Blair Betts is claimed, fails physical & is sent back to Philly

Commandant

From TSN:

"To make room for Betts on the roster, the Canadiens placed defenceman Jeff Woywitka on waivers and sent forwards Michael Blunden, Ian Schultz and Aaron Palushaj to Hamilton of the American Hockey League."

WOW, they needed to free up 4 spots for this guy........ he MUST be good :rofl:

I think he'll probably take Eller's spot for the first few games, because I think they'll give Eller a week or two to prepare before getting back into contact games. Should give everyone an idea of where Betts and Engqvist fit wrt to the 4th line center position. Could be a year-long competition, too, which I think is good too. Depth is awesome, and necessary. So I like it.

I think he'll probably take Eller's spot for the first few games, because I think they'll give Eller a week or two to prepare before getting back into contact games. Should give everyone an idea of where Betts and Engqvist fit wrt to the 4th line center position. Could be a year-long competition, too, which I think is good too. Depth is awesome, and necessary. So I like it.

Eller has been skating full out, but with the non-contact jersey for 2 weeks now. He's expected to get clearance for contact today. I don't think he's 2 weeks away, because the Habs aren't putting him on IR (which would mean out for one week minimum). I could see him playing in Winnipeg to be honest.

Really glad to see him here... Like I said in the first post, he's everything we need.

Well, everything with one exception, it'd be nice if he was a RH shot... but hey, even as a lefty with Engqvist a righty, i still think Betts is a huge upgrade.

I'm shocked we picked him up to be honest but this is a move I really like. Betts and Rupp were 2 guys I was hoping Gauthier would pick up last year which obviously never happened but it looks like am 1 year too late.

Betts is not an overly physical player but he is one of the best PKer's in the league. For those who don't remember he was also part of Pearn's #1 tandems while with the Rangers.

Picking up Steckel i think would have still been a better choice because of his faceoff prowess but Betts is a definite upgrade for that 4th line. Can;t wait to see White back for that Moen-Betts-White line.

This is good! I recall Betts being one of the many Flyers with size that created problems for our smaller forwards. And now we've got him. Good on face-offs, possibly more useful than Jeff Halpern was. Don't look now, but with Eric Cole, we're quietly getting bigger, stronger and more "North American".

Good pickup in my opinion. Should free Pleks up for more offensive zone faceoffs.

Also, anyone check out Betts PIM totals? The most he's ever had in a season is 24. He had 8 last year!

This fills the last glaringly obvious hole in our team make-up - i.e., the absence of a Halpern replacement. Good move by a GM who clearly knows what he's doing even if he takes his time getting around to doing it :thumbs_up:

This fills the last glaringly obvious hole in our team make-up - i.e., the absence of a Halpern replacement. Good move by a GM who clearly knows what he's doing even if he takes his time getting around to doing it :thumbs_up:

+1. I like this move.

I'm also glad that JM took the time to evaluate if a youngster could do the job before spending more money on a vet.

• Upvote 1

Was a bit scared on our lower line centers so am really happy about this. Remember some people saying Betts was one of the best defensive centers in the league when on the Rangers but that his lack of offence kept him unnoticed.

Good Call on Betts.

Glad to see the Habs henchmen are checking out HW forums...

Nah, my guess is that they sent Commandant, one of Gauthier's assistants, to our forum in order to sell us this wonderful waiver addition.

Really glad to see him here... Like I said in the first post, he's everything we need.

Well, everything with one exception, it'd be nice if he was a RH shot... but hey, even as a lefty with Engqvist a righty, i still think Betts is a huge upgrade.

I have too say good call there

:clap: Finally we have two role players for heavier forechecking yet not goons

with defensive abilities.

Moen and and Betts.

I think we will see the best of Moen with less expectation of him being the lone

big guy up front.

If some players get abused, 5 forwards in that line up can give opponents big checks

and three of them can score goals, + two big guys with reach and defense.

Good pick up. I like our tweaks this off season and feel we are ready to make a run if healthy.

This may be early season excitement running away with me. but: with Markov healthy and no massive injuries, we are contenders. There, I said it.

Without Markov, we're still competitive, but it's a tougher slog.

This may be early season excitement running away with me. but: with Markov healthy and no massive injuries, we are contenders. There, I said it.

Without Markov, we're still competitive, but it's a tougher slog.

Too true! I think the Habs will be a good team this year but, in order to get over the hump into the elite class, they need Markov. Hopefully for Montreal's sake he's not out of the lineup too long!

I'm honestly hoping he's everything we expect him to be while wearing the CH, but i have a odd feeling (naive, perhaps?) that he might be this year's Dustin Boyd. I seriously remember very little of this guy from games against the Rangers and Philly. Maybe i'm thinking of Byron Bitz.

Too true! I think the Habs will be a good team this year but, in order to get over the hump into the elite class, they need Markov. Hopefully for Montreal's sake he's not out of the lineup too long!

We have done really well without him too this point, with him and Cole and the development of our younger players I think this is the best habs line up in a long long long time.