Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

13 hours ago, Neech said:

Is Romanov back to playing 6 minutes a game in Russia?  It's a weird trajectory for a prospect to knock it out of the park at two consecutive World Juniors but we barely hear from him the rest of the year.  

His minutes have gone up since the end of the WJC.  Hes playing 2nd pair on Russia's best team

1 hour ago, DON said:

Odds are you are correct. But are always the surprises of the Gallagher-types who outwork everybody or a 6th rounder like Byron.

I do. It know for sure, I do not remember reading g that any of these four had the drive Gallagher has or the skating Byron has

They are getting a lot of point in junior or CHL and that is why they got drafted but like ChicoutimiCucumber would say ( or shanya): “that doesn’t impress me much”

40 minutes ago, DON said:

11pts in 15gms vs his peers, not bad.

Not bad indeed.

I was looking at KHL defencemen and the top scorer is Mikko Lehtonen at 17g+32a in 60 games, better than 0.8 PPG, and averaging almost 22:30 per game. He was never drafted but is under contract until the end of the 2020-2021 season. He'll be 27 at that point, not so old for a defenceman.

Incidentally, Niemi has played in 19 games for Jokerit this season, averaging .883, almost identical to his average with the Habs.

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I'm pretty confident that they are, at the minimum, of being capable AHL players. And that alone should be enough to sign them instead of looking for AHL journeyman free agents.

The only problem with signing all of them is how it would affect the 50 contract limit in the future.  They would all have 3 year deals, so Habs would be stuck with them for better or worse.  Habs have lots of prospects from last year's draft as well.  When do they plan on bringing Norlinder over?  When does Harris sign?  I'm sure there are more questions.  Fairbrother can sign this year and play in the AHL next season if the Habs want as well.  Unfortunately not every prospect will be signed even if some at least deserve a look.

1 hour ago, John B said:

The only problem with signing all of them is how it would affect the 50 contract limit in the future.  They would all have 3 year deals, so Habs would be stuck with them for better or worse.  Habs have lots of prospects from last year's draft as well.  When do they plan on bringing Norlinder over?  When does Harris sign?  I'm sure there are more questions.  Fairbrother can sign this year and play in the AHL next season if the Habs want as well.  Unfortunately not every prospect will be signed even if some at least deserve a look.

One problem when make alot of picks.

2 hours ago, John B said:

It's definitely a challenge. And we have 14 more picks this year! But to clarify, I was suggesting signing Hillis and Fonstad, not all four.

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

His minutes have gone up since the end of the WJC.  Hes playing 2nd pair on Russia's best team

That's heartening, hopefully the guy we saw at the WJC's is the real Romanov.

The only time hes had really low minutes was last year in playoffs.  In regular season he averaged over 12 minutes a game.  Remember that khl game day roster is 22 instead of 20.  They have 8.defence instead of 6... playing 4 pairings.

• Upvote 1

Another 3-0 win for CSKA, but Romanov had only four shifts for 3:04 of ice time. Did he do something wrong to get benched, or did he get injured in the game? I can't find any information on this.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Another 3-0 win for CSKA, but Romanov had only four shifts for 3:04 of ice time. Did he do something wrong to get benched, or did he get injured in the game? I can't find any information on this.

If memory serves, this happened last year as well.  The official statement was that it being the playoffs, the coach isn't going to play the youngsters and will instead trust the veterans.  Montreal's recent proclamations that they fully expect Romanov to be in Montreal next season probably doesn't help either.

Wisconsin trainer on CC;

He knows that Caufield has unmatched efficiency due to how muscular he is relative to his 5-foot-7 frame.

Wisconsin getting spanked 4-0 by Ohio State, nice work Granato!:devil:

(lose 9-1)

Norlinder 1a

Hillis 1a so far

Fonstad 1g (15g 73pts in 58gms)

The Tsar a whooping 3:16 today, CSKA is up 3-0 in series

Stapley 2a (29pts in 34gms in NCAA)

Pitlick 1a (16g 41pts in 44gms USHL)

Harris 3g 21pts 32gms (NCAA)

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Ball is in Caufield's court. Bergevin has said they'd prefer he'd do another year of college hockey, but if he wants to sign now then they'll oblige him. 

I hope he stays put for another year. There is not room in he lineup for anothre  5'7'" talented forward. If a couple of the current ones had been traded, it would be a different story

14 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Ball is in Caufield's court. Bergevin has said they'd prefer he'd do another year of college hockey, but if he wants to sign now then they'll oblige him. 

The good news is there's nothing stopping the Habs from sending him to Laval for a year if he signs now - it's not like they'll be forced to play him in Montreal if he signs.  I'm on the side of keeping him in college for another year as well but if he wants to turn pro now, he can go play for the Rocket and then be called up late next year which is when they want to sign him in the first place.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The good news is there's nothing stopping the Habs from sending him to Laval for a year if he signs now - it's not like they'll be forced to play him in Montreal if he signs.  I'm on the side of keeping him in college for another year as well but if he wants to turn pro now, he can go play for the Rocket and then be called up late next year which is when they want to sign him in the first place.

I think the best place for him to get stronger and develop physically is college, but I'd be okay to sign him as well - always have to worry about college players deciding to be a UFA after their two years.  If wants to sign now and they don't, you take that risk.

But no way would i let him play in the NHL. I'd like to see the habs have their kids develop and learn to win in the AHL, like a lot of Tampa's players did.  I think we need to have winning AHL team before we win in the NHL. Montreal used to have a winning team in the AHL in the 80's as well and had players winning the Calder Cup before the Stanley cup.  I think the only recent hab from the current team  that's won it is Price.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the best place for him to get stronger and develop physically is college, but I'd be okay to sign him as well - always have to worry about college players deciding to be a UFA after their two years.  If wants to sign now and they don't, you take that risk.

But no way would i let him play in the NHL. I'd like to see the habs have their kids develop and learn to win in the AHL, like a lot of Tampa's players did.  I think we need to have winning AHL team before we win in the NHL. Montreal used to have a winning team in the AHL in the 80's as well and had players winning the Calder Cup before the Stanley cup.  I think the only recent hab from the current team  that's won it is Price.

I agree. The Habs have rushed too many players, giving players time to ripen and mature in the AHL is a good thing. I think they become a free agent after 3 years in college but I could be wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree. The Habs have rushed too many players, giving players time to ripen and mature in the AHL is a good thing. I think they become a free agent after 3 years in college but I could be wrong. 

I thought they became UFA’s after July 15 or Aug 15 following their 2nd college year after being drafted. 

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I thought they became UFA’s after July 15 or Aug 15 following their 2nd college year after being drafted. 

Not quite.  In Caufield's case, he went to college after being drafted so the Habs have his rights up until August 15th of his graduating year as long as he stays in college.  (In other words, they have his rights for three more years.)

The 'Kristo loophole' that sees players become UFA's early is when they don't start in college.  They play a year in the USHL and then go to college. After their junior year (4 years post-draft), they can opt into free agency.

There's also a lesser-known one that says if a player is drafted at 20 or later out of college, they can become a UFA on the June 1st that falls two years after being drafted.  That rarely comes into play but Scott Perunovich (STL) is one to watch in that category this year.