Injury news

Commandant

Guest Stogey24

Don't really like Flynn, but him, Mitchell, and Danault have a pretty solid cycle game down low. Be nice to see that back in action 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Don't really like Flynn, but him, Mitchell, and Danault have a pretty solid cycle game down low. Be nice to see that back in action 

Why don't you like him?

I'm a Flynn Mitchell danault fan. Absolutely love that 4th line. Flynn really helps with defensive faceoffs. Their speed makes them tough to contain in the cycle. They can play against any line. Smart defensive fast 4th line. 

17 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm a Flynn Mitchell danault fan. Absolutely love that 4th line. Flynn really helps with defensive faceoffs. Their speed makes them tough to contain in the cycle. They can play against any line. Smart defensive fast 4th line. 

Flynn gives an honest effort every game, is quick, good on faceoffs, can play on the PK, hands of stone around the net; but, is an affordable and experienced player.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Galchenuyk did injure the OTHER knee/leg, right ?  Not the same side as his junior injury ?

His Junior ACL surgery was his LEFT knee.

From the replay it appears this was his RIGHT knee though..but hard to tell from the angle of the video..

In any event.. There is probably swelling and needs to be Re examined when back in Montreal. He is out indefinitely at this stage. 

I suspect it's not an ACL but possibly a strain or some cartilage.. But he will probably be out for rest of December.  But that is just an educated guess.

Obviously can be less or worst case lots more in case of ACL

Here is a link showing the injury:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/alex-galchenyuk-leaves-game-injury-will-not-return/

at the start and again at the 30 second mark.

the commentator mentions a left leg injury but collision was right leg/knee

The fact it gave way without resistance tells me early that not necessarily an ACL tear.

but sure looks like a strain/sprain and cartilage issue.

all this plus the team being very quite and stating out imdefinelty plus more evalaution by team doctor is not a good sign... i am guessing its not an ACL..but still serious enough to be out until New Year

I hope you're right but I think you're dreaming if you think he'll only miss a month.

The way he pulled up he knew something was wrong, no update today is because of the swelling but based on what I've seen I say it's major and 10 weeks is best case Ontario. 

12 minutes ago, JMMR said:

I hope you're right but I think you're dreaming if you think he'll only miss a month.

The way he pulled up he knew something was wrong, no update today is because of the swelling but based on what I've seen I say it's major and 10 weeks is best case Ontario. 

I edited and added the video. trying to be optimistic. i have had lots of experience with sport knee injuries and my own torn ACL surgery.

the only positive from the replay is that there was no resistance. he quickly moved it up. if it had stayed planted or buckled thats an early sign of an ACL torn.

but its not right angle and an educated guess on my part.

very least he is out into New Year correct...

and now the team has the worst middle in the league..... hmmm radulov moves there?

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

1996-1997: Montreal Canadiens centre Saku Koivu in Top 10 scoring, gets injured.

2016-2017: Montreal Canadiens centre Alex Galchenyuk in Top 10 scoring...

Koivu was permanently damaged in that injury. He was a shadow of what he could have been, which was a top-5 NHL talent, a bona-fide superstar.

Don't forget:

Richard Zednik, leading playoff scorer, clothes-lined and put out for the playoffs, never the same thereafter

Donald Audette, career-ending injury almost immediately upon arrival in MTL

Andrei Markov: #1 defenceman, lost 2 1/2 seasons to disastrous knee injuries

Carey Price: a playoff drive and an entire season sacrificed due to severe injury

I think we've had some pretty BS luck to really crucial players over the past 20 years.

However, it's surely premature to jump to conclusions about Galy.

Hockey Gods: "Hey, the Canadiens main weakness last year was goaltending depth, right?"

Habs fans: "...ya..."

HG: "But they improved it this year, right?"

Hf: "...ya..."

HG: "Soooooooo what's their main weakness this season?"

Hf: "Why do you ask?"

HG: "No reason."

• Upvote 1

From what I saw from him after the collision he poped right back up and skated to the bench did some rotations and went to the dressing room. It didn't look like he was in a lot of pain, which I think he would of been had it been a really bad injury.

Hopefully nothing serious

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Hockey Gods: "Hey, the Canadiens main weakness last year was goaltending depth, right?"

Habs fans: "...ya..."

