2011-12 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Just watched some of the late game, I never do. Is it wrong to sorta, kinda, just a little bit, be an Oiler fan?

It is an exciting team to watch, I for one can't blame you

Just watched some of the late game, I never do. Is it wrong to sorta, kinda, just a little bit, be an Oiler fan?

I lost pretty much all the respect I had for them a few years ago. I simply hate tanking teams.

Lost respect for Caps - Pens - Hawks - Islanders as well...

Blake Comeau and Bergfors on waivers today.

Bergfors is actually on buyout waivers, having cleared regular waivers yesterday. I'd be shocked if he got claimed this time as the difference is only a few thousand dollars in the actual cost. He's KHL bound apparently.

As for Comeau, he is currently behind Carey Price in the NHL scoring race. I'm not sure what happened to him but he has been awful this year and with a cap hit of $2.5, I don't think there will be too many teams lining up to get him.

Bergfors is actually on buyout waivers, having cleared regular waivers yesterday. I'd be shocked if he got claimed this time as the difference is only a few thousand dollars in the actual cost. He's KHL bound apparently.

As for Comeau, he is currently behind Carey Price in the NHL scoring race. I'm not sure what happened to him but he has been awful this year and with a cap hit of $2.5, I don't think there will be too many teams lining up to get him.

He was on my fantasy team till last week :(

He's also -11 in 16 games... thats bad even for the Isles.

Quick news and notes:

- Bobby Ryan's off the trade block and his trade request has been rescinded.

- Roman Hamrlik's a healthy scratch with the Caps tonight, Hunter making a noteworthy statement already.

- There are rumours that Antti Miettinen will be signing with an NHL team before long after getting his release from his KHL team.

'El Loudmouth' (aka Allan Walsh) strikes again, this time in support of Derick Brassard. Here is what he said:

"While I have tremendous respect for Howson and rest of Columbus' management team, the situation regarding Brassard has become untenable. This coach has a history of burying players and using them as scapegoats to mask his own lack of success on the ice. Derick has been singled out, almost from the very beginning of the season to be the fall guy in case things don't go well."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381740

Brassard has been a scratch in now I believe 7 of the last 10 games. He hasn't scored since October 21st (11 straight games without a goal) and is a -11 on the season in 18 games. He also is barely averaging a shot on goal per game (20 total) while winning a whopping 43% of his faceoffs (for those unfamiliar with him, he is a centre). All that can be blamed on the coach? I'm no Scott Arniel fan but it seems to me that the benching is more than justified. Before anyone asks, his cap hit is $3.2 million.

'El Loudmouth' (aka Allan Walsh) strikes again, this time in support of Derick Brassard. Here is what he said:

"While I have tremendous respect for Howson and rest of Columbus' management team, the situation regarding Brassard has become untenable. This coach has a history of burying players and using them as scapegoats to mask his own lack of success on the ice. Derick has been singled out, almost from the very beginning of the season to be the fall guy in case things don't go well."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381740

Brassard has been a scratch in now I believe 7 of the last 10 games. He hasn't scored since October 21st (11 straight games without a goal) and is a -11 on the season in 18 games. He also is barely averaging a shot on goal per game (20 total) while winning a whopping 43% of his faceoffs (for those unfamiliar with him, he is a centre). All that can be blamed on the coach? I'm no Scott Arniel fan but it seems to me that the benching is more than justified. Before anyone asks, his cap hit is $3.2 million.

Martin and Eller? *snicker*

The NHL Board of Governors votes to switch to a new, 4 conference format for next season. The proposal had two rounds of divisional (conference-based) playoffs too, not sure if that was ratified as well.

Any idea on how many voted against?

Sure there is, Eller seems to be the scapegoat for whatever ills Martin.  No matter the issue with the Habs, Eller is quasi-benched!

A third liner who has played all 25 games since returning from his season starting injury and averaging almost 15 minutes a game, is regularly quasi-benched?

Any idea on how many voted against?

26-4 in favour.

I am guessing Winny, Tampa, Florida. Not sure who else.

Why Florida and Tampa? They really benefit from playing us... aka they may have people in their stands... :P

Why Florida and Tampa? They really benefit from playing us... aka they may have people in their stands... :P

We're only 1 team. They have to travel WAY more now.

We're only 1 team. They have to travel WAY more now.

And Toronto draws just as well as we do.

And Boston and Ottawa draw decent, but less than us.

1 or 2 home games vs Toronto and Montreal makes up for all the travel costs. Cost of 1 extra hour in the air is not that significant compared to 2-3 million per game. They'd have to fly anyway.