Montreal vs Toronto, October 6, 2011

dlbalr

To be fair, Weber wasn't brought in to replace Streit, he was drafted while the now-Islander captain was still in Montreal's system. They're not necessarily trying to replace a Swiss with another Swiss, but it does appear the Habs have targeted Switzerland as an area that may still be a little untapped with regards to player development.

This whole conversation is why I wanted Hammer over Gill. It's a tough call because Gill is such a good penalty killer but Hammer was a real number 3 defenseman who could cover for the top pairing. Gill is not that in my opinion. I'm not freaking out or anything I just would have preffered Hammer over Gill this year.

This whole conversation is why I wanted Hammer over Gill. It's a tough call because Gill is such a good penalty killer but Hammer was a real number 3 defenseman who could cover for the top pairing. Gill is not that in my opinion. I'm not freaking out or anything I just would have preffered Hammer over Gill this year.

This

Hammer signed for what, 3.5? We had the cap space to keep him.

Hammer signed for what, 3.5? We had the cap space to keep him.

Hammer was offered 3.5 for one year by the Habs. He demanded two years or he was going to UFA. He ended up signing in Washington.

The Habs were willing to keep both Hammer and Gill but they wanted them on 1 year deals.

Hammer is 38 and slowing down.... I understand why they didn't want to give him 2 years.

Especially with Price and Subban both needing raises next summer.

Hammer was offered 3.5 for one year by the Habs. He demanded two years or he was going to UFA. He ended up signing in Washington. The Habs were willing to keep both Hammer and Gill but they wanted them on 1 year deals. Hammer is 38 and slowing down.... I understand why they didn't want to give him 2 years. Especially with Price and Subban both needing raises next summer.

Well, we'll see. If the blueline keeps playing like this, then the Habs will have been dumb to send Hammer packing.