Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Hopefully that report is true, getting Thrower signed is important. I hope they can flip Vail for a late pick (or for a prospect in Vail's case if they prefer a player) since it seems as if they're not likely to sign him. Sunday is also the deadline for Erik Nystrom but it's safe to say that one's not happening.

Kelly Friesen says that Thrower will sign.... habs wanted to see the recovery of his ankle, and now that is good and the contract is in progress.

Sounds good, just wouldn't think would come down to just days before june 1 deadline.

Hopefully that report is true, getting Thrower signed is important. I hope they can flip Vail for a late pick (or for a prospect in Vail's case if they prefer a player) since it seems as if they're not likely to sign him. Sunday is also the deadline for Erik Nystrom but it's safe to say that one's not happening.

Sorry to say, but no great loss with Nystrom and I just didn't bother to worry about him.

If Vail is good at centre, I would think he could be useful? Got feeling Nattinen will say screw it and prefer to go to SHL (wouldnt blame him, unless Lefebvre is fired). And is a RFA so maybe Habs let him walk?

Sorry to say, but no great loss with Nystrom and I just didn't bother to worry about him.

If Vail is good at centre, I would think he could be useful? Got feeling Nattinen will say screw it and prefer to go to SHL (wouldnt blame him, unless Lefebvre is fired). And is a RFA so maybe Habs let him walk?

I think Vail could be useful but I'm not sure he'd start in Hamilton given how he played on the 4th line in his two prior stints (he may need some time in Wheeling to acclimate to the pro game). I imagine Nattinen won't be back though I'm hopeful they do what they did with Engqvist and give him a QO to hold his rights.

There seems to be a growing sense that the Thrower deal could be done as early as tomorrow.

His gritty play would seem to be a nice addition, as Pateryn, Beaulieu, Bennett, Nygren are all "relatively" softish d-men.

From what I have seen of him, he is prone to go for big open ice hit with mixed results and suspensions, even being undersized he wasn't afraid to drop em, even with WHL goons, he has OK puck skills and nice shot; but isn't a shut down d-man and will be he biggest questionmark (as well as 2 concussions already).

Thrower, Dietz, Didier, Pateryn and Nygren are all Right-Hand d-men. (I would like to see Timmins go back to USA/WHL and happen to snag another d-man or two at draft this year)

No word on Vail yet?

His gritty play would seem to be a nice addition, as Pateryn, Beaulieu, Bennett, Nygren are all "relatively" softish d-men.

From what I have seen of him, he is prone to go for big open ice hit with mixed results and suspensions, even being undersized he wasn't afraid to drop em, even with WHL goons, he has OK puck skills and nice shot; but isn't a shut down d-man and will be he biggest questionmark (as well as 2 concussions already).

Thrower, Dietz, Didier, Pateryn and Nygren are all Right-Hand d-men. (I would like to see Timmins go back to USA/WHL and happen to snag another d-man or two at draft this year)

No word on Vail yet?

Beaulieu and Pateryn are absolutely NOT soft.

Beaulieu and Pateryn are absolutely NOT soft.

Didn't say soft, deliberately put it as 'relatively' soft'ish' and not like Thrower, who is a head hunter and truculent.

Pateryns lack of 'killer' instinct was noted as one reason he was stuck in Hamilton and I agree he does toss 'a' big hit/game, he wouldn't ever be considered an overly physical d-man. More like a bigger Gorges/Weaver I would say.

And Beaulieu doesn't bring a physical game...yet. He seems underpowered and loses puck battles too easily, but like Tinordi with another off-season in weight room/training may make world of difference and they wont get pushed around by average sized NHLers.

I think the difference you are seeing is that Thrower played against kids, while the others played against men. As an overager Thrower was one of the oldest players in the WHL this season.

He's going to need to do the same bulking up and is going to have the same issues as he goes to the AHL.

I think the difference you are seeing is that Thrower played against kids, while the others played against men. As an overager Thrower was one of the oldest players in the WHL this season.

He's going to need to do the same bulking up and is going to have the same issues as he goes to the AHL.

No, I know and isn't why are different, you also have seen Pateryn play for Michigan/Habs/Dogs and he simply plays a more 'cerebral' conservative game than Thrower and that likely will never change. Beaulieu I havent seen him hit much at all in Hamilton/with Habs (and struggled terribly in playoffs, with last game or 2 being the worst for dumb turnovers, fancy back-passes to no-one and getting too cute with puck; but was good for him to struggle just before off-season, maybe help motivate him).

But yes I agree, biggest risk for Thrower I think will be concussions/breaking down trying to play same as did in junior vs Men.

Pateryn yes is more cerebral.

But Beaulieu was very physical and even fought quite a bit in his junior days. His biggest issue has always been getting too cute at times with the puck (even in junior), but he seems to slowly be getting better. He can also be out of position at times. I just think he isn't "soft" as he will throw big hits and even fight when he has to. He's a lot like Subban that way.

