Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

A really good read from a lengthy interview with Bergevin: https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/202002/29/01-5262860-marc-bergevin-la-transparence-du-dg.php

Some highlights:

- They'll ask Caufield to stay in Wisconsin for next year but if he wants to turn pro, they won't stop him.

- They expect Romanov to come over for next season and envision him as a 24, 25 minute a game guy in a few years from now.  The idea of bringing Kovalchuk back for next season seems to be with Romanov in mind with Bergevin saying "He's going to be good for Romanov".  (Bergevin also reiterated that he's not a big fan of the UFA market.)

- Poehling is envisioned as the 3C of the future.

- They'll decide on Jordan Harris' future (turn pro or not) at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

- They'll ask Caufield to stay in Wisconsin for next year but if he wants to turn pro, they won't stop him.

What is your take on Caufield? Assume you are in favour of an extra NCAA year for him, but how well do you expect he will do when hits NHL? Will he be able to find space to get shots off. I dont think he is a strong (NHL speed) skater is he?

24 minutes ago, DON said:

What is your take on Caufield? Assume you are in favour of an extra NCAA year for him, but how well do you expect he will do when hits NHL? Will he be able to find space to get shots off. I dont think he is a strong (NHL speed) skater is he?

I like the idea of the extra year but generally speaking, I feel that way about just about every college prospect that isn't projected to be an elite star.  He should be able to produce enough to be a legitimate top-six forward and be a strong power play threat.  Space will be a concern at times which is why I think his PP production will be a bigger element for him than it is for most of Montreal's roster.  For his size, his skating isn't great but he's not a plodder by any stretch; he'll be able to keep up.  He's just not someone like Byron whose speed is a key element to his game.

Caufield has had a few ups and downs this year which is still better than most of Wisconsin's roster which has been mostly downs.  I'd be very interested to see how things improve next season if they return that entire young core.  How much could being in a winning environment help his game?  I think his numbers could really improve if he sticks around for one for one more year.

• Like 1

More from Brunet - on his Facebook page, he posted some of the stuff that didn't make it into the article. 

Most notably, Bergevin indicated that they're only likely to sign one of Cam Hillis, Cole Fonstad, Allan McShane, or Samuel Houde by June 1st.  He didn't say who but Hillis would have to be considered the favourite to get a contract.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Id hope they would sign both hillis and fonstad.  Both are good players.  Clear out some shit on the farm to make the room.

The good news is that a lot of the nobodies they've acquired recently are on expiring deals so there is contract space to work with if they wanted to sign more than one of them.  (Unless I'm well off on Lucchini and it turns out he's someone that they actually think has some upside.  I could see Blandisi staying as a veteran guy potentially as well.)  The fact that they have that much room and only want to sign one suggests that they may be doing some stuff on the UDFA market again.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Most notably, Bergevin indicated that they're only likely to sign one of Cam Hillis, Cole Fonstad, Allan McShane, or Samuel Houde by June 1st.  He didn't say who but Hillis would have to be considered the favourite to get a contract.

Scott Wheeler's mid-season prospect rankings for the Habs had Hillis at #10, McShane at #12, Fonstad at #13 -- and Houde unranked due to injury.

Incidentally, all four are centres, although Fonstad has not now been playing on the wing. Congestion at centre for sure. But if Kotkaniemi and Poehling are with the Habs next year, there should be room for two young centres.

Edited by tomh009
Fixed the spelling error that reversed my meaning

Fonstad is definitely a LW in the pros. 

Hillis is a C or a wing.

Think McShane should end up on wing due tonskating but hasnt played there.

In any event Fonstad and Hillis are close to me at 1-2n probably Hillis a small bit ahead.  McShane is clear third.  Id sign the first two.  Mcshane would only get a contract if i had extra room.  Im fine with not signing him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bit odd to publically tell 4 of your prospects only 1 contract spot is available. Is it a ploy to see who steps up their game to end the season?

If they already know which one it is, there isn't much harm in saying that - really, should Bergevin care if he offends a prospect that they're going to release three months from now anyway?  But yes, to come out and say it is certainly strange.

(It would have been nice if they would have flipped one of the ones they know they're not signing to bring in some help for Laval before the deadline though.)

