Hockey Sense: 60

7. Mattias Norlinder, D, MODO-Allsvenskan

April 12, 2000 | six-foot | 179 pounds

Tier: Legit NHL player

Skating: 60
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40

Tool grades are based on the 20-80 scale. In this scale, 50 projects as pro average, 55 as above-average, 60 top third, 70 as elite and 80 as among the very best; 45 is below-average and 40 is fringe pro quality. The shot is only graded if it is notably good.

There is no way Romanov and Norlinder are equal to 60 at skating. Romanov is a great skater as well but If Romanov is a 60 then Norlinder is at least 70. His skating is so effortless and smooth. I cant really comment on hockey sense. Ive seen good things from both players but need to see way more games.

31 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I've watched a handful of games with Norlinder thus far and have been saying for a while that he's a great prospect. Obviously, Im not anointing him the next Lindstrom, Karlsson or Hedman. However, some hockey experts out of Europe have done just that saying he's the best kept secret out of Europe currently! I recall reading a piece by Jack Han a while back that had me intrigued on the player. Since then, Ive researched and watched him. Im not talking about 2 minute highlight reels either. What I've seen is dominant play from him pretty much always. He is the protagonist in every game he's played that I've watched even if the points weren't there. On top of that he's had accolades from everyone he's played with including former NHL'ers. Even Victor Hedman says he's a diamond. I guess hes seen alot of him because of his brother Oscar. Tobias Enstrom claims hes the best partner he's ever had? The one thing I've noticed of him in the games Ive watched is how is skating is absolutley elite (like Erik Karlsson elite)! His stick is so active, always in the right place as well as is his shoulders when tracking puck/ player.

This is one player I insist we dont include in any trade.

Romanov, Norlinder, Primeau and Caufield (obviuosly KK and Suzuki have graduated from prospects to players in my book)

Ylonen is supposed to be a snipper. And he is slated to start in Laval. Shouldn’t we add him to the bunch ?

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ylonen is supposed to be a snipper. And he is slated to start in Laval. Shouldn’t we add him to the bunch ?

Personally those 4 are my hands off prospects. all others can surely be had at the right price for a real upgrade to our starting line up.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Looking at Pronman's tool ratings, they are not really comparable player to player. I would use them only for a single player, to identify that player's strengths and weaknesses.

Whats the point then? Pronman rates Romanov a 60/80 in skating... Norlinder a 60/80 in skating  as well . They should be relatively the same at skating then in relation to there other skills. 

Are these ratings used as a scouting tool? if so then for sure they can be used to compare players through the lens of Pronman Athletic

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Whats the point then? Pronman rates Romanov a 60/80 in skating... Norlinder a 60/80 in skating  as well . They should be relatively the same at skating then in relation to there other skills. 

Are these ratings used as a scouting tool? if so then for sure they can be used to compare players through the lens of Pronman Athletic

I know ... I was excited to compare the ratings, but when the #10 Brook has the same ratings average (55) as the #1 Suzuki, I downgraded my expectations.

Hopefully for Cole it is only one step back and not two.

On 9/7/2020 at 7:14 PM, DON said:

Pronman Athletic take on these 2 in habprospect list;

3. Alexander Romanov, D, CSKA-KHL

Jan. 6, 2000 | 5-foot-11 | 185 pounds

Tier: High-end NHL player

Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 45

7. Mattias Norlinder, D, MODO-Allsvenskan

April 12, 2000 | six-foot | 179 pounds

Tier: Legit NHL player

Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 40

Tool grades are based on the 20-80 scale. In this scale, 50 projects as pro average, 55 as above-average, 60 top third, 70 as elite and 80 as among the very best; 45 is below-average and 40 is fringe pro quality. The shot is only graded if it is notably good.

Just as an aside ... GOOD NEWS: the Habs are ranked as the 9th best pool of players 22 years old or younger as of Sept. 15, 2020 ... BAD NEWS: three of the eight teams ahead of them are in the Atlantic Division (Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto) and three others in the Metropolitan (Carolina, NJD, NYR) ... Flyers one step behind the Habs and then the next seven from the West.

