Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Poehling with that highlight reel goal to put them up 3-2 and he also scores the OT winner. 28pts 29games

St. Cloud ranked #1 and Notre Dame #5

Ikonen had 3a game couple days ago, sign of life anyways.

Primeau 1st star of week in NCAA with his back to back shutouts.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/three-stars/2018-02-27/college-hockey-players-week-northeasterns-cayden-primeaus

4 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Damn

Gotta give you a little more hope for the future anyways. I think last weekend was said Poehling was the shut down man vs a strong #3 ranked Denver team in a tie and win.

Brook gets 1g (3) GWG, 28pts in 38gms +48 for Moose Jaw

Poehling 1g (12) in a 2-2 tie.

3 other WHL d-men:

Scott Walford gets his 1st goal of year for Victoria, 30pts in 64gms

Cal Fleury 1a for Regina, 11g 46pts in 61gms

Jarret Tyszka 8g 38pts 62gms for Seattle

Bitten 2a, 19g 61pts in 58gms

Poehling 1g (14) but lose game, tied series 1-1, 3rd game at 5 today

Primeau-Hawkey both win, win series 2-0

Fleury-Tyszka 1a each, Brook/Pezzetta/Bitten quiet.

Ikonen sitting with 4g 14pts in 52 games. Has been getting 14+minutes so must be playing OK at least.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I haven't been able to find much about the likelihood of Jake Evans signing with Montreal or going the free agent route. Anyone hearing anything about which way he is leaning?

Its still more than 2 weeks away. 

Notre Dame is #2 in the pairwise rankings, so even if they lose to Ohio State, they will still be invited to the National Tournament. 

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its still more than 2 weeks away. 

Notre Dame is #2 in the pairwise rankings, so even if they lose to Ohio State, they will still be invited to the National Tournament. 

I know, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not he is planning to sign with Montreal or go to free agency.

10 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I know, but that doesn't have anything to do with whether or not he is planning to sign with Montreal or go to free agency.

Its the reason why we aren't hearing anything. 

He's focused on winning a Big 10 championship and on trying to win an NCAA Championship.  He isn't thinking contract now.

They won't really talk numbers and such until ND is eliminated. 

At midseason it seemed he was leaning towards signing with Montreal.... but right now he's going to focus on his team, and not on himself and his contract, at least until the season is done.  At this point in the year, its all about no distractions.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its the reason why we aren't hearing anything. 

He's focused on winning a Big 10 championship and on trying to win an NCAA Championship.  He isn't thinking contract now.

They won't really talk numbers and such until ND is eliminated. 

At midseason it seemed he was leaning towards signing with Montreal.... but right now he's going to focus on his team, and not on himself and his contract, at least until the season is done.  At this point in the year, its all about no distractions.

Usually the top seniors like this have given some indication as to if they plan on signing or not, i.e. Vesey several years ago and Butcher last year. 

Vesey was an unknown until after his season ended.  The Preds were shocked he didnt sign. 

Butcher wasnt a last minute decision, it was something he was saying at midseason cause the Avs never made him a contract offer after his junior year.

The last we heard from Evans (leaning Montreal) basically came at the same point in the season as we heard that Butcher was mad at the Avs.

6 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I haven't been able to find much about the likelihood of Jake Evans signing with Montreal or going the free agent route. Anyone hearing anything about which way he is leaning?

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

The last we heard from Evans (leaning Montreal) basically came at the same point in the season as we heard that Butcher was mad at the Avs.

Evans said in an interview fairly recently (paraphrased), "Montreal believed in me when nobody else did." and had indicated he would sign in Montreal as Commandant noted.

As far as pure speculation towards his intent, well... he's Canadian (from Toronto), so probably has no problem living in Laval like some American-born players might. Habs depth at center is so bad he might be the #1 or #2 guy in Laval next year, and could be a #3 center in Montreal the year after... so he's probably not going to get a better trajectory towards the NHL anywhere else. And by signing his contract this year with Montreal, he banks himself an extra year of a signing bonus. I'd speculate he has more reasons to sign with Montreal than anywhere else. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah i think that was around the Spengler Cup when he said that.... 

Again, its one thing at mid-season.  Now that the playoffs are here, he's probably not even responding to reporter questions about it. 

Defensemen Jimmy Schuldt, Jordan Gross, Alec Rauhauser are a few other NCAA candidates to consider as well IMO.  Olivier Galipeau would be interesting as well in the Q.

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

Vesey was an unknown until after his season ended.  The Preds were shocked he didnt sign. 

Butcher wasnt a last minute decision, it was something he was saying at midseason cause the Avs never made him a contract offer after his junior year.

Huh. I would have sworn Vesey announced it even earlier than Butcher. Well, glad to hear the few rumblings out there have been positive.  Would have loved to have seen Anders Bjork stick around for his senior year - Notre Dame would have even better this year. Though from Montreal's perspective, I'm sure they liked getting to see Evans be "the guy" this year.

2 hours ago, John B said:

Defensemen Jimmy Schuldt, Jordan Gross, Alec Rauhauser are a few other NCAA candidates to consider as well IMO.  Olivier Galipeau would be interesting as well in the Q.

Schuldt has previously been in Habs camps, plus he's on the same team as Poehling.  Could be a bit of an advantage (though not a sure thing) in signing him. 

On 3/12/2018 at 2:15 PM, Habopotamus said:

Just read a little bit about Daniel Brickley. Looks like a guy that should be targeted 

I read the other day that 30/31 teams have already reached out to his 'family advisor' (also known as an agent but college players technically can't have agents).  He's the prize of this college FA class.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:29 PM, Commandant said:

Schuldt has previously been in Habs camps, plus he's on the same team as Poehling.  Could be a bit of an advantage (though not a sure thing) in signing him. 

I wanted Schuldt last year and I still want him this time around.  Robby Jackson (another St. Cloud guy) was at Montreal's camp as well and should draw some attention.  (Jon Lizotte was the other from that team at the development camp but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays another year.)

By the way, nice work on the annual College FA series on your site.

Regarding Evans, Corey Pronman of The Athletic believes he's leaning towards signing with Montreal.  Given the Habs' lack of centre depth, it's hard to think there is a better opportunity for him out there.

• Like 1