Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

Well, in the fall I suggested 80 points/100PIMs for Gregoire, which you rightly said 80points "would be a shocker."

But >1PPG (in both reg season & playoffs) with 69points and 84PIMs, still a nice year and maybe this year he can hit my wishful thinking 80point target?

And again he was almost youngest kid in draft, so am pulling for him to continue to improve.

80 points this year should be achievable. A good chunk of the core should be back and Gregoire should be a front liner. If he were to make Canada's WJC squad though, 80 points would be out the window as he'd miss too much time.

I saw list of invites and seemed like a lot of higher profile names than Gregoire, I didn't figure out how many 'locks' there are but odds must be slim he makes Canada team.

I know will depend on how his first 1/4 of season goes and how many bottom six forwards fit better than he does.

Watched the replay of 2009 WJC game and seems were one pile of players who never developed into NHLers.

I wonder what % of Team Canada juniors typically make it in NHL? about 50%?

I wonder what % of Team Canada juniors typically make it in NHL? about 50%?

It varies year to year but a large portion do make it. You sometimes have teams like 2008 where many of the players became superstars and then you have 2003 where a lot of guys made the NHL but they were like Gregory Campbell, Brendan Bell and Jordin Tootoo. When Joffrey Lupul is the most talented player to make the NHL on your squad there's problems.

I think 11 guys from 2009 made the NHL if you count Dustin Tokarski. Funny you mention that team. Patrice Cormier was supposed to be this big QMJHL superstar that the Habs were "totally gonna draft in the second round if it wasn't for the Devils" that some guys on another board ranted and raved about. People called him the next Paul Stastny, that guy drafted in the second round who was gonna be one of the best of the draft. Just wouldn't shut up about the kid with average numbers but good center size. He's barely an NHLer on Winnipeg now. Funny when you look back.

Well should be interesting to hear how Tim Bozon does next week, in U-23 for France, in 1st game back since illness (is a good Bozon write up on NHL.com).

Well should be interesting to hear how Tim Bozon does next week, in U-23 for France, in 1st game back since illness (is a good Bozon write up on NHL.com).

His first game is about an hour away against HC Dukla Jihlava. I suspect he's going to be eased into things.

World Junior training camps are getting underway. Lehkonen won't be playing for the Finns in their summer tournament due to an illness. This apparently is what held him out of on-ice drills at the development camp.

Some stats from the players at WJC camps playing in summer games so far:

Reway: 0 points in 3 games

McCarron: 0 points in 2 games

de la Rose: 0 points in 1 game

On the plus side, they can only go up from there...

Bozon and the France U23 team will be playing tomorrow as well.

What are they stupid?

Why wouldnt they want a slow developing kid who idolizes Lucic? Maybe just politics, cause he skipped out on NCAA?

McCarron wasn't even invited last year was he? LIke Tinordi after he skipped on Notre Dame, cept was in his draft year, not 2nd yr CHL.

245lb Bust!! :wall:

Well maybe Bergevin/Molson learned their lesson and you don't draft primarily based on physical dimensions.

Minny seemed to make same goof up this year with Alex Tuch, but some other dumb GM would of jumped on him, because of his size & elevated stats playing on a line with Eichel/Milano.

McCarron wasn't even invited last year was he? LIke Tinordi after he skipped on Notre Dame, cept was in his draft year, not 2nd yr CHL.

McCarron was at the summer tournament last year. He had at least a couple of points there as well.

On Hab prospect list ranking, where would you place him? Maybe not even above Crisp eh?

Of course hope for the best, but do not get a good feeling that he will ever even see a reg season NHL game?

On Hab prospect list ranking, where would you place him? Maybe not even above Crisp eh?

Of course hope for the best, but do not get a good feeling that he will ever even see a reg season NHL game?

I haven't even really thought about the list yet, I'll probably start pondering that in the next couple of weeks. I suspect McCarron will be voted into the top-10 (all HW writers vote for that) though since he's only a year removed from being a 1st rounder. If he doesn't, I'd still have him ahead of Crisp. I'm not as down on McCarron as most, I think he could still be a good third liner/PP screen guy that tips in some point shots. There isn't much upside with Crisp, it's 4th line or bust. I wouldn't say that's the case (yet) with McCarron so he gets the edge on upside.