Hockey30 reporting that habs will let Norlinder play out his 2 yr-deal with Frolunda and then expect him to move straight to the NHL ... not a bad plan ... Frolunda plays in the SHL, often rated as the third best league in the world ... if schedules better align next year and Norlinder can attend the 21/22 training camp, it will then be interesting to see how the "players make up our minds for us" philosophy plays out

This may be positive news for an AHL season, without a bubble and with some fans in teh stand (the MLB model)

EOTP bit.

Bit of poll of 5 swedish hockey talking heads comments on Norlinder:

• "Norlinder will be one of the breakout players in the SHL this season.”
  • "This year’s breakthrough player in my opinion."
  •  "The kid is special.”
  • "I believe that the new atmosphere in Gothenburg will do Mattias good and help him to take the next step toward the NHL.”
  • “Norlinder is one of the most interesting prospects right now in Sweden."

A report from Sweden has Rogle interested in signing Cole Caufield.  They've already released Raphael Lavoie to open up a roster spot.  Bergevin said recently that his preference would be for Caufield to play overseas rather than sign with the Habs if the NCAA season gets cancelled (or significantly delayed).

https://hockeynews.se/articles/16045/

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A report from Sweden has Rogle interested in signing Cole Caufield.  They've already released Raphael Lavoie to open up a roster spot.  Bergevin said recently that his preference would be for Caufield to play overseas rather than sign with the Habs if the NCAA season gets cancelled (or significantly delayed).

https://hockeynews.se/articles/16045/

Assume it kills his NCAA eligibility ... is the big advantage over the OHL is that we know the Euro leagues are playing while OHL only has plans to do so.

On 9/18/2020 at 8:36 AM, DON said:

EOTP bit.

Bit of poll of 5 swedish hockey talking heads comments on Norlinder:

• "Norlinder will be one of the breakout players in the SHL this season.”
  • "This year’s breakthrough player in my opinion."
  •  "The kid is special.”
  • "I believe that the new atmosphere in Gothenburg will do Mattias good and help him to take the next step toward the NHL.”
  • “Norlinder is one of the most interesting prospects right now in Sweden."

So is a good comparable for him to project as?  Does he project out to be better than Romanov?

We’ve been waiting for Romanov for a while and he head a good world juniors, but how much offense can be expected at the NHL?  Are either going to be as impactful as a Hughes, Werenski, Jones, Niskaannen?  Are they even going to project to a ring down like a Trouba, Dumba, or Theodore?

if not, I’d like to get some more higher end D prospects.

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So is a good comparable for him to project as?  Does he project out to be better than Romanov?

We’ve been waiting for Romanov for a while and he head a good world juniors, but how much offense can be expected at the NHL?  Are either going to be as impactful as a Hughes, Werenski, Jones, Niskaannen?  Are they even going to project to a ring down like a Trouba, Dumba, or Theodore?

if not, I’d like to get some more higher end D prospects.

Based on what I've read ... Romanov will skew more defensive and Norlinder more offensive ... but neither terrible at the other's strength

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Assume it kills his NCAA eligibility ... is the big advantage over the OHL is that we know the Euro leagues are playing while OHL only has plans to do so.

Yes, that would be the end of his NCAA eligibility if he signs over there.

This is a different scenario for Caufield.  If it's a sign (Habs) and loan, it can't be to the SHL as they're not taking players on loan unless they had an existing deal there already.  For Caufield to go to Rogle, it would have to be a full-season contract since they're in the SHL.

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, that would be the end of his NCAA eligibility if he signs over there.

As for the reason the habs apparently suggesting the SHL, as a fan I would prefer to see him in the OHL ***if*** there was confidence there will be a season (although Erie, Flint and Saginaw being in the US would/could be problematic ... even more so for the WHL with Everett, Portland, Seattle, Spokane and Tri-City) ... wonder if he could be traded to Blainville-Boisbriand (???)

From Caufield's perspective, wonder if he would get more money in SHL than the the max signing bonus ($92,500?) he would receive from signing with the Habs and going the CHL route?

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Given what Caufield has already done in the NCAA, id rather him in the SHL than OHL.

There is more to learn playing pro against men.

Would be interesting to see how he would do in SHL and a different experience than USA or NCAA hockey.