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The good news is that a lot of the nobodies they've acquired recently are on expiring deals.

I like the Habs contract structure going into the draft 

I like it a lot

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I am not mistaken, this group of four is made of smallish centres without elite skating

They are no better than Peca was, or Verbeek right?

AHLers at best

Houde is definitely not an NHLer.

McShane is 6 foot but the skating is an issue.

Hillis is a very good skater and is 5'11

Fonstad's skating isnt bad but its not great. Hes 510

Other than houde, the other three are better prospects than Verbeek was at the same age.   Are any of them sure things? No... but id want two to be in to see how they can be developed.  Its early to say what their ceiling is "at best"

I'm pretty confident that they are, at the minimum, of being capable AHL players. And that alone should be enough to sign them instead of looking for AHL journeyman free agents.

Is Romanov back to playing 6 minutes a game in Russia?  It's a weird trajectory for a prospect to knock it out of the park at two consecutive World Juniors but we barely hear from him the rest of the year.  

18 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I am not mistaken, this group of four is made of smallish centres without elite skating

They are no better than Peca was, or Verbeek right?

AHLers at best

Odds are you are correct. But are always the surprises of the Gallagher-types who outwork everybody or a 6th rounder like Byron.

11 hours ago, Neech said:

Is Romanov back to playing 6 minutes a game in Russia?  It's a weird trajectory for a prospect to knock it out of the park at two consecutive World Juniors but we barely hear from him the rest of the year.  

What are you talking about 6 minutes/game? And no news, what have you been looking for?

January 26, 2020 vs. Sibir Novosibirsk
+1
16:25

January 29, 2020 @ Admiral Vladivostok
+1
16:00

January 31, 2020 @ Amur Khabarovsk
20:03

February 2, 2020 @ Kunlun Red Star
E
14:44

February 6, 2020 @ Finland***
17:03

February 8, 2020 @ Sweden***
+1
14:06

February 9, 2020 vs. Czech Republic***
E
15:57

February 15, 2020 @ Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
+2
15:36

February 17, 2020 @ Dinamo Minsk
+2
15:03

February 21, 2020 vs. Dinamo Minsk
+4
15:47

February 25, 2020 vs. SKA Saint-Petersburg
+1
13:27

February 27, 2020 vs. HC Sochi
E
13:06

KHL Total:
+21
12:53

*International U20 Total:
-
-

**International Senior Total:
-
-

***EHT: Beijer Hockey Games Total:
E
15:42

Pinard 1g(32) 1a

Hillis 2a in 6-3 loss

Fonstad 1a

Stapley/Caufield/Pitlick 1a each

Prospect Battle for "1" NHL contract 2020

Hillis        58gm 23g 79pts

Fonstad   56gm 13g 71pts

McShane 59gm 23g 65pts

Houde      40gm 18g 47pts

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, DON said:

What are you talking about 6 minutes/game? And no news, what have you been looking for?

January 26, 2020 vs. Sibir Novosibirsk
+1
16:25

January 29, 2020 @ Admiral Vladivostok
+1
16:00

January 31, 2020 @ Amur Khabarovsk
20:03

February 2, 2020 @ Kunlun Red Star
E
14:44

February 6, 2020 @ Finland***
17:03

February 8, 2020 @ Sweden***
+1
14:06

February 9, 2020 vs. Czech Republic***
E
15:57

February 15, 2020 @ Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
+2
15:36

February 17, 2020 @ Dinamo Minsk
+2
15:03

February 21, 2020 vs. Dinamo Minsk
+4
15:47

February 25, 2020 vs. SKA Saint-Petersburg
+1
13:27

February 27, 2020 vs. HC Sochi
E
13:06

KHL Total:
+21
12:53

*International U20 Total:
-
-

**International Senior Total:
-
-

***EHT: Beijer Hockey Games Total:
E
15:42

Just not a lot of scoring. But solid defence, and 15+ minutes a game on a top team at the age of 20. I'm looking forward to seeing him here, whether in a Habs sweater or a Rocket one.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Just not a lot of scoring. But solid defence, and 15+ minutes a game on a top team at the age of 20. I'm looking forward to seeing him here, whether in a Habs sweater or a Rocket one.

11pts in 15gms vs his peers, not bad.