Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Guelph still up 4-2 with 20 minutes to go. Cedric in goal for Ottawa. And Guelph has been staying out of the penalty box, only one short PP for Ottawa.

UPDATE: Now 5-2, another PP goal for Guelph, assisted by Suzuki.

5-4 final for Guelph so the series is now tied at 2-2. Ottawa piled it on in the third, outshooting Guelph 16-3 (three minors by Guelph didn't help) but it wasn't quite enough.

It's a best-of-three series now, back to Ottawa for the first of three.

From the Athletic (subscription, trial available):

https://theathletic.com/968731/2019/05/09/why-nick-suzukis-brain-should-give-canadiens-fans-reason-to-be-excited/

Why Nick Suzuki’s brain should give Canadiens fans reason to be excited

Just posting the conclusion of Arpon Basu's excellent article:

Suzuki has done that and more. He’s played the massive minutes in junior. He’s dominated. He’s overcome things he will not face at the next level. He also hasn’t faced the altogether different challenges – the higher baseline of skill, the physicality, the intensity, the scrutiny – he will face as a professional.

But while he has a lot left to prove, there is one thing Suzuki has that will help him thrive, an attribute he shares with Kotkaniemi, one that might help set him apart in the NHL jungle.

He has a hockey brain.

#1 star Teasdale 3a in 6-3 win...nice! 21points in last 10games. Rouyn Noranda up 3-2 in series....seems like RN on a roll and series will be done next game.

Lavoie 1g1a in loss.

Same as Fonstad in WHL, likely will be in memorial cup, but i think  just as a mediocre player.

http://theqmjhl.ca/video/rouyn-noranda-wins-game-5-mooseheads-3-huskies-6

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/24045/boxscore

Suzuki 1a no shots, end of 2nd; Guelph winning 4-2:hyper:

(How much of Ottawa collapse due to losing goalie,Dipietro, he had best GAA 2.35 (2.36/2.38 next two) in OHL playoffs?)

Still 4-2 with about 10minutes left.

Now 4-3 with 8:34 left

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Not completely collapsed ... Ottawa scores one to make it 4-3 with eight minutes to go.

wishful thinking

Only one point for Suzuki but I'm sure he's OK with that given that they are now one win away from Memorial Cup.

First time that Guelph has led a playoff series (before it's over) this year!

Yes, Suzuki, Teasdale and Fonstad 'should' all be playing in Halifax and for me a chance to see Raphael Lavoie (or can i call him Pick #15 yet?) play also

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, Suzuki, Teasdale and Fonstad 'should' all be playing in Halifax and for me a chance to see Raphael Lavoie (or can i call him Pick #15 yet?) play also

Better yet, it's on TV so something better to watch instead of the Bruins! :wacko:

2 hours ago, DON said:

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/24045/boxscore

Suzuki 1a no shots, end of 2nd; Guelph winning 4-2:hyper:

(How much of Ottawa collapse due to losing goalie,Dipietro, he had best GAA 2.35 (2.36/2.38 next two) in OHL playoffs?)

Still 4-2 with about 10minutes left.

Now 4-3 with 8:34 left

DiPietro's loss is huge.  Best goalie in the league. His backup is not close.

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

DiPietro's loss is huge.  Best goalie in the league. His backup is not close.

I don’t think Andree is the only problem for me the 67s. This is from the Ottawa Sun:

The 67’s have lost their last two by a goal but that doesn’t tell the whole story. Guelph could have scored five goals in the first period if not for the work of Andree, filling in for DiPietro, out with the high ankle strain. DiPietro went on the ice briefly Thursday and again Friday but he hasn’t donned his pads yet.

The goalie affects a lot. 

DiPietro is better at handling the puck, which cuts down the forecheck and acts as a third defenceman to start the breakout.

He also has better rebound control, which helps to end pressure earlier.  Whether it be by putting the puck in the corner where his teammate can get it, or by stopping the play and covering up for a faceoff. 

He also just gives confidence to his team by being back there.  Players can push the pace and take more offensive chances knowing he's the goalie vs the backup. The mentality is different.

Don't get me wrong, Guelph is playing well, but the series was 2-0, and ottawa had a dominant win in game 1, and his injury changed things. There is little doubt about that.  We all know the effect of having Carey Price in net, vs having Dustin Tokarski.  We saw it in the series against the Rangers a few years ago.  As well as Tokarski played in that round, its still hard to say that things wouldn't have been at least somewhat different with Price in net.  That doesn't mean the Habs would have been guaranteed to win (And this doesn't mean Ottawa would be guaranteed to win) but things would have been different, and the Habs and 67s are both better teams with their number 1 behind them.

• Like 1