Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Reway is heading to the KHL next year (for a Slovakian based team).

This is not an unprecedented move for a kid his age. Nicklas Jensen (Canucks), spent two years in Oshawa (one pre-draft, one post-draft), one year in Sweden, and then went to the AHL.

I think this could also affect his signing eligibility date. Here's something from the CBA:

8.6 (b) Drafted Players who Leave the Major Juniors prior to age 20. Notwithstanding any provision of subsection (a) to the contrary, Clubs shall have additional rights set forth in subsections (i), (ii) and (iii) below with respect to Players who either: (i) were drafted while playing in the Major Juniors or (ii) other than college players described in Section © below or Players drafted from a club outside North America described in Section (d) below, play in the Juniors during the period of time that a Club holds their exclusive negotiating rights and, in either case, cease to play in the Juniors and play in a league other than Juniors prior to age 20.

(ii) If a Player who is drafted as an 18-year-old ceases to play in the Juniors in the second League Year after he has been drafted and the Club has tendered to such Player a Bona Fide Offer pursuant to 8.6(a)(ii), his drafting Club shall have the exclusive right of negotiation for his services until the fourth June 1 following his initial selection in the Entry Draft.

As he is still on the Reserve List as of June 1, the Habs have tendered Reway a Bona Fide Offer (as they have with all picks from the last draft) and Reway is leaving effective the second league season after being drafted, that should give Montreal two more years to sign Reway...assuming I'm interpreting that correctly.

I think this could also affect his signing eligibility date. Here's something from the CBA:

As he is still on the Reserve List as of June 1, the Habs have tendered Reway a Bona Fide Offer (as they have with all picks from the last draft) and Reway is leaving effective the second league season after being drafted, that should give Montreal two more years to sign Reway...assuming I'm interpreting that correctly.

Did you sacrifice a virgin before reading the CBA, as is recommended for true enlightenment?

I could see that. Reway was dominating in the second half of the year.

The Habs probably want him to play against guys with real size instead of juniors. He needs to learn that, and he won't be able to pull off all the same fancy he can against QMJHL kids.

Similar to Lehkonen in SHL for next 2 years eh.

Let him develop and gain a bit more strength and confidence playing vs men.

Although Reway seems much more cocky than the Finn, not that means anything.

Be quite something if McCarron does well and stands out, Commandant hopefully is too pessimistic about him (but I guess I am a bit as well)

HockeyProspect.com has their black book out now. Sometimes at the back they have reports on individual games and their scouts will include already drafted players in them. Here are some reports on our prospects from it.

"SBY #77 Crisp, Connor (Montreal) - Connor came to the defense of his teammate Evan de Haan after he got absolutely leveled with a clean hit by Alex Renaud. Crisp picked a fight with the smaller, younger Renaud and destroyed him pretty bad landing several huge punches. In addition to the fight, Crisp was effective throughout the game showing very well in battles along the wall and finishes his checks hard. Crisp is built huge and makes his presence known physically at every opportunity, but also showed a pretty good shot as well."

"LON #24 RW McCarron, Michael (Montreal) - Michael struggled with the puck today getting knocked around by much smaller players and lacks the speed or puck protection to maintain puck control for long periods of time."

"CHI #10 RW, Hudon, Charles (2012 Montreal draft pick) I really liked his play in the neutral zone. The passes he made and his positioning were a big part of his game. He broke up plenty of plays and he was great on the powerplay. He liked to get under Jerome Verrier's skin, as he always had something to say to him after the whistle. His slap shot from the point isn't overly heavy, but it’s accurate. He made some nice changes of direction, as well, in order to create passing lanes. It was a typical game coming out of him."

"SLO #10 RW, Reway, Martin (2013 Montreal Canadiens draft pick)
Reway is an east-west forward that can turn on a dime. I really like his shiftiness and his puck control in the offensive zone. He looked like a wizard, especially in the first period. He showcased a good sense of anticipation early on. He was quite noticeable in the first period as he was the most dangerous offensive threat for his team. Had a goal on a powerplay and another late in the third when he took a shot on his backhand after he received a pass from David Griger. He still shies away from physical play."

no comment on my 'dark horse' Gregoire eh, he is a bit off radar I know.

Would you give Gregoire any chance (1%) at world juniors this year? How soon do they announce summer camp roster?

Would you give Gregoire any chance (1%) at world juniors this year? How soon do they announce summer camp roster?

Last year it was June 28th so it should be soon. I'm not sure he'd get a crack in camp but if he has a strong start to next season, he could get on the radar.

Brian have you got any names for development camp in a couple of weeks (invites)? Maybe they wait and see who has been drafted.

Sam Anas is the only confirmed invitee thus far. I'm sure there will be plenty of others though.

Well Gregoire would be fighting for very few spots I think, but would be nice to see keep progressing, and I would say he outshone Hudon in Q-playoffs. Not bad for a (still) 18 year old 176th pick.

Well Gregoire would be fighting for very few spots I think, but would be nice to see keep progressing, and I would say he outshone Hudon in Q-playoffs. Not bad for a (still) 18 year old 176th pick.

Oh agreed, absolutely. I'd love for him to become a sleeper prospect.

never added up star forwards/1st rounders invited but seems a bunch.

But good for him to get invited anyways, got to be boost for confidence after being such a late pick in last draft.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker