Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Not quite.  In Caufield's case, he went to college after being drafted so the Habs have his rights up until August 15th of his graduating year as long as he stays in college.  (In other words, they have his rights for three more years.)

The 'Kristo loophole' that sees players become UFA's early is when they don't start in college.  They play a year in the USHL and then go to college. After their junior year (4 years post-draft), they can opt into free agency.

There's also a lesser-known one that says if a player is drafted at 20 or later out of college, they can become a UFA on the June 1st that falls two years after being drafted.  That rarely comes into play but Scott Perunovich (STL) is one to watch in that category this year.

Thanks for the detailed clarification. If that’s the case, I’d much rather have Caufield back in college for another year than Laval.  I’d rather see the coaching staff at Laval start proving they can develop prospects and win before turning over another one of our best prospects to them.

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d rather see the coaching staff at Laval start pricing they can develop prospects and win before turning over another one of our best prospects to them.

No matter what, you cant make a post without a dig at the organization. 

giphy.webp

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No matter what, you cant make a post without a dig at the organization. 

giphy.webp

I call it like I see it. We have had a crap NHL and AHL team for years now and I have not seen a real tangible improvement on either teams. The best young player we have so far (Suzuki), is one that wasn’t drafted or developed by us.

our leading point getter wasn’t drafted or developed by us. Our top defenceman wasn’t drafted and developed by us. Our only other legit top 4 dman wasn’t drafted or developed by us.  So excuse my skepticism that this management group knows what the fxck they are doing. Hell, the only quality home grown talent we have are price and Gallagher and they were from the previous regime.

even after MB’s post deadline presser - most of the media - even ones like Engel who haven’t been overly harsh on MB left confused what the plan is, or even if there is one.  Seems like the only one on board with the plan is commandant Klink and some of his supporters on this site.  A couple of days ago, you were still taking delusionaly about the playoffs.

I think another year in college would be good for Caulfield. Maturity is also a big thing, maybe Cole will find some courses he likes and become a well rounded young man. KK was too young (barely 18) and should have spent another year in Finland. It's always easy to look back and say that but we sometimes forget that these are just kids,  they need to become young men before they become true professionals. 

57 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I call it like I see it. We have had a crap NHL and AHL team for years now and I have not seen a real tangible improvement on either teams. The best young player we have so far (Suzuki), is one that wasn’t drafted or developed by us.

our leading point getter wasn’t drafted or developed by us. Our top defenceman wasn’t drafted and developed by us. Our only other legit top 4 dman wasn’t drafted or developed by us.  So excuse my skepticism that this management group knows what the fxck they are doing. Hell, the only quality home grown talent we have are price and Gallagher and they were from the previous regime.

even after MB’s post deadline presser - most of the media - even ones like Engel who haven’t been overly harsh on MB left confused what the plan is, or even if there is one.  Seems like the only one on board with the plan is commandant Klink and some of his supporters on this site.  A couple of days ago, you were still taking delusionaly about the playoffs.

A couple of days ago i made a joke about still going for.the playoffs.  I wasnt serious.

See thats what i can do.  Sometimes i joke... sometimes i make a serious post... sometimes i talk about what i like in the organization.... sometimes i criticize.... sometimes there is sarcasm... etc.

This isnt unusual though.  Most of us are capable of these types of nuanced conversations.

You dont seem to be able to do that.  Your posts only take one track, and the train derailed long ago.  

You claim to "call them like you see them" but the only things you see are through an extremely biased prism that has no room for nuance, ever.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I read bits and pieces about Harris on this forum, and I hope he turns out to be an NHLer for us. He seems to be progressing well.

Id like to see Harris in Laval next year.

It has a dual effect in that he can move to a higher level and the pro game while also letting struble take over the top pair LHD spot ar Northeastern so hes progressing too.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I read bits and pieces about Harris on this forum, and I hope he turns out to be an NHLer for us. He seems to be progressing well.

From Scott Wheeler's evaluation on The Athletic (he ranks Harris as our #2 prospect, ahead of Romanov, Struble and Poehling):

He’s not big and he’s not going to dance his way into the slot and then rip a shot past a goalie, but he rarely makes mistakes with or without the puck, he’s got A-level four-way mobility, he can handle the puck in transition or curl away from pressure to stretch the ice with a long outlet pass and he has begun to play more aggressively offensively, revealing some power-play upside. (...) I think he projects safely as a two-way second pairing defenseman who can play big minutes, drive possession, make plays North-South as well as East-West and carve out a leadership role.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Nice sologoal by Norlinder to tie the game at 3.

