Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Brian have you got any names for development camp in a couple of weeks (invites)? Maybe they wait and see who has been drafted.

It didn't take long after the draft for some invites to come out:

W Matt Highmore (Saint John, QMJHL), W Alex Goulet (Charlottetown, QMJHL), W Bokondji Imama (Baie-Comeau, QMJHL), and D Marc-Olivier Cremier-Morin (Gatineau, QMJHL) are all going to the development camp.

Edit: Add in Phillipe Gadoury (Halifax, QMJHL). He's eligible to play in the minors this year.

Add Dylan Corson to the camp invite list. He played in Barrie for a year and a half. He's not any good. The Colts traded him for a player who was about to be waived and a 15th round pick last season after they more or less gave up on him.

It's worrisome that the Russians don't think Scherbak is national team quality. That was the case with Avtsin and Trunev, who looked like they should be national team quality from over here, but weren't included.

Edited by raphael

It's worrisome that the Russians don't think Scherbak is national team quality. That was the case with Avtsin and Trunev, who looked like they should be national team quality from over here, but weren't included.

I believe not inviting Scherbak is more a political statement than a hockey statement. They don't want to be seen as rewarding a player for leaving Russia to play in North America.

I believe not inviting Scherbak is more a political statement than a hockey statement. They don't want to be seen as rewarding a player for leaving Russia to play in North America.

He wasn't part of the national teams before he left Russia. This is his last year of junior eligibility as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear, but another kid for Hamilton will not likely help make playoffs.

He is 'for sure' done in WHL? Or still possible he go back and play on some top contending team?

Great to hear, but another kid for Hamilton will not likely help make playoffs.

He is 'for sure' done in WHL? Or still possible he go back and play on some top contending team?

I saw a quote from Kootenay's coach that said the Habs told him that their intention is to have him play pro next year. I suppose if he isn't in too good of shape during training camp, that could change.

On drafting big stay-at-home dmen.

A Recent study shows that with all else equal... a defenceman who scored .5 PPG or more in his draft year is about 3x as likely to make the NHL as someone who didn't.

If you are a Big stay at home dmen in junior, you have a much greater chance of being an NHL bust.

If you are a point scoring dman in junior, you can make the NHL... sometimes as a defensive dman.

That's a silly stat to use. First of all, obviously the guys who scored more points are more likely to make it. Not all defensemen who score a lot of points are small, for one thing. Secondly, the guys who are smaller and don't score a lot of points are far less likely to be drafted. .5 points per game average isn't very remarkable for a CHL defensenman. It all depends on power play time. Generally a bigger defenseman will see less PP time because he is used for PK and shutting down the oppositions top line. Shea Weber had less than 20 points his draft year. Zdeno Chara had 22 points in the WHL the year after he was drafted. In the case of Brett Lernout, he scored more points at even strength than his partner Brycen Martin, but Martin piled up a load of points on the PP and had about double the production overall. But Martin would be terrible on the PK, so that is what Lernout played.

I think commandant could find other stats to back his hypothesis and he does have a good point, that even high scoring d-men in lower leagues may not translate offense to pros and if you don't even score as an amateur your upside is very limited.

But, to use a 3rd, 4th & 5th round picks on 2 rugged physical long shots is worth it (and was exactly what I was hoping for), when you lack crease clearers in farm system.

Jarred Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieau are relatively equal on the Habs prospect list, I would say, but they are total opposites in terms of style, and offensive production. Tinordi never scored 20 points in a season as a junior, and Beaulieau was close to point a game guy. Both types have their place.

But, which one has had ego issues, isn't a leader nor has shown leadership qualities, still cant play his position well as a defender (even in minors) and has seemed to rely on his god given speed/skills way too much, seems to lack Hockey IQ/situational awareness, has a criminal record and hasn't shown a lot of improvement?

So not a big fan of that one and am a big fan of the other, even though he never should of been a 1st round selection. He simply is 'my kind' of d-man whereas the other likely should be a winger (where he could float and don't need to have much brainpower to play that position). :nuts:

I agree Don, I have more faith in Tinordi, than I do in Beaulieu, in terms of being someone the Habs can get good service out of, and maybe just what the defense needs long term....

I am being a bit harsh on Nate the Great and really do hope he can put it all together and trains hard this summer.

He can just skate and handle puck so darn well, it is tantalizing what he might become.

That's a silly stat to use. First of all, obviously the guys who scored more points are more likely to make it. Not all defensemen who score a lot of points are small, for one thing. Secondly, the guys who are smaller and don't score a lot of points are far less likely to be drafted. .5 points per game average isn't very remarkable for a CHL defensenman. It all depends on power play time. Generally a bigger defenseman will see less PP time because he is used for PK and shutting down the oppositions top line. Shea Weber had less than 20 points his draft year. Zdeno Chara had 22 points in the WHL the year after he was drafted. In the case of Brett Lernout, he scored more points at even strength than his partner Brycen Martin, but Martin piled up a load of points on the PP and had about double the production overall. ButMartin would be terrible on the PK, so that is what Lernout played.

The study only looked at the guys who were drafted.

Here are some good links. And yes.... Chara was a low scorer in junior. Exceptions to the rule happen, and as a 6'9" player Chara is an exception to many rules.

Generally speaking you the odds are better betting on the guys who score in junior than guys who dont.

Getting a chara is the equivalent of having 18 on the blackjack table, the dealer is showing a 6, and you hit. Sure once in a while you get a 3 out of the deck, but its not likely.

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2013/06/defense-defensemen-and-draft.html

http://thats-offside.blogspot.ca/2013/06/defending-defenseman-post.html

How good can Jeremy Gregoire become? I was checking stats on our later drafted players and noticed him going from 32 points when we drafted him to leading his team with 69 points the year after draft and 23 points in 22 playoff games.

Gregoire, still an 18 year old, was invited to Can World Junior camp this summer, but long shot to fill a bottom six role no doubt.

Gregoire has had back to back solid playoff performances and will be interesting to see how he does next year, will he keep improving and rip it up in the Q, or put up similar #s as this year.

I think he is similar to Vail (who was just let go) and a 2 way centre? But have seen very little of his play, just guess.

Gregoire, still an 18 year old, was invited to Can World Junior camp this summer, but long shot to fill a bottom six role no doubt.

Gregoire has had back to back solid playoff performances and will be interesting to see how he does next year, will he keep improving and rip it up in the Q, or put up similar #s as this year.

I think he is similar to Vail (who was just let go) and a 2 way centre? But have seen very little of his play, just guess.

He's grittier than Vail but there are some similarities.

Well, in the fall I suggested 80 points/100PIMs for Gregoire, which you rightly said 80points "would be a shocker."

But >1PPG (in both reg season & playoffs) with 69points and 84PIMs, still a nice year and maybe this year he can hit my wishful thinking 80point target?

And again he was almost youngest kid in draft, so am pulling for him to continue to improve.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker