Injury news

Commandant

Bets....what is more likely to occur?

1) Markov has an immediate impact on the PP and leads the team to the playoffs.

2) Markov takes too long to truly regain his form and Montreal finishes outside the playoffs.

3) Markov re-aggravates the injury and Montreal acquires X player to fill the void to lead the team to the playoffs

4) markov re-aggravtes the injury and Montreal stays the course with their young D-men and finish outside the playoffs.

1), and I'll raise the bet: Markov leads the team to the top of the division. Toronto is only 6 points ahead, and the season is young.

4 goals, 5 assists, +10 with 2 fighting majors

Probably.

But seriously, a healthy Markov makes a huge difference for this team. I still think their chances of making the playoffs are well above 50%.

Having a Markov at 80% will help this team greatly, let alone a fully healthy Markov. Ever since he went down the first time, our defense has been patched together to try to fill his void. I think management and the players have done a great job at doing so. But when he was hurt, he was THE best and most important skater that we had. I don't know what the statistics were, but the Habs winning % was much higher when he was in the lineup. Suddenly our powerplay becomes dangerous, and on a team that relies on special teams to win games, that is critical. Having arguably a top 10 defense man inserted into any lineup will bolster the strength of that team. It's almost like we are making a blockbuster trade without giving up anything. I have been dreaming about his return for what seems like an eternity now, and am very excited to watch everything unfold.

Excellent. Well said.

If he gets reinjured Im up for blowing the team up and rebuild. Price, Pacioretty and Subban are good blocks for a rebuild and Plekanec isnt that old yet either.

If he is close to as good as he was before I say go for the top.

As much as I hate Jacques Martin's passive aggresive style, you're absolutely right about the Markov thing. It's not like Martin has had Markov around for many games since he was named Head coach!

Maybe they will clash and our whole season will go up in smoke!!!

:scared:

Realistically, I expect Markov to look solid the first night, less so his second game, then struggle for a handful. At about the 10-game mark, his game will start improving exponentially, and that's when the points will come - particularly at even strength. Yes, he should help a woeful, Plekanec-disinspired power play, but his larger contributions will come when he's in game shape and using his 25+ minutes to lead the team.

Realistically, I expect Markov to look solid the first night, less so his second game, then struggle for a handful. At about the 10-game mark, his game will start improving exponentially, and that's when the points will come - particularly at even strength. Yes, he should help a woeful, Plekanec-disinspired power play, but his larger contributions will come when he's in game shape and using his 25+ minutes to lead the team.

Bang on sir!

This is great news. I expect that Markov will start slowly (not more than 15-16 minutes in his first few games). If he can stay healthy he will help out many aspects of our game (getting the puck out of our zone, the Power-play,etc...)

Still no confirmation that he'll play. I guess the question is does he play tonight, take tomorrow off and then play against LA?

Again I know he was given the green light and I know we cannot afford to keep him out of the line-up but I would be more inclined to keep him out these 3 games and then start him in Montreal against Columbus.

An extra week of conditioning may make a world of difference

Still no confirmation that he'll play. I guess the question is does he play tonight, take tomorrow off and then play against LA?

Again I know he was given the green light and I know we cannot afford to keep him out of the line-up but I would be more inclined to keep him out these 3 games and then start him in Montreal against Columbus.

An extra week of conditioning may make a world of difference

On the flip side, after such a long absence, one has to wonder if his conditionning has taken him as far as it will go. At one point, he will need to be thrown into the fire and with the team on a rough California stretch (which, if memory serves, is a trip the team typically struggles on), this seems like a good a time as any.

hats what I worry about.....starting in the most physical time.....Martin said it himself that they have had limited up tempo practice time so throwing him into the fire may be a recipe for disaster. Guess there is just hesitation because if this fails then we are screwed.

What is Markov made out of glass? If he is given the ok by the Dr's and he says he is ready throw him in there. His 2nd injury was a fluke hit. He has the same chance of being injured in any game he plays in.

I would be carefull with back to back games perhaps, otherwise get in there and play.

I don't expect a whole lot from Markov if the reports are correct. Starting on 3rd defensive pair with Emelin. I hope the reports are true because if he hasn't had any "hard practices," I'd want to ease him back, limiting his ice-time to PP and 3rd defensive pair only. We have some solid defensemen for the PK in Subban, Gill, Emelin, and Gorges so there's no need to rush Markov to big minutes.

My guess on whats going to happen is:

1) Markov has an immediate impact on the PP and leads the team to the playoffs, but quickly slows down and they just squeek into the playoffs.

I suspect the reason he went with the club out west is because there's the perception that the Western teams are more speed-based, and less physical. My guess is that he doesn't play tonight, but rather suits up tomorrow (isn't it back-to-back - which may be too much to start) and then Saturday afternoon. At least that eases him a little more into the lineup, rather than potentially overdoing it. Of course, I can see the club waiting until Saturday as well, allowing him to travel and practice with the team on Friday to ensure things are looking good.

What is Markov made out of glass? If he is given the ok by the Dr's and he says he is ready throw him in there. His 2nd injury was a fluke hit. He has the same chance of being injured in any game he plays in.

I would be carefull with back to back games perhaps, otherwise get in there and play.

Unfortunately that's not true. One of the key components to recovery as far as I can read is to surround the effected area with muscle, essentially strengthening the tissues. So the longer you rehab that area, the better protected it becomes.

Obviously there is a chance he can be injured any game and certainly he has been given the green light to play but the longer he waits the less risk.

I have not hide that I am hesitant to start him but on the flip side if there is a problem then I want to know ASAP so that we can work at rectifying that issue via LTIR.

Unfortunately that's not true. One of the key components to recovery as far as I can read is to surround the effected area with muscle, essentially strengthening the tissues. So the longer you rehab that area, the better protected it becomes.

Obviously there is a chance he can be injured any game and certainly he has been given the green light to play but the longer he waits the less risk.

I have not hide that I am hesitant to start him but on the flip side if there is a problem then I want to know ASAP so that we can work at rectifying that issue via LTIR.

incorrect... the break down of the patella tendon to an actual ligament (ligamentization) happens around weeks 8-10. its when the knee is at its most vulnerable post OP.. bone growth around the buttons (screws) inside the femer and fibula happen soon there after. by weeks 32 the knee has been transitioned. his first surgery was a failure as the cadaver (dead person's Achilles tendon) clearly did not take! not to mention his rushing back after 5+ months post OP

Andrei Markov's knee will not get any better over the next 3 days.. his atrophy (muscle loss) was back ion's ago as the muscle's memory easily comes back (especially with all the training he's had).. you don't forget how to ride a bike and your muscles dont forget how big they were. his knee cap needs some stability which takes more time (also causes water retention)

he was ready to play a month ago most likely after all the testing in Florida was completed. they've waited it out a little longer to make sure and now will insert him in the line up as far away from MTL as possible (similar for LeBlanc who got zero action pre season due to shoulder recovery)

in the mean time we've gotten a great look at our defense without him and look for markov to play 15-16 minutes tonight guaranteed all short shifts.. obviously those minutes will increase if we get a boat load of powerplays. he'll be playing 20+ by game 3!

welcome back andrei the giant!!! youve been missed

I also believe that he has been ready for quite some time. There comes a time, though, when you have to give it a go. This time has come.