Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Today I look at the OHL's Eastern Conference, home to Sean Monahan and the Ottawa 67s, the Subban Brothers in Belleville, Schiefele and the Barrie Colts, and Ryan Kujawinski and the Kingston Frontenacs

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/09/24/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-ohl-preview-eastern-conference/

• Upvote 1

Today I look at the OHL's Eastern Conference, home to Sean Monahan and the Ottawa 67s, the Subban Brothers in Belleville, Schiefele and the Barrie Colts, and Ryan Kujawinski and the Kingston Frontenacs

http://lastwordonspo...ern-conference/

Admittedly, I don't have a great deal of knowledge about the OHL rosters yet but I look at Barrie and see them as a mid-pack team at best (and this is coming from a Barrie fan). The defence is weak beyond the top few and even offensively I'm not a big fan beyond the top line. Personally, I think their goaltending is their biggest strength, their backup is a star in the making. If the lockout ends, I think the 67's will be a team to watch out for as Niagara will be weakened as you've noted.

I didn't even realize this until now but Patrick Holland is back in the WHL for the moment. He had an assist in a pair of preseason games and has a helper in a pair of regular season games. As Hamilton's camp starts this week, he may be done with them now (their next game is the day before camp starts) but it's good to see he went back to get a few games in at least.

Admittedly, I don't have a great deal of knowledge about the OHL rosters yet but I look at Barrie and see them as a mid-pack team at best (and this is coming from a Barrie fan). The defence is weak beyond the top few and even offensively I'm not a big fan beyond the top line. Personally, I think their goaltending is their biggest strength, their backup is a star in the making. If the lockout ends, I think the 67's will be a team to watch out for as Niagara will be weakened as you've noted.

The OHL East is the conference of parity right now. Other than Belleville, no one stands out.

I gave edges to Niagara and Barrie because their top guys are NHL caliber and if they stick around they can be enough to push them just a little bit ahead of everyone else.

If those 3 guys weren't around... I'd take Oshawa as the biggest challenger to Belleville.

But really not a lot of difference between all these clubs.

And Belleville is the only one I'd give a chance to if it comes down to an OHL final vs Kitchener, London, or Plymouth. The power is in the west this year. Even a team like Guelph or Owen Sound would be the second best team if they switched conferences.

The Season previews move on the QMJHL. We look at the Maritime Division which is home to the 2-time defending Q Champs in Saint John, and the latest prospect wonderkid, Nathan MacKinnon

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/09/25/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-qmjhl-preview-maritime/

• Upvote 1

The Season previews move on the QMJHL. We look at the Maritime Division which is home to the 2-time defending Q Champs in Saint John, and the latest prospect wonderkid, Nathan MacKinnon

http://lastwordonspo...eview-maritime/

Quick question about the Saulniers. My best friend is actually their cousin and I am just curious what their ceilings are?

Quick question about the Saulniers. My best friend is actually their cousin and I am just curious what their ceilings are?

Probably AHL journeymen.

But who knows... many would have said the saem about Desharnais at the same age.

Damn good QMJHL players though.

Today I look at the WHL's East division, where the Memorial Cup hosts from Saskatoon play. In the article I take a look at Habs prospect Dalton Thrower. The team also has Darren Dietz.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/09/28/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-whl-preview-east-division/

• Upvote 1

A look at the WHL's Central Division. This is a division loaded with stars. The best team (IMO) in the CHL is here. Two Top 10 picks from the 2012 NHL Draft. Two more players who I've got as top 10 picks in 2013. And the potential first overall pick in 2014.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/09/29/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-whl-preview-central-division/

• Upvote 1

Charles Hudon is having a terrific start to his year. With 4 goals and 3 assists in only 3 games, he sits 4th in QMJHL scoring and leads his team in that regard. Brady Vail (Windsor) also is his team leader in points with 2 goals and 3 assists in 4 contests.

Charles Hudon is having a terrific start to his year. With 4 goals and 3 assists in only 3 games, he sits 4th in QMJHL scoring and leads his team in that regard. Brady Vail (Windsor) also is his team leader in points with 2 goals and 3 assists in 4 contests.

GJ Timmins

Today I look at the WHL U.S. Division, home to the Portland Winterhawks, and one of the top prospects for the NHL draft in defenceman Seth Jones.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/09/30/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-whl-preview-us-division/

GJ Timmins

He just stole the draft boards off my site.... LOL.

• Upvote 1

On Gally hasn't he got 2 points in 3 games?

I see no problem with that considering how much hockey he missed last season

Hudon, Bozon and Vail (with 3 points so far today) are all producing (not at a Plekanec-like pace) and from the vid clips it seems AG looks very good and i agree he should rack up some good point totals and is very very early in season.

On Gally hasn't he got 2 points in 3 games?

I see no problem with that considering how much hockey he missed last season

3 points in 4 games, plus in the only game he didn't get a point he still was a +1 and scored in the shootout.

The bigger issue is that Sarnia is 1-2-1. The team just isn't very good.

After today, make that 4 goals and 5 assists in 5 games which moves him into a tie for 2nd overall in OHL scoring.

How many overagers are drafted in any given year? Can't be many.

There are usually a few every year. I think this past draft there was a bit of an outlier with regards to past history, I seem to recall a few teams taking multiple overagers, plus one player picked in the first round in his third draft class. In general now, there are fewer to choose from as no longer can you draft Euros at any age (such as Streit being drafted at 26), they're subjected to similar rules as North American skaters. That said, I think there's a decent chance we'll see more 20 year olds picked in the coming years as they can step in and play right away on the farm.

There are usually a few every year. I think this past draft there was a bit of an outlier with regards to past history, I seem to recall a few teams taking multiple overagers, plus one player picked in the first round in his third draft class. In general now, there are fewer to choose from as no longer can you draft Euros at any age (such as Streit being drafted at 26), they're subjected to similar rules as North American skaters. That said, I think there's a decent chance we'll see more 20 year olds picked in the coming years as they can step in and play right away on the farm.

This begs the question, how many players are drafted generally beyond their first year of elligibility? I believe many protential players don't show their mustard till much later. I am a proponet of moving draft age back a year and /or extending control years. I believe we just lose alot of investment because players are just not ready when they have to be.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker