suspended.

I'm not seeing the "changed the position of his head just prior to contact" that Shanahan explained as the reason for the non suspension.

The player himself thought he was going to be suspended. That should say something about the lack of one for this hit. And if you bring in the magic bullet of "intent", Malone has something up his arse all game.

Short and sweet: Given the other hits that have been deemed worthy of a suspension this preseason, this hit fell in that category as well. Had Shanny NOT been wielding the big ban stick already, I would not have thought this hit would warrant a suspension.

I've watched most of the videos and I really don't see what makes this hit different from others that have been suspended.

I'm not seeing the "changed the position of his head just prior to contact" that Shanahan explained as the reason for the non suspension.

I agree, i guess the pressure is getting to Shanahan already, i thought he had some fortitude (for lack of better owrd) but same old and this hit deserved at least a token couple games, hit Campoli's head only, was not going for puck one bit, one sided game, etc.

I cant stand that some say, Campoli is not hurt so it was OK, that should almost be irrevelant.shouldn't it?? Broken neck meant nothing in another hit i can recall.

Shanahan has mentioned injury as a factor in justifying suspensions. So I think does play into the decision. (And I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that; after all, if I punch you in the face but fail to cause serious injury, I'm guilty of assault; if I punch you in the face and you die, I'm guilty of involuntary manslaughter; if I punch you in the face and it barely hurts, I'm - probably - guilty of nothing but being a jerk).

Watching the replay again, I think it should have been a suspension. This decision puts the onus on Campoli rather than Malone, which is precisely the kind of faulty reasoning that got the NHL into this whole mess. But I'm willing to give Shanny a pass on the grounds that nobody's perfect. If this sort of decision becomes a pattern, then it'll be really bad news.

The player himself thought he was going to be suspended. That should say something about the lack of one for this hit. And if you bring in the magic bullet of "intent", Malone has something up his arse all game.

Short and sweet: Given the other hits that have been deemed worthy of a suspension this preseason, this hit fell in that category as well. Had Shanny NOT been wielding the big ban stick already, I would not have thought this hit would warrant a suspension.

Dunno what Malone had, but he was a dangerous freak assassin all game long. That's when you like to have a guy like Kenopka in your lineup to calm those ones.

Dunno what Malone had, but he was a dangerous freak assassin all game long. That's when you like to have a guy like Kenopka in your lineup to calm those ones.

So guys like Konopka are around for pre-season games. Was wondering why.

Campoli is ok. Well the ok that he will last with heads down.

This is more what it will lool like thursday from this morning line up

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Darche-Desharnais-Cole

Moen-Engqvist-Weber

Gill-Subban

Gorges-Campoli

Spacek-Diaz

I am surprise to see Cole on the third line but as soon as AK46 will slow down

Cole is with Plek.

Diaz over Weber and Yemelin, gotta give it to Diaz he himproved

throught the camp.

What does Engqvist does to stay there ? Can he play good penalty killing ?

Can he win faceoffs ? Hopefully Eller is back soon but even then Desharnais

is not a 4th liner grinder, but he can both play PK and PP.

What does Engqvist does to stay there ? Can he play good penalty killing ?

Can he win faceoffs ? Hopefully Eller is back soon but even then Desharnais

is not a 4th liner grinder, but he can both play PK and PP.

We really do have an odd situation at center won't we when Eller comes back

I had high hopes for Engqvist watching him in the AHL.... but he was bad in preseason.

I'm not sure he's the 4th line Centre we need.

In fact i think that if White was healthy, he might have the 4th line C spot, and Endqvist might be in Hamilton right now.

I could even see us going after another C, maybe a waiver claim, or maybe a trade.

Campoli at least partially addresses the glaring need we had for NHL-quality defencemen who can help the PP. (Time will tell just how much of a help this is). But this team, puzzlingly, still lacks a replacement for Halpern, i.e., a quality 4th-line C who can reliably win faceoffs. I know DD has a good faceoff percentage, but it might be a tad optimistic to count on a hobbit to grind out faceoff wins game after game. And if that's 'a tad optimistic,' then thinking Enqvist (or any rookie) could be relied on for this is sheer folly. In short, I'm a bit bemused by Gauthier's inaction on this file. I just hope we don't have to lose games before he takes action - and I certainly hope we don't have to urinate a 2nd-round pick down the drain like we did with Moore a couple of years ago to fix a problem that could simply have been solved by re-signing Halpern.

Just saying.

Campoli at least partially addresses the glaring need we had for NHL-quality defencemen who can help the PP. (Time will tell just how much of a help this is). But this team, puzzlingly, still lacks a replacement for Halpern, i.e., a quality 4th-line C who can reliably win faceoffs. I know DD has a good faceoff percentage, but it might be a tad optimistic to count on a hobbit to grind out faceoff wins game after game. And if that's 'a tad optimistic,' then thinking Enqvist (or any rookie) could be relied on for this is sheer folly. In short, I'm a bit bemused by Gauthier's inaction on this file. I just hope we don't have to lose games before he takes action - and I certainly hope we don't have to urinate a 2nd-round pick down the drain like we did with Moore a couple of years ago to fix a problem that could simply have been solved by re-signing Halpern.

Just saying.

Ha ha, I just finish writing this, and Gauthier goes out and gets Betts! :D Problem solved. Good move by the Goat, who has clearly been reading my gripes about the team's make-up ;)

has anyone asked shanny if he would've suspended Chara last season?

I don't think anyone has... but the question is pointless...

Mike Murphy is still part of Shanahan's department and he actually made the ruling.

Collie is still an executive in the NHL, just in a different department now.

He will probably no comment it... not throwing his coworkers under the bus.

That one still makes Me angry. The footage obviously shows Chara push directly on his head and force it into the turnbuckle. His excuse of speed and timing was nonsense. Sedins agreed. Any high level trophy winning player knows where he and others are on the ice. He can make a cross ice pass and time not only the pass but other players trying to intercept it. He can time body checks where the player is coming toward him and there is more to watch like forwards coming up the middle of the ice. I believe it was a calculated hit and it bothers me to this day. The fact that there was a publicized feud between them didn't help either.

That one still makes Me angry. The footage obviously shows Chara push directly on his head and force it into the turnbuckle. His excuse of speed and timing was nonsense. Sedins agreed. Any high level trophy winning player knows where he and others are on the ice. He can make a cross ice pass and time not only the pass but other players trying to intercept it. He can time body checks where the player is coming toward him and there is more to watch like forwards coming up the middle of the ice. I believe it was a calculated hit and it bothers me to this day. The fact that there was a publicized feud between them didn't help either.

Oh yeah, the case against Chara is glaring. He tried to get Pacioretty the previous two games; Pacioretty publicly stated going into the game that he knew he had a target on his back; the game in question was a high-prestige 'revenge' match in which a team getting humiliated (as Boston was) is the most dangerous scenario for out-of-control violence (c.f. Bertuzzi on Moore); the 'hit' conveniently occured after the game in question was totally out of reach for the Bruins and he knew his ejection would not hurt the team (c.f. Bertuzzi on Moore); Chara is an elite athelete who had to have known the stantion was there; Patches was nowhere near the puck (which is why it was interference); and he very clearly drives Pacioretty's head into the stantion.

That's a 'hockey play' like the Iraq War is a game of patty-cake.

Chara flirted with involuntary manslaughter as far as I'm concerned, and everyone involved should thank God that he got lucky and correctly estimated how much force he could apply without killing Pacioretty. A few more PSI of force and we would not be talking about a 'hit,' we would be talking about a dead body on the ice. Absolutely inexcusable.