Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Given that certain NCAA prospects are announcing they are turning pro at end of NCAA season...any chance we will hear about Poehling's intentions "soon"?

Good night for the prospects

Romanov with 1 assist while playing for the National Team

Ikonen with an assist

Teasdale 2g
McShane 1g 2a
Fonstad 2g 3a
Brook 2g 2a (OT game winner)
Walford 1a
Tyszka 1a
Poehling 1a

• Like 1

Mathias Brunet wrote a piece today.

He says that he had some words with John Sedwick, Habs Vice President of Hockey ops and legal affairs, and Sedwick confirmed that  Poehling could play some games at the end of this season + playoffs  without being exposed at Seattle's expension draft.  However, it would count as a year of his entry level contract.

Thoughts ?   Could he come in for the playoffs and have an impact like  McAvoy did a few seasons ago ?

13 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

He says that he had some words with John Sedwick, Habs Vice President of Hockey ops and legal affairs, and Sedwick confirmed that  Poehling could play some games at the end of this season + playoffs  without being exposed at Seattle's expension draft.  However, it would count as a year of his entry level contract.

Thoughts ?   Could he come in for the playoffs and have an impact like  McAvoy did a few seasons ago ?

My guess is he would play in Laval and then be part of "Black Aces" (assuming Habs make playoffs) but not actually play for Habs. But, am sure Commandant or dlbalr would have better guess.

Dont see he would be an impact player or difference maker because there already are bunch of forwards in top six that he wont bump, so he would unlikely get any prime offensive opportunities...unless is a rash of injuries up front.

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I'll have to take a look at the expansion bit (that one surprises me) but Bergevin has all but said this was the plan - they intend to try to sign him as soon as the season's over.  Of course, they'll have to structure it to start right away and burn a year this season instead of going the ATO/future contract route.  I was actually a little surprised by the Thompson trade as I figured Poehling was going to be the 4C down the stretch and possibly the postseason.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I'll have to take a look at the expansion bit (that one surprises me) but Bergevin has all but said this was the plan - they intend to try to sign him as soon as the season's over.  Of course, they'll have to structure it to start right away and burn a year this season instead of going the ATO/future contract route.  I was actually a little surprised by the Thompson trade as I figured Poehling was going to be the 4C down the stretch and possibly the postseason.

I think its true

Reason being that Burning a year of an ELC is not the same as gaining a season of pro hockey towards things like arbitration and UFA status

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think its true

Reason being that Burning a year of an ELC is not the same as gaining a season of pro hockey towards things like arbitration and UFA status

That threshold applies for 18/19 players.  Poehling's ELC signing age would be 20 so the 9/40 thresholds wouldn't apply.  (Unless the 40 GP threshold extends beyond that - I haven't looked anything up so I'm just guessing here...)

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I have a hard time believing Julien would put that much trust in a rookie. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That threshold applies for 18/19 players.  Poehling's ELC signing age would be 20 so the 9/40 thresholds wouldn't apply.  (Unless the 40 GP threshold extends beyond that - I haven't looked anything up so I'm just guessing here...)

Isn't the ELC signing age determined by the year the contract begins on July 1st?

That would be the case with a 35+ contract. 

So Poehling's signing date would be July 1st 2018?

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Isn't the ELC signing age determined by the year the contract begins on July 1st?

That would be the case with a 35+ contract. 

So Poehling's signing date would be July 1st 2018?

This is what Brunet wrote + a rough translation of mine :

"Pour faire une histoire courte, Ryan Poehling est donc considéré comme un joueur collégial de 19 ans pour les règles touchant au ballottage et à l'élargissement des cadres, mais comme un joueur de 20 ans pour le statut contractuel."

"Long story short, Ryan Poehling is considered as a 19 yo college player for rules about waivers and expansion but as a 20 yo player in terms of contract status.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Am I aloud to say I expected more out of Suzuki now? 17 points in 15 games....

No...kidding

Last year 1.56pts/gm

this year  1.38pts/gm

Brook       1.28pts/gm