Injury news

Commandant

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Price placed on IR, supposedly just for roster purposes?

He had to be.  With Montoya staying on the active roster, they were at the max of 23 before Fucale's recall (3/7/13) so Price had to go on IR to free up the spot.  However, they can backdate it and since he last played more than a week ago, he can be activated at any time so it's not of any real concern.

Ales Hemsky and David Schlemko both skated today as well.

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Holy cow, I had completely forgotten Hemsky was even on the team. Ha!

That's okay, because based on his play this season, I am not sure Hemsky remembered he was on the team either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

That's okay, because based on his play this season, I am not sure Hemsky remembered he was on the team either.

A lesser man would have implicated the concussion in Hemsky's forgetfulness... I guess I'm that guy... :(

• Upvote 1

Long live Hemsky 

Looks like Price may have had a setback.  He's speaking to media soon, but not skating today or tomorrow.  Sounds ominous.  Hopefully not a long-term injury, although Lindgren playing so well certainly helps soften the potential blow (somewhat). 

1 hour ago, nhfarber said:

Looks like Price may have had a setback.  He's speaking to media soon, but not skating today or tomorrow.  Sounds ominous.  Hopefully not a long-term injury, although Lindgren playing so well certainly helps soften the potential blow (somewhat). 

He says his recovery has stagnated, so he's going to take a few days off from skating.  Says he shouldn't be out long.

Turns out the injury came from warm-up in that game against Minnesota.  He didn't really recognize that something was wrong until the next day.

13 minutes ago, lazy26 said:

He says his recovery has stagnated, so he's going to take a few days off from skating.  Says he shouldn't be out long.

Turns out the injury came from warm-up in that game against Minnesota.  He didn't really recognize that something was wrong until the next day.

Nice to hear.. now I can tell all the little paranoid voices in my head to climb back under the bed!

This wouldn't be a story if we hadn't had exactly the same kind of bafflegab about Price's injury in 2016. "He'll be back soon...oh, wait, it's taking a bit longer than expected...oh wait, HELLO BEN  SCRIVENS!!"

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This wouldn't be a story if we hadn't had exactly the same kind of bafflegab about Price's injury in 2016. "He'll be back soon...oh, wait, it's taking a bit longer than expected...oh wait, HELLO BEN  SCRIVENS!!"

The difference is that they didn't have a veteran like Montoya (who is concussed) and instead had the Condon/Tokarski combo.  Oh yeah and by the time Scrivens was acquired (and Tokarski sent packing) the team was already in a tailspin.

In this situation... Lindgren is playing great, but there is literally nothing behind him.  At least Tokarski had been a back up before.  In this case, we have no backup right now.  Zach Fucale is plain and simple, not an NHL goalie. 

So in the first situation... the goaltending is failing and its a desperate attempt to bolster it, knowing that Price is gone for a long time. 
Today... the goaltending we are getting is fine, but we are reaching the point where one more injury means a kid who was in the ECHL last year is going in net. 

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

The difference is that they didn't have a veteran like Montoya (who is concussed) and instead had the Condon/Tokarski combo.  Oh yeah and by the time Scrivens was acquired (and Tokarski sent packing) the team was already in a tailspin.

In this situation... Lindgren is playing great, but there is literally nothing behind him.  At least Tokarski had been a back up before.  In this case, we have no backup right now.  Zach Fucale is plain and simple, not an NHL goalie. 

So in the first situation... the goaltending is failing and its a desperate attempt to bolster it, knowing that Price is gone for a long time. 
Today... the goaltending we are getting is fine, but we are reaching the point where one more injury means a kid who was in the ECHL last year is going in net. 

Lindgren has been a godsend. I was speaking more about how the information about Price is extremely reminiscent of what we heard in 2016. I'm not saying that we're looking at a replay of 2016, just that, so far, it's playing out more or less the same. At this point fans can be forgiven for trusting neither Price's knee nor the 'information' the team supplies us about it.

Guest Stogey24
13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Indefinetely in this case means that Lehkonen has been playing hurt for a while, but it became unbearable and he has been shut down. 

He's been a pretty big piece this year. Shitty news for sure 

54 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

He's been a pretty big piece this year. Shitty news for sure 

He sure has been shooting the puck right into the goalkeepers chest a lot.

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its neck and neck between Lehkonen and Byron as to who is the best two way winger on the team, so its a loss for sure. 

I would take Pacioretty over both of them...

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Offensively sure. 

in his own end... he's not bad, but he's not as good as those two. 

So ?  Are we talking two-way or not.

Cuz IMO,   Pacioretty offensive + defensive  contribution  is still better than  Byron or Lehkonen  offensive + defensive contribution.  Mainly because of waaaaaay better offense.

In other words,   70 + 30  is better than 30 + 60.

• Upvote 1

Ok, i'll concede that. 

Doesn't change the fact its a big loss as you want a good defensive winger with Drouin - Galchenyuk to clean up for their flaws, and you also want a good defensive winger with Plekanec given the matchups and defensive zone starts he gets.  This means that only one of those two spots is now filled, unlike before where both were filled.