Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

There are usually a few every year. I think this past draft there was a bit of an outlier with regards to past history, I seem to recall a few teams taking multiple overagers, plus one player picked in the first round in his third draft class. In general now, there are fewer to choose from as no longer can you draft Euros at any age (such as Streit being drafted at 26), they're subjected to similar rules as North American skaters. That said, I think there's a decent chance we'll see more 20 year olds picked in the coming years as they can step in and play right away on the farm.

There are less available but we are actually seeing more and more being taken.... one of the reasons why is the draft changing from 9 to 7 rounds a few years ago. 60 less guys drafted in the "take a chance" rounds; who then improve and get taken in later years.

My last CHL Preview today is the WHL’s West Division. Habs prospect Tim Bozon is the best player on the best team in the division, in Kamloops.

http://lastwordonspo...w-b-c-division/

Super to see the CHL previews, well done.

Nothing special about Keegan Kanzig (Victoria d-man) cept his size eh?

You mentioned Sarnia likely will be weak this year.

Is that likely a negative, irrelevant, or maybe even a positive for Galchenyuk's development?

Super to see the CHL previews, well done.

Nothing special about Keegan Kanzig (Victoria d-man) cept his size eh?

You mentioned Sarnia likely will be weak this year.

Is that likely a negative, irrelevant, or maybe even a positive for Galchenyuk's development?

Irrelevant. He'll play 25 minutes per game in Sarnia... He'd play 25 minutes per game as the number 1 centre on any team in the league.... He'd be shadowed by the other team's best players no matter where he plays. He'll have decent wingers in Sarnia (every team can put together a first line) so there is no issues there. He's so far above the competition, that strong or weak team, he's still the best player on his team.

And remember when I say Sarnia is weak, I'm talking about them finishing 6th - 8th in the conference, making the playoffs, and then losing in the first round.

The OHL West is also much stronger than the East. Put the same Sarnia team in the OHL East and they are likely 3rd-6th in the conference.

The big thing Sarnia being weak does though is increase the chances that they decide to say "screw it" and trade away Galchenyuk to a contender in December/early January for 16 year olds and draft picks.

Irrelevant. He'll play 25 minutes per game in Sarnia... He'd play 25 minutes per game as the number 1 centre on any team in the league.... He'd be shadowed by the other team's best players no matter where he plays. He'll have decent wingers in Sarnia (every team can put together a first line) so there is no issues there. He's so far above the competition, that strong or weak team, he's still the best player on his team.

And remember when I say Sarnia is weak, I'm talking about them finishing 6th - 8th in the conference, making the playoffs, and then losing in the first round.

The OHL West is also much stronger than the East. Put the same Sarnia team in the OHL East and they are likely 3rd-6th in the conference.

The big thing Sarnia being weak does though is increase the chances that they decide to say "screw it" and trade away Galchenyuk to a contender in December/early January for 16 year olds and draft picks.

makes sense, thanks

Saw the kamloops game, Bozon had an OK game with 3 points (1 phantom assist and late meaningless goal). But Brendon Ranford had an awesome game, easily best player on the ice and had 5 points, so Bulldog camp must of been good for him.

Dalton Thrower was a healthy scratch yesterday for some reason? and the Blades got smoked 10-1, Dietz is -5 in last 2 games, shaky start for Mem Cup hosts.

Nice to see Galchenyuk got on scoresheet and 2nd star of game in another loss.

The Coach said, "playing by his own rules"

Duncan Siemens was also stripped of his captaincy this week.

The team responded to the discipline for the two best D on the club by playing their worst possible game and losing 10-1.

Is Molleken losing that room?

Bozon had another 3 point game (5goals-10pts in first 6 games) , Sullivan was a +5 for BC vs UNB in a ex-game (positive 1st NCAA game), 2 UND guys each had goal/assist and at least Dietz had the only goal in another Blade loss, so some other bright spots as well..

Today I move on to the NCAA's CCHA conference. This is the last season for the CCHA as the conference will be no more following re-alignment next year.

The Conference has 2 Habs prospects in Mac Bennett (featured) and Mike Cichy (a quick mention about him, but not a feature).

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/10/08/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-ncaa-preview-ccha/

Alex Galchenyuk was a finalist for the OHL Player of the Week last week (but the award went to Josh Leivo).

Also, Collberg got to play a bit today (actually, he's had a bit of ice time for a couple of weeks now due to various injuries) and picked up his second assist of the season.

I see Engqvist has 9 points in 14 games in KHL, too bad he never had a serious look with a regular shift as the 4th centre towards end of last year with Habs.

I see Engqvist has 9 points in 14 games in KHL, too bad he never had a serious look with a regular shift as the 4th centre towards end of last year with Habs.

It doesn't bother me that he didn't get a look late in the year. He was Hamilton's go-to guy down the stretch as they tried to make the playoffs, I'd have preferred him playing 18-20 minutes down there instead of 6-8 in Montreal. I don't think the Habs have given up on him yet. He probably will play more in the KHL than he would in Hamilton and with the larger ice surface over there, his skating will really need to improve to succeed in that league. If his offensive success continues while he improves on his skating, he could be in the mix in 2013-14.

i would of just demoted that Finn. -Nokalinen to play AHL, who is likely to be KHL/SEL bound very soon for good.

Only big weakness Engqvist had was faceoffs, but Habs already have 3 centres shitty at that, so might as well have 4 (Nokalinen is only marginally better),

Till maybe someone actually shows DD and Eller how to win more of them.

Plekanec is too old to learn and will likely always be sub50%, but some of the young guys need to work on it for sure, as does Andreas.

the 2 late pick swedes are doing bit better early on this season, Nygren is at least an Even +/- so far (and not a Swedish version of MAB again) and Nystrom's offense is on better pace than last year.

And great to hear Collberg is doing something and getting some icetime, even though he may only be temporary fill-in guy and i think he only averages 3:43/game in icetime, which even a Jody Shelley would be pissed at getting?

But in his interviews, Collberg seemed very keen on returning to SEL this year and seemed to have little interest in playing junior in CHL (contractural reasons also maybe?).

Engqvist is now actually tied for 20th in KHL scoring (early in season i know and only 10 points so far); but he is the #1 centreman/2nd in scoring on his team, but still only at 48% on FOs.

It might turn out to be a good move for both his pocketbook and development?

The last of the Big 4 NCAA conferences is the ECAC.

I take a look at the conference. Of interest to fans here is Montreal Prospect Dustin Walsh, and Montreal Native (and Canes’ prospect) Danny Biega.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/10/11/top-shelf-prospects-2012-13-ncaa-preview-ecac/

Walsh is a bit of a sleeper who has really improved since being drafted, and looking to have a big year this season.

Bozon off to a good start to season and now tied for 4th in WHL scoring.

Kamloops looking pretty strong, while Dietz/Thrower's team not doing well at all.

I wonder if there are issues in that Saskatoon locker room

Since stripping Siemens of the C, and then benching Thrower, the team has lost three games by a combined score of 18-2

No matter which way you look at team #s, its a bad start.

worst in WHL with -22 goal differential

top scorer has 3 goals

Sutter only has 2 points, etc etc

The memorial cup organizers must be a bit worried, but only played 8 games so still early.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker