Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Busts or late bloomers?

Any news on Koberstein, Staum and Henrikson?

Koberstein was a fringe player with a fringe team in his junior year.  He's pretty much in bust territory.  Staum wasn't having a good year before he got hurt and the fact that he was still in the USHL in his second post-draft year is concerning.  (His USHL rights got traded the other day so I can't help but wonder if he's staying there again next year.)  I'd like to see him play college hockey before calling him a bust but it's telling that he can't seem to get there.  Henrikson was a little better but he still has a really long way to go.  He was an extreme longshot to begin with so it's probably not fair to call him a bust but I'm skeptical he's going to take the big leap forward to get to legitimate prospect status.

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

From the little that I saw him play, he seemed to have decent potential. Is he close in joining  Laval?

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2018/5/20/17372238/montreal-canadiens-should-sign-cale-fleury-exploit-cba-loophole-entry-level-contract-ahl-laval

20 hours ago, DON said:

The Kid is strong on his skates

I watched some of the games, Fleury looked good. Sam Steel was awesome, I which we could get him for Pacioretty

I didn't know anyone on Acadie-Bathurst team besides Dobson (he didn't impress me in the final)

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dobson was awesome all tourney.  So was galipeau (overrage free agent)

Acadie were so dominant through the neutral zone

Probably I missed it. I PVR'ed it and watched it after midnight :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

Team USA released their preliminary roster for the upcoming World Junior Summer Showcase next month and a pair of Montreal prospects are on it - Ryan Poehling and Cayden Primeau.  Neither is really a surprise - Poehling seems like a lock to play in the WJCs while Primeau got on the radar with his phenomenal freshman campaign.  Looking at the other goalies on the invite list, he's probably the best one at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Josh Brook has been invited to Team Canada's summer camp for the WJC

That gives the Habs a total of six prospects that could play in the WJSC that starts later this month.  (The others are Poehling, Primeau, Olofsson, Kotkaniemi, and Ylonen.)

• 3 weeks later...

Since Tim Hunter is canadas head coach it really shouldnt effect his chances to make the team in december.

If hes playing well in the fall his coach will know and he makes it.  If hes not doing well he wont.

We've reached the point of the offseason where I'm quickly running out of ideas to write about.  As a result, I'll probably be doing a prospect mailbag in the not too distant future so if anyone has a question about a specific player (or just wants some commentary about a prospect), post them here and I'll try to add them into the column.

When will they decide Cale Fleury will be in Laval or WHL this fall?

Will Vejdemo likely play the season in Laval or end up back in Sweden?

Is Pezzetta a Conner Crisp clone?

How do you think Evans will fare vs Pros?

What happened to Poehling's teammate d-man ( I think he was captain last year and excelled?), did he sign with a NHL team?

Romanov also gonna face stiffer competition in KHL vs MHL, are smaller faster d-men a new trend in KHL as well as NHL?

49 minutes ago, DON said:

What happened to Poehling's teammate d-man ( I think he was captain last year and excelled?), did he sign with a NHL team?

Jimmy Schuldt decided to return for his senior year.  I believe he went to development camp with Vegas this summer.

In a somewhat surprising development, both Kotkaniemi and Ylonen are not on Finland's roster for the World Junior Summer Showcase.  Kotkaniemi was their 1C for both tune-up games so I don't think it's performance-related; I suspect they just want to get a look at other players.