Sorry just see a Tim Conboy/Ian Shultz type in McCarron and we all have seen him play lots and he shows a bit here and there, but mostly just non-smart, ineffective play and continuous tackling or goading guys to get them to fight.

If he just stuck to playing Hockey I would be a bit more hopeful, but he seems to have that childish goon mentality and legendary cheap shot artist Dale Hunter likely isn't gonna help fix that.

But he is a teenager (and acts like it) so who knows.

And I see Crisp as more a bigger Moan/Prust type (based on little, just gut).

How do see Hudon's 1st pro season going? As well as Andrighetto?

Do you have a favourite out of Bennett/Thrower/Dietz to have a nice season? Bennett should be more mature and stronger, just not as 'abrasive'.

Sorry just see a Tim Conboy/Ian Shultz type in McCarron and we all have seen him play lots and he shows a bit here and there, but mostly just non-smart, ineffective play and continuous tackling or goading guys to get them to fight.

If he just stuck to playing Hockey I would be a bit more hopeful, but he seems to have that childish goon mentality and legendary cheap shot artist Dale Hunter likely isn't gonna help fix that.

But he is a teenager (and acts like it) so who knows.

And I see Crisp as more a bigger Moan/Prust type (based on little, just gut).

How do see Hudon's 1st pro season going? As well as Andrighetto?

Do you have a favourite out of Bennett/Thrower/Dietz to have a nice season? Bennett should be more mature and stronger, just not as 'abrasive'.

We'll know more about McCarron after this coming season. He now has gone through a full campaign of major junior and knows where he needs to be conditioning wise (apparently this wasn't very good last year). I also expect he'll have more chances to produce offensively. Even if he doesn't though, he strikes me as someone who will do well when he's with good players as a complementary piece. He's going to be the guy who does the dirty work to make a line successful.

I expect Hudon will mimic Bournival somewhat. He's going to be expected to produce but that's not realistic right off the bat. I also could see him making noise at training camp, much like Bournival did last year (and as a 19 year old). Hockey sense is an under appreciated attribute and he has it. I fear Andrighetto will disappoint many. Expectations have done a complete 180, they were a bit low before and now are way too high. My guess is his point total will be in the same area as last season. (If he continues the trend of the Lefebvre second year curse, that number may go lower.)

Bennett has long been a darkhorse of mine. I think he'll get the chance right away to step in and be a top-4 guy that plays on both special teams units. Thrower may also get that chance but will need to be in the ECHL for that to happen. Dietz ideally should be on the 3rd pairing to start with a chance to move up if he plays well. He got on Lefebvre's bad list last year and we've seen before that once you get on there, it's really hard to get out (see Leblanc, Nattinen, Holland, and Ellis).

I honestly wouldn't put him top 10

In no particular order...

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Fucale, De la Rose, Andrighetto, Pateryn, Bozon, Hudon,

Theres ten better prospects right now.

I honestly wouldn't put him top 10

In no particular order...

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Fucale, De la Rose, Andrighetto, Pateryn, Bozon, Hudon,

Theres ten better prospects right now.

While I don't share your pessimism, I do feel Sekac would crack a top 5 prospects list for the Habs over Lehkonen. That said, you probably just forgot him.

While I don't share your pessimism, I do feel Sekac would crack a top 5 prospects list for the Habs over Lehkonen. That said, you probably just forgot him.

I just did the first ten off the top of my head, yes Sekac should be in the top 10. Not over lehkonen, the weakest of the guys I picked is likely Bozon (due to question marks because of what that illness did to him) or Hudon (injury issues are becoming an issue, seems to pick up something new every year).

Lehkonen I'd likely have around 6 or 7.

Last night, Fucale pitched a shutout (9 saves) in his half of the Canada-Czech game. Gregoire didn't play then but is in tonight.

Nicolas Koberstein is leaving the AJHL to go to Sioux Falls of the USHL. That still allows him to go to college after next season but the USHL should provide a better level of competition.

Michael Cichy signed a contract...not with the Habs though, with Florida of the ECHL. There's even more evidence that the Habs won't sign him by next Friday's deadline.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker