Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

14 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I love the pool they have, but it's unrealistic to think they're all going to become impact players

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think Poehling, Suzuki Caufeild and Romanov will be impact players. That doesn’t mean stars, but members of a great team

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Kelly writes this stupid negative shit every week.  He's unreadable. 

I highly doubt Kelly has even seen much of these kids. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

This is exactly right.   Don't waste your times reading his columns.    There is so much about the NHL he doesn't understand.  

7 hours ago, Habber31 said:

It's negative, but it's not like he's making things up

But 100% glass 1/2 empty fo sure...zero on possible ceiling of a Caufield or any top prospects.

But more than that, I am with lazy26.

"That's the worst-written Habs column on the Internet, IMO. "

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Sure, he isn’t making things up, but it’s overboard how much he undervalues the fact that the habs now have a good prospect pool. In the same breath he talks about Timmins being, I think he said an “abysmal” scout. Timmins one struggle was first round draft picks, but I really have to say it feels like he’s turning a page on first rounders.

I have always felt that Timmons was excellent in his ranking players for the draft, but the GMs and their egos always overruled him in the first rounds. I’d love it if Timmons could write a book when he retires and showing his personal BPA lists for each draft class. 

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

I get tired of reading his articles. Of course we know these are prospects and there is no guarantee they will be NHL players . But there seems to be a lot of consensus (even Craig Button) that it's a very very  good prospect pool. I am guessing that if the Habs wanted to trade Poehling, Suzuki etc that there would be no shortage of takers. 

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Why would he have to see them to write drivel about every team has prospects and not all prospects reach their potential? Almost any regular on this site could produce a more insightful and entertaining column in their sleep.  I find it incomprehensible that the Gazette keeps paying him for that dreck. It it an insult to the memory of Red Fisher and to the intelligence of the, declining, readership of a formerly great paper.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, revvvrob said:

I have always felt that Timmons was excellent in his ranking players for the draft, but the GMs and their egos always overruled him in the first rounds. I’d love it if Timmons could write a book when he retires and showing his personal BPA lists for each draft class. 

Totally agree.  I'd love to see that as well.

We already know about the Louis Leblanc pick. 
And I will never believe that Tinordi was Timmins' guy.  IMO,  this pick was made to compete with the Boston Bruins who, back in the days, were built with this type of dmen (Chara, McQuaid, Boychuck, etc.)   I'm convinced that the GM ordered  Timmins to pick the biggest dman out there that had the best chance of making the NHL.

12 hours ago, DON said:

But 100% glass 1/2 empty fo sure...zero on possible ceiling of a Caufield or any top prospects.

But more than that, I am with lazy26.

"That's the worst-written Habs column on the Internet, IMO. "

I'm pretty negative and even I try to avoid his columns 

Other rookies with fantasy upside: Victor Olofsson, LW/RW, BUF; Ryan Poehling, C, MTL; Martin Necas, CAR; Owen Tippett, LW, FLA; Kristian Vesalainen, LW/RW, WPG; Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones, D, EDM; Carl Grundstrom, RW, LAK; Adam Boqvist, D, CHI; Noah Dobson, D, NYI; Dylan Cozens, C, BUF (INJ.); Jesper Boqvist, LW, NJD

The Athletic's ranking of our top prospects, by Mitch Brown, part 1:

HM3. Vejdemo

HM2. Leskinen

HM1. Teasdale

20. Fairbrother

19. Stapley

18. Fonstad

17. Hillis

16. Olofsson

The article has great in-depth analysis, but check out the criteria, especially the last one:

To be eligible for the ranking, a player must reach these four criteria:

• NHL rights held by the Canadiens (excludes players on AHL deals)
  • 23 years of age or younger
  • 41 games of NHL experience or fewer
  • I’ve viewed at least 20 percent of the player’s regular season games

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

HM3. Vejdemo

HM2. Leskinen

HM1. Teasdale

20. Fairbrother

19. Stapley

18. Fonstad

17. Hillis

16. Olofsson

The article has great in-depth analysis, but check out the criteria, especially the last one:

He lists Henrikson, Koberstein, Dichow, Ruscheinski as the ones who don't meet the viewing requirement. None of them would be in the top 20 anyway.

15 hours ago, Trizzak said:

He lists Henrikson, Koberstein, Dichow, Ruscheinski as the ones who don't meet the viewing requirement. None of them would be in the top 20 anyway.

I'm amazed by how much junior hockey he watches -- and specifically watches the performance of our prospects in those games.

“I hear from everybody not named Brendon Kelly that the Canadiens have a great group of prospects.” 

Connor McKenna TSN Radio 690

Paraphrase of Mitch Brown (The Athletic) interview in the same segment:

i rank the Canadiens between 4-6 of the best prospect pools. They have everything:  high end forwards and defense prospects and great depth. They have 20-30 guys with the potential to play in the NHL. 

Mitch Brown The Athletic on TSN 690

www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/brown-habs-prospects-and-how-good-are-they-1.1338488

16 hours ago, tomh009 said:

HM3. Vejdemo

HM2. Leskinen

HM1. Teasdale

20. Fairbrother

19. Stapley

18. Fonstad

17. Hillis

16. Olofsson

Why does this putz bother watching all of these games and actually thinking about what he is writing when he could just spew unfounded opinions like the excretable M. Kelly? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

BPA seems to have gone out the window in last 3 drafts, which goes against 99.9% of 'experts' recommendations for drafting.

Also, in last 2 drafts Habs have picked numerous kids from their own combines.

2017- defense (4 of 6 picks)

2018- Centre (8 of 11)

2019- LH D-men (5 of 10)

Is this likely a short-sighted and wrong approach to drafting? By most assuredly skipping on players who were best on the board, but didnt play a specific position or attend your own combines.