HG: "But they improved it this year, right?"

Hf: "...ya..."

HG: "Soooooooo what's their main weakness this season?"

Hf: "Why do you ask?"

HG: "No reason."

:lol:

The Habs had a run of about 50 years of supremacy (say, from about 1943 to about 1993). If the Hockey Gods are looking to even the score, then we have roughly another 27 years of painful hard-luck futility before they've extracted the price for our sublime dominance of most of the 20th century.:habslogo:

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Koivu was permanently damaged in that injury. He was a shadow of what he could have been, which was a top-5 NHL talent, a bona-fide superstar.

Don't forget:

Richard Zednik, leading playoff scorer, clothes-lined and put out for the playoffs, never the same thereafter

Donald Audette, career-ending injury almost immediately upon arrival in MTL

Andrei Markov: #1 defenceman, lost 2 1/2 seasons to disastrous knee injuries

Carey Price: a playoff drive and an entire season sacrificed due to severe injury

I think we've had some pretty BS luck to really crucial players over the past 20 years.

However, it's surely premature to jump to conclusions about Galy.

Robert Lang could have been something as well. 

Just now, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Robert Lang could have been something as well. 

Yeah, I tried to focus on injuries that ramified for several seasons...if you want to get more specific, then yes, Lang's injury sent the '09 team careening (he was hugely important to that group), and then there's Pacioretty - brutally assaulted and removed from our lineup, conveniently in time for us to lose a 7-game series in OT without our leading scorer :angry:

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I tried to focus on injuries that ramified for several seasons...if you want to get more specific, then yes, Lang's injury sent the '09 team careening (he was hugely important to that group), and then there's Pacioretty - brutally assaulted and removed from our lineup, conveniently in time for us to lose a 7-game series in OT without our leading scorer :angry:

Yeah I get that, but that incident was freakishly unlucky during a period where it really did seem to happen to us all too often. The check on Lang looked harmless but the blade caught him in the perfect spot to cause serious injury. 

The Pacioretty one feels a little different to me for whatever reason but it's probably because in my opinion Pacioretty continued to improve as a player afterward. 

1 hour ago, HabsWEST said:

and now the team has the worst middle in the league..... hmmm radulov moves there?

I don't think Radulov has ever played centre so I can't see them asking him to do so now.  Short-term, one of Danault or Shaw should move over with likely Desharnais moving back into the top six.

(By the way, Michael McCarron, who I'm sure many would like to see get a call despite a tough start to the season, is also hurt at the moment.  He's out for another few days at least.)

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think Radulov has ever played centre so I can't see them asking him to do so now.  Short-term, one of Danault or Shaw should move over with likely Desharnais moving back into the top six.

(By the way, Michael McCarron, who I'm sure many would like to see get a call despite a tough start to the season, is also hurt at the moment.  He's out for another few days at least.)

He played some time at Centre in the KHL. Not always, but there were periods he was put there. 

But yes, 

Patch - DD - Radulov
Lehk - Plek - Gallagher
Carr - Danault/Shaw - Shaw/Danault

seems likely. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Radulov played a little at Centre in Junior and also KHL but otherwise always a winger.

Found a slower motion video of injury posted on Twitter:

In slow motion.. Right knee..LCL ..does buckle ..NOT going to speculate now. Hoping for the best..fingers crossed..but hmmmm..wish it's short term. I do have lots of knee injury experience.. And I know what I am seeing here unfortunately.. At best it's a Strain/ Sprain..or little worse LCL and buckles to MCL second degree with some cartilage tear..still 2 to 3 months in average cases. But on this video it's not via observation an ACL at all..just by experience in these knee injuries for 25 plus years.

His leg wasn't planted and didn't totally buckle backwards..which would be an ACL if that was the case. ITS NOT THE CASE HERE..so that's the good news I am guessing.

Typically there isn't much pain. When I tore my ACL ..no pain..did have some pain with cartilage tear and MCL another time..

And I personally see athletes with discomfort but not severe pain like a sprain or break.

Well..its part of the game and today's advancements in medical surgery and recoveries regardless of severity he should be well recovered? Just needs time to heal and get back..in any event. 

Video is hard to judge and angles can be deceptive. I am giving speculation and an educated guess ONLY FYI