Injury news

Commandant

From what I read about today's Gauthier presser, Gionta will be the next to come back, everyone is due to return before Markov as well (after the ASB).

So Markov is definitely out until February at the very least? I haven't seen any updates on his status for weeks... This would certainly be bad news for both my fantasy team and the habs!

With Gionta returning and White really not that far away how do you see the lines of this team going forward? I personally have see Cunneyworth depend on Eller moreso than Desharnais so think he is going to secure himself as a 2nd line center. The quesion for me is therefore do we separate Moen from that line or keep it intact?

For me barring a trade it's basically going to be how most had the lines looking at the beginnign of the year, as follows:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Desharnais/Gomez-Gionta

Moen-Eller-Kostitsyn

Darche-Nokelainen-White

Blunden

Blunden probably gets sent down, and Desharnais converted to wing IMO.

Unless there are more injuries, which is possible. And the selling of guys like Kostitsyn, Moen, could begin in February if we don't have a monster month of January.

Blunden seems to be in the good books of Cunneyworth as well. He played almost the same amount of minutes last night as Cammalleri. I'm hoping he sticks because he is a big body out there who can really skate. Ideal 13th forward.

I like Blunden last night. He was all over the place and had some offensive chances as well. I like seeing guys like him on that 4th instead of people like Leblanc, Gomez, Weber.

Plekanec didn't have a strong game last night either but Cammalleri has now scored 3 goals in his past 4 games so maybe he has finally woke up.

Yes, i like a good physical 4th line. He played well. I think there is something to be said for a 4th line who gets the puck deep, punds the other teams defense and plays 6-10 minutes a night. The habs need consistant line like that.

Hopefully Cammy picks it more and gets dealt for a 1st rounder plus.

Yes, i like a good physical 4th line. He played well. I think there is something to be said for a 4th line who gets the puck deep, punds the other teams defense and plays 6-10 minutes a night. The habs need consistant line like that.

Hopefully Cammy picks it more and gets dealt for a 1st rounder plus.

I am on that page as well. I was against he Cammalleri deal when he was signed and hope he is finally sent packing. I would really like to see Anaheim be our target and do our best to get Getzlaf. And am talking a serious package to get him here.

Will be interesting to see when Markov does indeed come back Super bowl weekend maybe?

Anyways I think the best decision might be to shut him down for the year no need to bring him back and patch the sinking ship, how awful would it be if the Habs were in 28th in the league when he came back and his play bumps them to 23rd.

I would much rather play and LOSE with the kids.

I think Markov has to play a little, even if just for 4-5 weeks in March/April just to show we can rely on him next season.

Normally I'd say shut a vet down early... but I don't like the idea of going into next season counting on him, when he'll have played 7 games in two years.

I think Markov has to play a little, even if just for 4-5 weeks in March/April just to show we can rely on him next season.

Normally I'd say shut a vet down early... but I don't like the idea of going into next season counting on him, when he'll have played 7 games in two years.

That makes sense but it wont be much better than 22 games in 2 years.

I guess we can now potentially add Alexei Emelin to that list after the injury he suffered today at practice?

Reports suggest he'll be good to go tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see him with a cage though.

Reports suggest he'll be good to go tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised to see him with a cage though.

Good I hope he still lays the hammer.

Bolts will be after him from that hit on Marty last week.

Emelin skating with the full cage too.

I don't think Cammalleri has been 100% since before the 2nd game of the season. People have criticized him a lot, but his skating has never looked right to me... its been laboured all year.

If they trade both of those guys away today to contenders and come home with 2 first rounders even low ones I will be ELATED!

I agree re: Kostitysn, but a 20th overall pick is pathetic value for Cammalleri.

I agree re: Kostitysn, but a 20th overall pick is pathetic value for Cammalleri.

Because he is signed long term?

I hope he just turns the corner or heals or whatever and becomes a ppg player but his year this year is just hard to watch.

Because he is signed long term?

I hope he just turns the corner or heals or whatever and becomes a ppg player but his year this year is just hard to watch.

Oh, I agree that he has stunk out the joint this season. But I also think that it's silly to throw away a player based on one bad season, let alone 35 games. It reminds me of when Habs fans were happy to ride Recchi out of town (which Houle proceeded to do) because he had foolishly tried to play through pnuemonia and consequently had a horrific half-season in 1998-99. You have to look at the bigger picture. Cammy has proven that he can produce at an elite level in the NHL. If you look at his career stats, you see that when he has been healthy, as he was in 06-07 and 08-09, he is easily a 30-goal scorer and a PPG player. He does struggle with injuries, though his first year with us had him again on a pace for 30+ goals. He is also deadly playoff performer.

I think Cammalleri's time with us has been marred by his obvious dislike of Jacques Martin's system. It's telling that the gung-ho positive energy he projected in his first season here evaporated after the pro-Martin camp led by Gill and Gorges had clearly carried the day. He has also been hurt by injuries, as noted above, and also by the loss of Markov, whose power-play skills were a major reason he came here in the first place. He himself says his game thrives on a good puck-distributor on the PP (although now that Kaberle is here that excuse has run out).

True, his defensive game is questionable and his physical play non-existent. But that is fairly typical of goal-scorers. If you're looking for a complementary player of the 'sniper' variety, Cammy remains an elite player of his type. If you can't get more than a lower first-rounder for him then you're probably better off keeping him around. He is certainly as good or better than a 20th-overall pick is likely to be.

• Upvote 1