Junior is different, Beaulieu dosent show same swagger vs Men...yet and is still very young d-man.

Beaulieu and Subban are similar and both not keen on ever taking a hit to make a play and will give it up when pressured. Not that you want offensive d-men being run, but totally different than Gorges-Emelin-Weaver who know a big hit is coming and wont cough up puck to avoid it.

Subban will hit, when he can get a run at an unsuspecting forward, but too small to move anyone out of crease and would be one of last to defend a smaller teammate (not that you want him fighting at all but, could step in and tackle someone to the ice at least).

I have no issue with a couple gentile d-men, but Markov, Subban, Gorges, Weaver, Beaulieu wont strike fear into anyone and neither will Pateryn or Nygren, but Emelin, Tinordi-Thrower-Dietz (and you say Didier is also physical) should help offset that some.

But, one reason I would like to see couple big stay at home d-men get picked or at least targeted by Habs at draft, is because Beaulieu, Bennett, Dietz, Thrower are not big and I do think you need a couple big strapping d-men at least and few are in the system at present (don't need to waste 1st round pick on em, but 2nd/3rd round for sure).

Well, seems Brady Vail is toast and back in the draft he goes eh.

Oh well, I guess they didn't think he was worth a contract or have other plans already.

Bozon skated yesterday for the first time. He's hoping to be ready to go by training camp.

Nygren's agent has been informed that the Habs expect him to play all year in North America next season, regardless of whether it's Montreal or Hamilton (he will get a look in training camp though). He isn't under contract with Farjestad next year and he can't sign elsewhere without the Habs' blessing (it would be a violation of the transfer agreement).

Super to hear Bozon back on ice, how will his experience impact his development, outlook/attitude?

And interesting update on Nygren eh? If Habs say you are playing in Hamilton!, what can he do, refuse and what happens then? He flips burgers at a Swedish MacDonalds for couple years and then back to SHL or off to KHL?

On drafting big stay-at-home dmen.

A Recent study shows that with all else equal... a defenceman who scored .5 PPG or more in his draft year is about 3x as likely to make the NHL as someone who didn't.

If you are a Big stay at home dmen in junior, you have a much greater chance of being an NHL bust.

If you are a point scoring dman in junior, you can make the NHL... sometimes as a defensive dman.

On drafting big stay-at-home dmen.

A Recent study shows that with all else equal... a defenceman who scored .5 PPG or more in his draft year is about 3x as likely to make the NHL as someone who didn't.

If you are a Big stay at home dmen in junior, you have a much greater chance of being an NHL bust.

If you are a point scoring dman in junior, you can make the NHL... sometimes as a defensive dman.

Yes I know all that Ben, but unlikely Habs getting a big physical offensively gifted d-man with 26th and 86th pick.

SO, trade down and take a Glover-like guy who can actually handle puck 'OK' @ say 31st-34th and then 'take a chance' on a Jacobs/Collins-type (or from 2010- S. Johns/Martin Marincin-like).

I still contend Tinordi pick was a bit of a waste @22 and taking a strictly defensive d-man in 1st round shouldnt happen (normally take so darn long to develop and by then not far from UFA).

Bottom half of 1st round/early 2nd, should be some kid with at least some skills and go for a big (potential) crease-clearing defensive d-men in late 2nd-3rd round.

I know theory has holes, but is a bit of crap shoot from 1st pick on down.

And interesting update on Nygren eh? If Habs say you are playing in Hamilton!, what can he do, refuse and what happens then? He flips burgers at a Swedish MacDonalds for couple years and then back to SHL or off to KHL?

He can refuse to report and go home. He'd sit the season, the Habs likely wouldn't toll the contract (they'd want him off the 50) and he could go sign wherever he wants. Or he could try to get the early termination so that he could play somewhere this year.

Anyways, after the last comments from him over in Sweden, I will be very curious to see how plays out. Because chances he makes Habs has to be darn slim and worse if Markov/Weaver resigned.

I know Bozon seemed a tall thin kid and given sickness, there is no way he could properly train and 'bulk-up' or get 'enough' bigger/stronger/faster over the summer to be able to play AHL, or is possible?

I just cant recall someone having to come back from coma/near death with brain/spinal cord infection, would think would be long recovery?.

He could be sent back to the WHL for an overage season like Thrower was. That might be the best place for him for the year instead of AHL or ECHL. Things we'll find out in the fall though.

Bozon has an ELC and one year would run offf of it in the WHL, but one year would run off it no matter where he is... it could be best for him to gain weight again, and play against juniors instead of against men.

Yes, that would make sense to go back to WHL.

Will be quite a story if he can make it back 100% and become a good pro in a few years.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker