Injury news

Commandant

shoot!

Holloway has been friggin carrying IceCaps and am curious to see how he stacks up vs NHL competition, but Rangers will be a tough opponent and hopefully another goalie duel, of course wilh Carey getting the W.

Are injuries sometimes "good"? As Gallagher will get +/-15 games off and not get beat to a pulp every game in front of nets, might it be good for him once April to June season starts?

And Habs sit at 99.7% chance of making playoffs, so is a good opportunity for testing prospects?

One good thing is that Gallagher's overall play is very unlikely to change one bit due to this injury, other than rust in his first few games back of course.

Are injuries sometimes "good"? As Gallagher will get +/-15 games off and not get beat to a pulp every game in front of nets, might it be good for him once April to June season starts?

And Habs sit at 99.7% chance of making playoffs, so is a good opportunity for testing prospects?

One good thing is that Gallagher's overall play is very unlikely to change one bit due to this injury, other than rust in his first few games back of course.

A philosophical approach. I likes it.

We're also about to find out just how dependent we are on any one player. If we can keep rolling in Gally's absence, that will say a lot about our team resiliency and depth. This is also good to know in time for the playoffs, when you may suffer inconvenient injuries.

Quite a few posts lately that mention Kassian. It's understandable, but having seen his act in Vancouver, I can only continue to emphasize: do not put your hopes in Kassian. Anything he gives us should be viewed as 100% gravy, a gift from the skies. He has never, ever been a reliably player in his NHL career. Not once.

I want more info on Kassian. I know re Hab doesn't really have a time table, but he has to be getting close

There seems to be zero info on Kassian, or anyone else going through that program bud...

I agree, and although I am not putting any/too much stock in Kassian, I am hoping the Habs are going to give him a second chance, and I would like to see what an inspired, clean and sober Kassian could do with that chance.

He has the size, hands and speed to make a difference on this club.

I want more info on Kassian. I know re Hab doesn't really have a time table, but he has to be getting close

Most rehabs if the guy has got it bad are three months. I suspect we will be hearing news one way or another end of December. Right now no news is good news.

Who knows, maybe a clean Kassian is a beast. He can't be any worse off after this.

I would say odds are that a totally clean Kassian would be a better player than a party animal Kassian. The only questions are how much of a better player would he be and can he stay clean?

I would say odds are that a totally clean Kassian would be a better player than a party animal Kassian. The only questions are how much of a better player would he be and can he stay clean?

No question that being clean should help. But let's remember that 'being clean' is in no way a guarantee of consistency, discipline, and work ethic - all things that Kassian seems to have chronically lacked.

No question that being clean should help. But let's remember that 'being clean' is in no way a guarantee of consistency, discipline, and work ethic - all things that Kassian seems to have chronically lacked.

No, it's not a guarantee that he will now have those attributes, but those are things that can be affected by someone with addiction issues. My point is, IF he stays clean, we can almost safely assume he will be a better hockey player because of it. Someone that is out on the town all night has a different frame of mind than someone sober in bed early. You cannot be consistent if you are hungover every other day, you cannot be disciplined by definition if you are boozing it up in excess and the work ethic will not be comparable to a sober counterpart. Seemingly Kassian is the type of person who goes over the edge in terms of drinking and or drugs. There is no moderation or just having a few. It will be a difficult challenge for him travelling around the world with his teammates, who will be drinking and going out on occasion, it's all that he knows. He needs to be totally clean for it to work out for him and I hope for his sake that it does.

No, it's not a guarantee that he will now have those attributes, but those are things that can be affected by someone with addiction issues. My point is, IF he stays clean, we can almost safely assume he will be a better hockey player because of it. Someone that is out on the town all night has a different frame of mind than someone sober in bed early. You cannot be consistent if you are hungover every other day, you cannot be disciplined by definition if you are boozing it up in excess and the work ethic will not be comparable to a sober counterpart. Seemingly Kassian is the type of person who goes over the edge in terms of drinking and or drugs. There is no moderation or just having a few. It will be a difficult challenge for him travelling around the world with his teammates, who will be drinking and going out on occasion, it's all that he knows. He needs to be totally clean for it to work out for him and I hope for his sake that it does.

I think you're right on the money !

All true and good.

Fluery played better BEFORE he tried getting clean and sober. But that's Theo. One of a kind. ha!

I dont know anything about Kassians addiction or alcoholism. Or if he is in fact suffering from either. Fact that he is in rehab suggests he is. Although many "party animals" have did a stint in rehab simply to save their jobs or please the boss. However, if Kassian has been using booze and or drugs as a crutch and subsequently became addicted, when that crutch is gone the regular day to day activities will be rather awkward for spell. It's like the final and the biggest hang over of all. Once that clears up they are good to go. Kassian is early in a process of getting it all back on track. We are about to see what type of character Zack Kassian is really made of. I'm rooting for him!

I am worried about Price. If this is related to his last thing, this could be a tough year.

I believe they said it is related to the last injury. I think Condon's struggles his last few starts may have pushed his return back ever so slightly since Tokarski is not in game shape (he has played one period in the better part of a month).

Semin's hurt too as players are dropping left, right, and centre. That's also going to eat away at their cap space for a bit which could potentially hold up a trade.

There seems to be zero info on Kassian, or anyone else going through that program bud...

I agree, and although I am not putting any/too much stock in Kassian, I am hoping the Habs are going to give him a second chance, and I would like to see what an inspired, clean and sober Kassian could do with that chance.

He has the size, hands and speed to make a difference on this club.

There is no info on Kassian--or any other player in the SABH program-- because that is part of the terms of the agreement once a player goes into Stage 2 or beyond. We won't hear anything about Kassian until his doctors decide that he is ready to leave rehab. The physically injuries may be healed but there is no telling when, or if, Kassian will be mentally ready to play.

I hope the kid comes back and fills his power forward potential, but I am warily optimistic

There is no info on Kassian--or any other player in the SABH program-- because that is part of the terms of the agreement once a player goes into Stage 2 or beyond. We won't hear anything about Kassian until his doctors decide that he is ready to leave rehab. The physically injuries may be healed but there is no telling when, or if, Kassian will be mentally ready to play.

I hope the kid comes back and fills his power forward potential, but I am warily optimistic

I have nothing but the best wishes for his recovery as a human being. But our attitude toward him as a player should not be 'wary optimism' but rather 'contingent pessimism' IMHO. Of course we should be open to the hope that he does come back and start playing consistently well. But 'optimism' implies a belief that that is a reasonable hope. I rate it as unlikely given his track record of non-stop failure.

Reading a tweet from John Bartlett on the main page, Price is expected to miss at least a week. Boy, that sounds familiar. That would make it likely that he's heading for IR (which means the player has to miss 7 days).

It appears Semin is on IR as well.

Too bad no McCarron or Hudon. Thomas was terrible last year when he got the call

Hudon doesn't play the RW while they want McCarron at C. Thomas is next in line with Holloway and Andrighetto, their top two RW's already up. Let's hope no one else on that side goes down as the depth at that position is really thin now...

I also heard that Price will be out at least one week! Let's hope that it ain't too serious!

Too bad no McCarron or Hudon. Thomas was terrible last year when he got the call

There's no rush to bring McCarron up. Let him play alot of hockey and dominate the AHL for a year or two and then bring him up!

• Upvote 2