Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

1 hour ago, DON said:

Bourque onto the Q-finals but McNivan lit up for 7 goals and knocked out.

Tough way to end the year for McNiven whose playoff numbers took a hit but all in all, he had a solid year and got plenty of playing time.  70+ games as a goalie at the junior level is quite impressive.

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tough way to end the year for McNiven whose playoff numbers took a hit but all in all, he had a solid year and got plenty of playing time.  70+ games as a goalie at the junior level is quite impressive.

The question is where does McNiven go next.  Montoya is back.  Lindgren will likely start in the AHL next year.  Do you want him on the bench in AHL, or starting in ECHL.  Personally I let him start in the ECHL, and let Fucale back up Lindgren. 

Or trade Fucale if you can even get a 4th or 5th rounder, and sign Danis to an AHL deal again and still keep McNiven in ECHL. 

Either way, I don't want him sitting on the bench. 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

The question is where does McNiven go next.  Montoya is back.  Lindgren will likely start in the AHL next year.  Do you want him on the bench in AHL, or starting in ECHL.  Personally I let him start in the ECHL, and let Fucale back up Lindgren. 

Or trade Fucale if you can even get a 4th or 5th rounder, and sign Danis to an AHL deal again and still keep McNiven in ECHL. 

He wont be going back to Junior?

7 hours ago, DON said:

He wont be going back to Junior?

He could as an overager, but its pretty rare that a guy with an NHL contract and one of the best goalies in the OHL is sent back as an overager. 

He has nothing more to learn there.  Time to face pros. 

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'd have McNiven in the ECHL.  Fucale should move back up and start to get used to being in more of a backup role (he's not going to be a #1 starter but maybe he adapts to a #2 role) and that would have McNiven in Brampton.  Even if they wanted another veteran goalie in the system, I'd stay away from Danis.  He was decent early on but really struggled down the stretch.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

He could as an overager, but its pretty rare that a guy with an NHL contract and one of the best goalies in the OHL is sent back as an overager. 

He has nothing more to learn there.  Time to face pros. 

Sure thanks.

Just seems a bit of logjam with Lindgren-Fucale and likely a cheap vet goalie also needed.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Sure thanks.

Just seems a bit of logjam with Lindgren-Fucale and likely a cheap vet goalie also needed.

Wouldn't be unheard of to go Lindgren-Fucale and not sign a vet. 

They only signed Danis after Condon was claimed on waivers. 

Simon Bourque is one game away from making the Memorial Cup as his Sea Dogs are up 3-0 in the QMJHL Final.  Game 4 goes tonight - TVA Sports 2 and SN 360 have the game for those who are interested.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Simon Bourque is one game away from making the Memorial Cup as his Sea Dogs are up 3-0 in the QMJHL Final.  Game 4 goes tonight - TVA Sports 2 and SN 360 have the game for those who are interested.

Have watched a bit of WHL finals and if SJ is as strong as seems, WHL winner shouldn't be favourite.

5-1 was the final and the Habs will have a third player at the Memorial Cup.  Bourque finishes the QMJHL playoffs with 4 goals, 9 assists, and a +17 rating in 18 games.  It will be Bourque's second appearance at the Memorial Cup after playing there in his draft-eligible year back in 2015.

7 hours ago, DON said:

morgan ellis 2.0?

Bourque has been more of an offensive producer at the junior level (especially on the PP) but I wouldn't be shocked if their career paths were similar - decent AHL d-men who were good enough to get a brief NHL look.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

I hope he's right but that seems a bit optimistic based on how little on-ice stuff he's been able to do so far.  (Although rookie camp is still four months away, a lot can change between now and then...)

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bourque has been more of an offensive producer at the junior level (especially on the PP) but I wouldn't be shocked if their career paths were similar - decent AHL d-men who were good enough to get a brief NHL look.

Hey, whoa, that is way too level-headed and lacks all hyperbolic enthusiasm for a Habs prospect.

He's due at least 1 pro season before we start even considering he won't be a star player, and 1 season where we use him as a throw-in in a trade for another team's star player, and then 1 final season where we eventually capitulate that he was never really all that good and we complain about a wasted draft pick. 

As. Is. Tradition.

• Upvote 1

Spitfires Coach Rocky Thompson on Sergachev

“He didn’t join us until November because he started the season with the Canadiens, and then we lost him again for the world juniors,” said Thompson. “But he had a strong second half. We asked him to play a greater role defensively. We had the best penalty-killing record ever and he was a part of that.”

The Spitfires’ reliance on Sergachev increased early in the new year when Logan Stanley, Winnipeg’s first-round draft choice last June, suffered a knee injury.

“Mischa (Sergachev) became our shutdown guy,” said Thompson. “We used him in every role and he played like a guy who’s going to be a No. 1 defenceman for the Canadiens.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/windsor-spitfires-counting-on-canadiens-prospects-in-memorial-cup

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Spitfires Coach Rocky Thompson on Sergachev

“He didn’t join us until November because he started the season with the Canadiens, and then we lost him again for the world juniors,” said Thompson. “But he had a strong second half. We asked him to play a greater role defensively. We had the best penalty-killing record ever and he was a part of that.”

The Spitfires’ reliance on Sergachev increased early in the new year when Logan Stanley, Winnipeg’s first-round draft choice last June, suffered a knee injury.

“Mischa (Sergachev) became our shutdown guy,” said Thompson. “We used him in every role and he played like a guy who’s going to be a No. 1 defenceman for the Canadiens.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/windsor-spitfires-counting-on-canadiens-prospects-in-memorial-cup

I just read your summing up of the article but I don't think we can trade this guy based on what was written. I say that because he comes up in a lot of the blockbuster trades Habs fans bring up. Not only that but it's usually part of a package for a forward. Pretty much everyone should be available on our back end as trade bait other than Weber, for the next few years and Sergachev. Unless another top 1 defenseman is coming back the other way for either of them. He's a key component moving forward.

Sergachev went beast mode tonight at the mem cup.  He dominated saint john tonight.  Coast to coast rushes, drawing penalties, 2 assists, great defensive plays twice on one on one with chabot, a monster hip check.  He did everything.  Saint johns two goals were both with him on the bench.  Best game ive seen from him.  Just incredible.

Addison scored too.

Bourque with an assist.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker