Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

On 7/13/2020 at 11:45 AM, DON said:

But, he still tried to run Lucic through the boards every chance he got. (one too many times; but he still went at him 110%)

So, just didnt see it affecting his play.

Yeah, I don't think it affected his play, which is why he always kind of bothered me. If he was just a physical defenseman who couldn't fight, that's ok. But he was a step beyond that and was borderline dirty on a somewhat regular basis. That dirty streak never sat well with me since he basically had a free pass to turn down fight challenges.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:33 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

a free pass to turn down fight challenges.

I dont get the need to fight for playing overly physical, any good solid hit these days causes a fight, idiotic.

Try and hit him back perhaps, or run him through the boards if have the chance maybe, would be better and legal reaction.

Emelin had a talent for hitting and you cant tell him to not crunch players, it helped win many games vs Bruins, getting Lucic and Boston to take stupid penalties and not retaliating.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:24 AM, DON said:

I dont get the need to fight for playing overly physical, any good solid hit these days causes a fight, idiotic.

Try and hit him back perhaps, or run him through the boards if have the chance maybe, would be better and legal reaction.

Emelin had a talent for hitting and you cant tell him to not crunch players, it helped win many games vs Bruins, getting Lucic and Boston to take stupid penalties and not retaliating.

There's a difference between physical and dirty, and Emelin was a guy that crossed that line at times. If you cross that line, you should face the music from the opposition. Get out of here with comments like fights happening after any big hit. There's be a heck of a lot more fighting in the league if that was the case.

Custance The Athletic:

"They sift through hours and hours of game film to find the clips to show the players during breakout meetings the next day. The affection these coaches have for their players is so clear. Cole Caufield buries a goal on the big screen in front of them.

“With how sharp this angle is, it HAS to go right in that corner to get up there,” Wroblewski says.

“He’s the most accurate shooter I’ve ever seen that way,” Hinote answers.

“Look at the smile. He’s already smiling,” Wroblewski says. “It’s just in the back of the net and he’s already smiling.”"

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I liked the Ikonen pick, but he can't seem to stay healthy.

June 2018: knee (?) in practice, missed half the season

September 2019: leg (knee? ankle?) injury in a pre-season game, missed the whole season

Is that freaky bad luck? Or does he have injury-prone knees? :(

15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

September 2019: leg (knee? ankle?) injury in a pre-season game, missed the whole season

If I remember correctly, he is smallish and plays a gritty game like Lehkonen or Gallagher. The concern was that he would not be able to keep playing that way

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

On the upside (from the Habs point of view), he's a centre, and at this point of view we are (finally!) not understaffed in that department.

18-19 13gms 10pts

19-20 0 gms

not alot of hockey played lately

I think he played four or five pre-season games this season before getting injured again. But I was never able to find out how he got injured -- pre-season Liiga games are rarely televised so there is no footage, and none of the newspapers covered it, either. Presumable it did not look dangerous at the time.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I think he played four or five pre-season games this season before getting injured again. But I was never able to find out how he got injured -- pre-season Liiga games are rarely televised so there is no footage, and none of the newspapers covered it, either. Presumable it did not look dangerous at the time.

They started their preseason on Wednesday and he sat that one out.

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

By "this season" I meant 2019-2020, not the upcoming 2020-21 season. Sorry for the confusion.

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

i think i saw noted is a lingering leg injury.

Norlinder moves

Since que beginning I have always seen in him an Erik Karlsson type of player. Deceptive, poise, pure talent. Do you agree

@Zeb_Habs

?

Patrik Bexell

@Zeb_Habs

·

1h

I'd say he is better defensively, and not as good offensively

What do you feel is his timeline for making it to Montreal...?

Patrik Bexell

@Zeb_Habs

·

2h

Still two years, as his contract with Frölunda is that long.

35 minutes ago, DON said:

What do you feel is his timeline for making it to Montreal...?

Patrik Bexell

@Zeb_Habs

·

2h

Still two years, as his contract with Frölunda is that long.

There is a transfer agreement in place with Sweden so the Habs could bring him over after the upcoming season if they wanted regardless of his contract with Frolunda.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There is a transfer agreement in place with Sweden so the Habs could bring him over after the upcoming season if they wanted regardless of his contract with Frolunda.

But, 2 years is more likely, dont you think? Given pandemic, his game, habs roster and his new contract.

38 minutes ago, DON said:

But, 2 years is more likely, dont you think? Given pandemic, his game, habs roster and his new contract.

This weird "off season" structure makes these discussions strange ... two years chronologically would be leading into the 22/23 season ... I agree the 21/22 season is a more reasonable expectation ... think Norlinder will definitely benefit from at least 20/21 with Frölunda ... they are a top-notch organization ...

21/22 training camp should be quite interesting on the blueline ... barring trades ... Weber, Chiarot and Petry set ... one of (my bet) Kulak/Mete gone to Seattle ... Romanov entering his second season ... Norlinder, Struble, Harris and Fairbender(?) arriving ... Fleury, Juulsen and Brook in whatever role to which they have climbed.

36 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

21/22 training camp should be quite interesting on the blueline ... barring trades ... Weber, Chiarot and Petry set ... one of (my bet) Kulak/Mete gone to Seattle ... Romanov entering his second season ... Norlinder, Struble, Harris and Fairbender(?) arriving ... Fleury, Juulsen and Brook in whatever role to which they have climbed.

It may be crowded but not quite that crowded. Trades aside, Norlinder may or may not be ready for NHL, there might be a year of AHL first. Struble, Harris and Fairbrother are surely much more than a year away from the NHL, assuming they do make it. Olofsson and Leskinen will be looking for a chance, too, though I expect their chances are not great.

The big, big, big question mark is what happens to the 2020-21 AHL season.

On 8/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, tomh009 said:

All right, so Ikonen's 2018 injury was the knee, in 2019 it was his hamstring. Both part of the legs, but I don't think this is a pattern of fragility.

But he has lost the most of two seasons, so the question is whether he can make up for that lost time.

Not certain what the numbers represent (maybe a more statistically inclined person can help)  ... but Hockey30 compares Norlinder's development to Ekholm's (23+ minutes/game for the last four seasons in Nashville) and says they are comparable ... that would be very nice

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain what the numbers represent (maybe a more statistically inclined person can help)  ... but Hockey30 compares Norlinder's development to Ekholm's (23+ minutes/game for the last four seasons in Nashville) and says they are comparable ... that would be very nice

Norlinder just had a hat trick in pre season (I think) blowout game.