Blair Betts is claimed, fails physical & is sent back to Philly

Commandant

Too true! I think the Habs will be a good team this year but, in order to get over the hump into the elite class, they need Markov. Hopefully for Montreal's sake he's not out of the lineup too long!

Markov played 7 games last year. Even if hes back at the end of november and only plays 60 games for the Habs, we are massively improved just by having him in the lineup.

We are contenders, and with all of our young assets, dont be surprised to see the Habs pick up an elite player at the trade deadline!

As long as Markov comes back towards the end I am happy, there isn't a way we will miss the playoffs even without Markov, we got better. He is the key too really put us without question in the top quarter of the league.

Jeff Woywitka claimed by the Rangers.

We hardly knew ya.

I guess my favourite Woywitka moment will have to be the preseason goal he scored.

Pretty sure he scored twice

Anyways he is awful and had no idea what to do with puck on his stick

Diaz and even Tinordi more composed

Pretty sure he scored twice

Anyways he is awful and had no idea what to do with puck on his stick

Diaz and even Tinordi more composed

I thought he could have helped out on the farm, but other than that, I'm not too broken up about it. The way i look at it, we lost Woywitka and gained Betts... pretty clear win.

• Upvote 1

Yeah... We really do not have too worry about bottom pairing depth :P

Diaz, Weber, Yemelin, Spacek can all be the bottom pairing... and we still don't have markov yet haha Campoli will be added too the bottom pairing list then too, Woy wouldn't have ever played this season with the habs :P

Seems like a good fit but you all sound like drunken Leaf fans...he's a bottom 6 defensive forward who will help but that hardly means anyone should be saying that this puts us into contender status. This team is still a top tier scorer away from being "legit".

Seems like a good fit but you all sound like drunken Leaf fans...he's a bottom 6 defensive forward who will help but that hardly means anyone should be saying that this puts us into contender status. This team is still a top tier scorer away from being "legit".

Not many are saying that makes us contenders and always take that with a grain of salt. Sure the Habs will go to the playoffs but look at the offensive depth that Boston had last year. Peverley and Kelly who combined for 25 points in the cup run. I do not see the Habs having that type of depth to score in the playoffs, not yet. But who knows what the year will bring. I hope a few more goals than Thursday.

The "excitement" around Betts was that he addressed a glaring weakness in the 4th line. Those like me who were alarmed that Gauthier seemed prepared to go into the season without an NHL-calibre 4th-line centreman or an NHL-calibre #4-5 defenceman were heartened by the late additions of Campoli and Betts. Those moves shores up the holes in the lineup, and - assuming Campoli delivered - gave us a roster that seemed able to compete until Markov came back, at which point, on paper, we'll look damned good.

Of course, the injury to Campoli darkens the picture somewhat.

So it wasn't quite the idea that "Betts makes us contenders." It's that Betts is one credible part of the picture in terms of building a lineup we can put some faith in. As the Finals showed, the 4th line is significant, and if you don't think he brings meaningful value, check out the reaction of Flyers fans.

So speaking with and getting a Tweets from TSN 990's Amanda Stein, she has it on good authority that the Habs have sent Blair Betts back to Philly because he failed his physical.

That speaks to woeful due diligence on the part of the Habs.

What are your thoughts on the situation?

I don't think this is a fault of the Habs at all, Kamal. If anything, the Flyers circumvented league rules by placing an injured player on waivers. When a player is on waivers, you have to logically assume he's healthy, otherwise he can't be waived. The Habs did their due diligence by making him take a physical when they first had an opportunity and then exercised their right to send him back once they realized Philly cheated by waiving an injured player.

So speaking with and getting a Tweets from TSN 990's Amanda Stein, she has it on good authority that the Habs have sent Blair Betts back to Philly because he failed his physical.

That speaks to woeful due diligence on the part of the Habs.

What are your thoughts on the situation?

How is that woeful diligence on the part of the Habs? How were they supposed to do a physical of the guy before acquiring him?

They did the physical and he failed so they sent him back.

This is the way these things are supposed to work.

If its bad due diligence, explain how the due diligence is supposed to be performed in this situation?

Yeah he's been sent back to the Flyers... :(

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=595216

With last year's Masterton winner Ian Laperriere (don't get me going on how loony that is) on LTIR and Schenn still in the minors, they're just under. Also, it should be noted that Betts' cap hit while in Montreal has been transferred to the Flyers as per Bettman's ruling.