2011-12 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Oh yeah, guess I should've done this a few days ago...highlights of the season so far include:

- Numbering on both the front and back of the helmets (most seem to hate it but I don't mind it).

- Ex-Habs failing to crack the opening night lineup of their new teams (Pouliot - BOS, Picard - PIT (he actually was waived), Pyatt - TB).

- Speaking of those being scratched on opening night, the great and wondrous Zenon Konopka, the guy that nearly everyone wanted on the Habs...was benched by the team most have pegged to finish last in the East (Ottawa).

- Boston celebrated their Cup victory...and then went and lost their home opener. That brought a smirk to my face.

- Don Cherry started a controversy...before the first Saturday game of the season, that might be a new record for him.

- Tomas Vokoun isn't getting the opening night start for the Caps. His agent, Allan Walsh, predictably is going overboard with his public commentary. To use Walsh's comment for a moment, I'm not sure what the biggest slap in the face to Vokoun is: The fact he's not starting on opening night, or the fact the best deal Walsh could get him entailed a $4.8 million pay cut from last year's salary while the likes of Mike Smith, who cleared demotion and re-entry waivers, got more years and money than he did.

- Tomas Vokoun isn't getting the opening night start for the Caps. His agent, Allan Walsh, predictably is going overboard with his public commentary. To use Walsh's comment for a moment, I'm not sure what the biggest slap in the face to Vokoun is: The fact he's not starting on opening night, or the fact the best deal Walsh could get him entailed a $4.8 million pay cut from last year's salary while the likes of Mike Smith, who cleared demotion and re-entry waivers, got more years and money than he did.

Ouch... that is really harsh

Michael Deutsch was Vokoun's agent on July 1st, he was fired and replaced with Walsh a few weeks later because of what happened.

I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out. I still think Walsh is a nut job though. It's game 1, no need to start a goalie controversy already...like he did in Montreal with the pot shots at Price a couple years back.

What controversy did Don Cherry start, Brian?

The whole issue with calling out Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson, and Jim Thomson for allegedly linking fighting to the suicides from earlier this offseason. Since then, Cherry went on radio to defend himself with those accused were on OTR to tell their side...as well as various radio stations. CBC also released a statement distancing themselves from his commentary in that episode.

- Numbering on both the front and back of the helmets (most seem to hate it but I don't mind it).

When I first saw the photos, I didn't like it. Having seen them in action, though, I honestly don't even notice them. Do you need to have a 60 inch screen or something to be able to really see them? haha

i heard its for the american tv camera guys, so they can identify guys on the bench.

when a producer says, "get me a shot of ______ on the bench" some of the camera guys didn't know the faces well enough.

So now they can just say, "get me a shot of #32 on the bench" and the number is on the front of the helmet, so you can find them.

I find it's useful when you see a player down and you're trying to figure out who it is. That's come in handy a couple times already for me, especially in the European games where the cameras weren't that good to begin with.

Another day, another outlandish Allan Walsh comment, calling Shanahan's system shameful while the disciplinary hearings are 'kangaroo courts'. This is in response to a two game suspension handed out to P-M Bouchard. I thought the suspension was a little harsh myself but if a two game suspension warrants that type of response, he's setting the rant bar much too high for himself. Heck, I'd be content without seeing another rant from him all season...but that would be asking too much for someone clearly starved for attention.

Another day, another outlandish Allan Walsh comment, calling Shanahan's system shameful while the disciplinary hearings are 'kangaroo courts'. This is in response to a two game suspension handed out to P-M Bouchard. I thought the suspension was a little harsh myself but if a two game suspension warrants that type of response, he's setting the rant bar much too high for himself. Heck, I'd be content without seeing another rant from him all season...but that would be asking too much for someone clearly starved for attention.

I saw that too... I am sorry, if you hit a guy in the face with your stick on a face off... there is no way that could be an accident unless you got amnesia and forgot how to hold a stick on the last play.

So players/coaches/GM's etc speak out/criticize and are fined...........Why aren't agents?

Agents don't work for the league or one of its member clubs.

They have no contract with the NHL, and they can't as it would be a conflict of interest.

Therefore they aren't subject to any of the NHL's professional conduct standards or policies which is what coaches, players, and GMs are fined under.

The group that monitors agents is the NHLPA, and they aren't fining anyone for this.

A couple things on McKenzie's twitter account just now

- Re-alignment will be decided in early December

- Many governors are convinced it will be Detroit moving to the East, specifically the SE. Re-alignment could be as simple as Detroit and Winnipeg swapping divisions.

A couple things on McKenzie's twitter account just now

- Re-alignment will be decided in early December

- Many governors are convinced it will be Detroit moving to the East, specifically the SE. Re-alignment could be as simple as Detroit and Winnipeg swapping divisions.

I'd rather swap Nashville.... much closer to the South East division geographically (only ~100 miles west of where Atlanta used to be).

For those of you counting the days before Rick DiPietro got hurt again, the final count is at 8 days. He took a shot off the head in practice and was undergoing tests today to see if he has a concussion as a result. Isles fans can rejoice knowing there's only one more yea...I mean decade left in that contract.

For those of you counting the days before Rick DiPietro got hurt again, the final count is at 8 days. He took a shot off the head in practice and was undergoing tests today to see if he has a concussion as a result. Isles fans can rejoice knowing there's only one more yea...I mean decade left in that contract.

Oh wow... Man that is so brutal! I wonder if he will ever play more then 20 games?

Also, Brian Campbell already have 6 assists including a 3 pts night tonight (game's not over yet).

Could it be a return for him ?

There was a reason he got signed for that mega contract

Also, Brian Campbell already has 6 assists including a 3 pts night tonight (game's not over yet).

Could it be a return for him ?

Ended up with 4 assists. Getting more ice-time (especially on the PP) has helped his cause significantly.