Nice to see he came back playing well. 4pts in 3gms

They won today 4-3, Norlinder played 30:50, in a 2OT game. Modo up 1-0 in series.

This yr stats for some popular options last year for Habs;

12th  Boldy        34gms  9g 26pts (Playing with Newhook at BC, OK numbers...I guess.)

15th  Caufield   36gms 19g 36pts (lit it up at start, relatively quiet 2nd half) Will he sign or spend another year with Wisconsin?

16th  Newhook 34gms 19g 42pts (Boston College, not sure if same level as Caufield in NCAA?)

17th  Krebs       38gms 12g 60pts (good #s, assume injury shortened)

28th  Suzuki     44gms 18g 58pts (likely picked where should be)

33rd  Kaliyev    57gms 44g 98pts (Will question marks about this guy go unfounded and he be a steal for LA at 33?)

38th  Lavoie     55gms 38g 82pts (Doing well again and Oilers must be pleased)

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/habsent-minded/2020/3/13/21177267/montreal-canadiens-podcast-habsent-minded-2-43-who-should-habs-draft-in-first-round-nhl-prospects

Just a discussion on Habs options at draft, then glowing reports on Norlinder near end, who may really make Pacioretty deal look sweet if he pans out as some predict.

The SHL cancelled the rest of their season and relegation proceedings today.  That means that Norlinder will transfer to Frolunda next season.  (Had there been a promotion/relegation round, he would have stayed with Modo if they were promoted.)

Seems like Hillis had a good season (24g 83pts in 62gms)

But did McShane (23g 67pts in 62gms) and Fonstand (15g 74pts in 60gms) do enough to get a first contract?

It also seems like Houde (19g 52pts 44gms) was doing well enough to  get at least a PTO or AHL contract.

Bergevin suggested only one of the four was getting a contract.  Houde was never worth signing (he'd be better off playing his overage year than taking an AHL deal) and Hillis probably has done enough to be signed.  McShane has some good offensive tools but he slacks off in terms of effort way too often and I think that will scare the Habs off.  Fonstad has enough offensive upside as well but he hasn't really progressed much from his draft year.  I'd give him an AHL deal but I think he'd go the OA route instead.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Joni Ikonen signed a two-year deal with Ilves in Finland.  That's notable as the Habs only have one more year after this one to actually sign him. 

There is a transfer agreement with Finland though, so nothing stops them from signing him next summer if they want to. 

However, at this point, I think he needs a huge season to be considered.  The contract slots are limited and all his injuries have cast doubt on his future. 

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is a transfer agreement with Finland though, so nothing stops them from signing him next summer if they want to. 

However, at this point, I think he needs a huge season to be considered.  The contract slots are limited and all his injuries have cast doubt on his future. 

Signing a two-year Liiga contract makes sense for him: if he doesn't make it to the NHL a year from now, he will still have at least one more year under contract with Ilves.

I don't think Ikonen is particularly injury-prone but he has had some bad luck. But at this point I do agree that the injuries will make the road to the NHL harder for him. He may end up staying in Europe or playing in the KHL yet unless 2020-21 is fabulous. How well has he recovered from the injury, and how good will his training (prior to the season) be? We'll know more in six months or so.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Signing a two-year Liiga contract makes sense for him: if he doesn't make it to the NHL a year from now, he will still have at least one more year under contract with Ilves.

I don't think Ikonen is particularly injury-prone but he has had some bad luck. But at this point I do agree that the injuries will make the road to the NHL harder for him. He may end up staying in Europe or playing in the KHL yet unless 2020-21 is fabulous. How well has he recovered from the injury, and how good will his training (prior to the season) be? We'll know more in six months or so.

Its not necessarily about being injury prone.  Its basically 2 full years off the ice before he turns 21.  That is a huge loss of time in terms of developing as a player and its hard to replace that lost time.  Others, who he used to be ahead of, he will now be behind. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its not necessarily about being injury prone.  Its basically 2 full years off the ice before he turns 21.  That is a huge loss of time in terms of developing as a player and its hard to replace that lost time.  Others, who he used to be ahead of, he will now be behind. 

I agree with all of that, even if I didn't explicitly say that in my post. 😃