Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

I was going through list of invited players to CH combines that eventually were signed to AHL contract. 2012 looks interesting in hindsight:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2012/6/12/3080735/montreal-canadiens-host-team-draft-combine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is only one video clip, and it is always dangerous to put too much faith in highlights, but nice to see a LHD with "hands" in the pipeline

prospect ranking by Wheeler;

3. Cole Caufield, RW, 19 (Montreal Canadiens — 15th overall, 2019)

Nobody doubts Caufield’s ability to shoot the puck, get open, impose himself on the power play, or use his hands and feet to change angles so that he can create those shots from dangerous areas rather than the perimeter. But until Caufield does what he has done at other levels in the NHL, there will always be those who doubt his ability to drive a line, or to create without high-end passers, or to hold his own along the cycle or in the defensive zone. The more I’ve watched him, the more his play has begun to massage some of those natural tendencies to question him, though. Is he going to be able to win back possession or support the play defensively like some of his peers here? No. But he also has skills they will never be able to develop. Every NHL team has a couple of playmakers who are capable of getting him the puck when he doesn’t go get it for himself, and he did a great deal of his producing as a freshman in college while Alex Turcotte was either injured, sick, or playing on a different line. At some point, you’ve just got to trust you’re evaluation of his skills and the production that has always followed, against the impulse to doubt him.

48. Alexander Romanov, LHD, 20 (Montreal Canadiens — 38th overall, 2018)

It’s no secret that I’m considerably lower on Romanov than many in the hockey world. But his late-season play gave me reason enough to have him leapfrog Jordan Harris as my No. 2-ranked Canadiens prospect. I think it’s important the Canadiens and their fans temper their expectations with Romanov, though. He’s going to be a sound defender, given his decision-making, his skating, and his physicality for his size. He’s going to kickstart a lot of rushes by rotating off of pressure to headman the puck. He can walk the line and distribute. But he’s not likely going to run a top power play or be a high-end producer.

2020 ranking NHL prospects.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotDS1n6N2A

I know hindsight is bad way to look at it; but, trading down from 50 to 64 (Norlinder) I noticed Leafs grabbed Nick Robertson at 53 and Wheeler has him as 10th best prospect and leafs best.

I wonder who Timmins might of been ready to take at 50, doubt was Norlinder?  

30 other teams missed him, too. This happens regularly, there are always hidden diamonds in the rough. I doubt the Leafs knew how good he was when they picked him at 53.

Wheeler is also a Leaf homer who repeatedly tweets anti-habs takes that are comically bad.  I'd take his romanov and robertson rankings with huge grains of salt especially since they are way outside the consensus on both players.  Robertson is a nice prospect but not top 10 in the entire NHL, and Romanov is much higher than 48th in almost every other ranking. 

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wheeler is also a Leaf homer who repeatedly tweets anti-habs takes that are comically bad.  I'd take his romanov and robertson rankings with huge grains of salt especially since they are way outside the consensus on both players.  Robertson is a nice prospect but not top 10 in the entire NHL, and Romanov is much higher than 48th in almost every other ranking. 

He did say he was outlier on Romanov. But, i also think many HabFans have too high expectations for Romanov.

55g for Robertson is hard to ignore, not i had heard of him before.

What is your take on Kaliyev...Grigorenko 2.0 or more like a Tarasenko?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I seem to remember reading that Norlinder was the guy had they not traded down.

So they traded down 14 spots and got their guy?

On 7/6/2020 at 3:38 PM, DON said:

He did say he was outlier on Romanov. But, i also think many HabFans have too high expectations for Romanov.

Romanov is going to be a beaut. 

6 hours ago, DON said:

https://twitter.com/mtl_prospects/status/1280944289124700161

Swedish coach on Norlinder

Is Norlinder's skating comparable to Mete?

Have read it is good ... even if not quite matching mete, it sounds like the other elements of his game are superior ... actual top 4 potential 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Romanov is going to be a beaut. 

"beaut" has many different interpretations on a rating scale ... I agree he should be very good ... from what I've read and the little I've seen, hopefully Alexei Emelin with more offensive skills and the lack of facial plates limiting his ability to respond when challenged

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

"beaut" has many different interpretations on a rating scale ... I agree he should be very good ... from what I've read and the little I've seen, hopefully Alexei Emelin with more offensive skills and the lack of facial plates limiting his ability to respond when challenged

His numbers weren’t great in the KHL but he’s a smoother skater than Emelin and has a better first pass and shot (though Emelin got some pucks through as well) I was going to compare him to someone like Letang who wasn’t a high draft pick but turned out to be offensively gifted but many GMs and scouts have compared Romanov to Doughty and I can see that, especially because of their skating similarities. 

I actually loved Emelin, but Romanov will be much better.

42 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

His numbers weren’t great in the KHL but he’s a smoother skater than Emelin and has a better first pass and shot (though Emelin got some pucks through as well) I was going to compare him to someone like Letang who wasn’t a high draft pick but turned out to be offensively gifted but many GMs and scouts have compared Romanov to Doughty and I can see that, especially because of their skating similarities. 

I actually loved Emelin, but Romanov will be much better.

AE was a solid 2nd pairing defenceman so "much better" will be a great addition

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

the lack of facial plates limiting his ability to respond when challenged

Fighting is important to you?

You shittin me?:huh:

10 hours ago, DON said:

Fighting is important to you?

You shittin me?:huh:

NO ... I'll live with "organic/spontaneous" fights but don't like goons or staged fights ... just think it impacted Emelin's play on occasion ... knowing he couldn't risk a true fight if he expected a guy to immediately drop the gloves if hit (or to get jumped if a goon was on the ice)

Just now, GHT120 said:

NO ... I'll live with "organic/spontaneous" fights but don't like goons or staged fights ... just think it impacted Emelin's play on occasion ... knowing he couldn't risk a true fight if he expected a guy to immediately drop the gloves if hit (or to get jumped if a goon was on the ice)

Emelin didn't know how to fight, never did. That is how he got the metal plates in the first place. Much like Subban never fights despite trash talking and slew footing players.

I do not think it affected either player's game.

14 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Emelin didn't know how to fight, never did. That is how he got the metal plates in the first place. Much like Subban never fights despite trash talking and slew footing players.

I do not think it affected either player's game.

Perhaps ... but Emelin had a very real risk of severe injury, unlike just not wanting to fight

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps ... but Emelin had a very real risk of severe injury, unlike just not wanting to fight

But, he still tried to run Lucic through the boards every chance he got. (one too many times; but he still went at him 110%)

So, just didnt see it affecting his play.

image.png

2 hours ago, DON said:

But, he still tried to run Lucic through the boards every chance he got. (one too many times; but he still went at him 110%)

So, just didnt see it affecting his play.

image.png

Emelin knocked Pavelski all the way into the Stars 😌

and their locker room  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article on some Canadiens late round prospects:

https://canadiensprospects.com/2020/08/03/low-risk-high-reward-late-round-picks-who-could-become-important-players/

Evans, Primeau, Stapley and Pitlick

With the rumored departure of Hudon and the uncertainty around Vejdemo and Ikonen, it is nice to rad something positive about other depth players (Primeau seems like more than depth)