Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

47 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

But can he finish his checks? Be good without the puck? And score 10 goals playing 5 min a game?

He was drafted by Bergevin, he is a bust.

And if he isn't a bust, then Bergevin will ruin him. 

And if he isn't ruined by development, then Bergevin will trade him away for a fourth liner who sucks. 

And if he isn't traded away, then it will be luck, and Bergevin gets no credit.

Is he quick enough for pros?

"Hillis is the clear leader in play away from the puck. He pressures opponents harder on the forecheck, backcheck, and in-zone, and show a defensive pride that is not mirrored by many Junior prospects. That includes battling and blocking shots with little concern for safety. "

20 hours ago, DON said:

he isnt much of a prospect is he?

He's a wild card at this point.  He didn't have a great year but he wasn't exactly on a good team either.  The OHL will be a good test to see if he has a bit of a future or not, especially since he'll probably be a one and done player there as teams generally don't burn an OA and an import spot on the same player.

14 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Norlinder goes to Frölunda so he will play in SHL instead of allsvenskan.

That'll be a good test for him.  It's a two-year deal which is a little surprising but the NHL has a transfer agreement with Sweden so it shouldn't be an issue if the Habs want to sign him after next season.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see Cam Hillis named MVP of Guelph.

Kinda assume he will be one of the signed by June 1st.

19) Cam Hillis

Centre, Guelph (OHL)
3rd round pick (66th overall) in 2018

Nothing went right for Hillis last season.  He dealt with three significant injuries (two to the collarbone) and with the Storm loading up for the stretch run (including current Hab Nick Suzuki), playing time was sparse when he was in the lineup and his numbers weren’t the strongest.  That said, it’s hard to drop him down too far solely because he had an injury-plagued year.

Hillis is more of a pure playmaker compared to McShane but his all-around game is stronger.  He’s someone that can be effective in more of a defensive role while also being quite good at the faceoff dot.  In the first half of this season, he has been deployed on the top line routinely and the results have been encouraging.

He’s another player that the Habs will need to make a call on by June but considering how much Trevor Timmins seemed to want him, it’s reasonable to assume that a deal will get done.  Last season was certainly a write-off but it shouldn’t have affected his stock too badly.

2018-19 Stats: 33 GP, 10-12-22, -10 rating, 27 PIMS, 68 shots, 265/473 faceoffs (56.0%)
Previous HW Ranking: 17th
NHL ETA: 2022-23/2023-24 – Because 2018-19 was a poor year from a development perspective, Hillis has gone from someone that could move up the depth chart relatively quickly to someone that is likely to have a longer timeline.  The fact that he can be deployed in a defensive role should get him into recall consideration at some point in his sophomore pro season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Confirming what Bergevin said back around the trade deadline that only one of the four would get an ELC.

I guess is a good problem to have, too many picks/prospects and some 1/2 decent looking ones simply wont get signed.

But, still didn't like him making that public pronouncement couple months ago.

I thought Fonstad still had potential. But I assume that it's a game of available contract slots, and the other players (that have been signed) simply had more potential than Fonstad.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I thought Fonstad still had potential. But I assume that it's a game of available contract slots, and the other players (that have been signed) simply had more potential than Fonstad.

Same here.  He's the most notable loss of the three but he didn't progress much over the last couple of years.  I wonder if he's one of those prospects that played at a high level in junior early and more or less peaked at the same time.  If he couldn't elevate his game in the WHL, how productive would he have been in the pros?  I'd be content with him getting an AHL deal if he goes undrafted but I don't see him wanting to do that.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Same here.  He's the most notable loss of the three but he didn't progress much over the last couple of years.  I wonder if he's one of those prospects that played at a high level in junior early and more or less peaked at the same time.  If he couldn't elevate his game in the WHL, how productive would he have been in the pros?  I'd be content with him getting an AHL deal if he goes undrafted but I don't see him wanting to do that.

I am ok loosing any of Fonstad, McShane or Houde if we sign Luke Henman (forward) or Declan Chisholm (left D) like they signed Teasdale.

I only know what's available from old draft scouting reports and their latest stats, but they seem like better prospects worth of one of the 50 contract slots over those three prospects and any of Dauphin, Lucchini, Luchuk or Sturtz  who are up for re-signing

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am ok loosing any of Fonstad, McShane or Houde if we sign Luke Henman (forward) or Declan Chisholm (left D) like they signed Teasdale.

I only know what's available from old draft scouting reports and their latest stats, but they seem like better prospects worth of one of the 50 contract slots over those three prospects and any of Dauphin, Lucchini, Luchuk or Sturtz  who are up for re-signing

Dauphin already re-signed.  Lucchini is a coin flip (I'd lean no but he played well in Laval in limited action) while Luchuk/Sturtz are surefire non-tenders.

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I saw Fonstad play live once when he played for for Prince Albert and I am no scout but  i just didn't see a potential NHL player. For one thing he seemed a lot smaller than his listed size, he is a good skater but if you are small you better be an excellent skater.  He just didn't stand out but certainly 1 game is a small sample size and it was a playoff game where he was coming off an injury.