Deslaurier is going to be out for a few weeks. Had surgery on his face today 

Sucks for D-Lo

Maynopen the door to: Shinkaruk, McCarron or Chaput

heck, DLR may get a lease on life and even Suzuki may step up ! :tigi:

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added last sentence

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

Deslaurier is going to be out for a few weeks. Had surgery on his face today 

Well, that's one less winger to send down. And the end of Deslauriers in the top six. Hate it happened but it will be good for someone like Hudon or Lehkonen to move back to LW or giving Shinkaruk a solid observation.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Why? You think he is gonna retire or something?

It all depends on the nature of the fracture.  If it's something that could cause real damage if it gets hit (just like Emelin), then it may force him to stop.  It's a minor one that just needs a few weeks/months to heal though, then it wouldn't necessarily make him stop.

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

Many of these fractures require hardware placement for fixation.

Can only speculate since I don’t know the actual nature of the fracture.

So 'likely' is just a wild ass guess or poor choice of word.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It all depends on the nature of the fracture.  If it's something that could cause real damage if it gets hit (just like Emelin), then it may force him to stop.  It's a minor one that just needs a few weeks/months to heal though, then it wouldn't necessarily make him stop.

Emelin got pummelled by a huge goon (another ex-Hab wasnt it?) and likely was OK using the excuse that he 'couldnt' fight again anyways, when he likely didnt want to ever fight to begin with.

But, the only issue was poster saying "likely" done, based on nothing or being another Recchi-type diagnosis.

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Emelin got pummelled by a huge goon (another ex-Hab wasnt it?) and likely was OK using the excuse that he 'couldnt' fight again anyways, when he likely didnt want to ever fight to begin with.

But, the only issue was poster saying "likely" done, based on nothing or being another Recchi-type diagnosis.

Emelin had a steel plate put in his face. Pretty good excuse not to fight 

8 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

Emelin had a steel plate put in his face. Pretty good excuse not to fight 

Right, and what Don is saying is that Emelin was likely happy to have that built-in excuse to not fight because he didn't want to face the consequences of his physical play in the first place.  That was always my biggest issue with Emelin - if you want to play a game as physical as he does, you should be able and willing to stand up for yourself. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Right, and what Don is saying is that Emelin was likely happy to have that built-in excuse to not fight because he didn't want to face the consequences of his physical play in the first place.  That was always my biggest issue with Emelin - if you want to play a game as physical as he does, you should be able and willing to stand up for yourself. 

Yes, I’m sure Emelin loves having a steel plate in his face - probably requested one even though it wasn’t needed so he wouldn’t have to fight ?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

You dont need to clarify what he's saying.

Quick question. Would you rather have a long career playing hockey, making millions of dollars or risk having your career ended by a punch, because of "the code"?

Trust me, I love watching a solid fight, but why would this guy risk his livelihood, for something that could be avoided. 

17 hours ago, DON said:

There it is.... DON being DON.  And in fact, I will say 100% that Deslauriers had hardware placement and near 100% chance that we will never see him scrap again.

- Signed Dr. Recchi. :B)

It’s going to be a great year boys!

8 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

That was always my biggest issue with Emelin - if you want to play a game as physical as he does, you should be able and willing to stand up for yourself. 

My god that's the softest crap I've heard.

Hockey is a physical game. If a guy is throwing big clean checks and you can't accept it, you shouldn't play. 

Fighting is illegal. There's a penalty for it. Nobody should be resorting to illegal play because of your legal play. 

And if the checks are high? The referee is the one who should do something. 

This is the same crap expressed in baseball. Playing too well? Someone has to bean you so you stop making pitchers look bad. It's pathetic. 

Your job is to play hockey, not illegally play hockey because someone is mad that you're playing too good of hockey. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Hockey is a physical game. If a guy is throwing big clean checks and you can't accept it, you shouldn't play. 

Fighting is illegal. There's a penalty for it. Nobody should be resorting to illegal play because of your legal play. 

This is the same crap expressed in baseball. Playing too well? Someone has to bean you so you stop making pitchers look bad. It's pathetic. 

Your job is to play hockey, not illegally play hockey because someone is mad that you're playing too good of hockey. 

Well said.

I am not against fighting in hockey but completely agree with MOLG.

22 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Right on! I feel like the league is getting to this level - but at a snails pace.

33 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

My god that is the most naive post ever.

Owners like fighting and fans seem to love fights breaking out and thus is no suspension nor fine to do it, so it is part of the game, unlike any other sport.

Is that OK, of course not, but wont change until someone is killed or paralyzed.

38 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Right on! I feel like the league is getting to this level - but at a snails pace.

The league is not getting to it. Too much goes unpenalized. Emelin typically played clean hockey so no deal,  but i see dirty crap go uncalled all the time. Got no issue with someone getting punched out for it. I enjoy the odd good fight. Got no time for the staged fighting  between  boogaard and Laraque because Cooke had a dirty hit on Crosby 10 minutes earlier. But if someone is going  around slashing and bumping the goalie, bring on the punch face. Fun part of hockey for me.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The thing is, Emelin's brand of physical hockey includes checks that cross the line. Look at the few times he actually did fight. When Abdelkader jumped him, it was after a dirty hit on Larkin. When he fought Kane, it was after he delivered two cheap shots to Kane's face. When he fought Chara, it was after he hacked Seguin in the wrist. Emelin is a dirty player and managed to be a dirty player that couldn't back up his teammates.

While beaning a guy for getting a big hit or "showing up the pitcher" is idiotic, the comparison does not hold water. It is only against the rules to bean a batter after the umpire has issued a warning. Also, there are times when it is absolutely appropriate to bean a player, i.e. the next time he comes to bat after a dirty slide.

Fighting is within the rules of the game - there is simply a penalty for it. If it were illegal, then any fight would result in fines, suspensions, etc. I guess the next thing you'll be telling me is how horrible it is to make an "illegal" play such as a hook to break save a goal.

13 hours ago, Habopotamus said:

You dont need to clarify what he's saying.

Quick question. Would you rather have a long career playing hockey, making millions of dollars or risk having your career ended by a punch, because of "the code"?

Trust me, I love watching a solid fight, but why would this guy risk his livelihood, for something that could be avoided. 

It just sounded like you were taking the comment a bit literally and weren't picking up on the implication.

I understand why Emelin avoided fighting - he absolutely should have. At the same time, if you're unwilling/unable to fight, then you shouldn't be playing a style of game where you frequently end up making dirty hits. Of course, I suppose that implies that if you are willing to fight that you should go around playing dirty, but that's not what I am trying to imply.

19 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Fighting is within the rules of the game - there is simply a penalty for it. If it were illegal, then any fight would result in fines, suspensions, etc. I guess the next thing you'll be telling me is how horrible it is to make an "illegal" play such as a hook to break save a goal.

No, it's illegal. It's against the rules. That's why the game stops when it happens and people goto the penalty box after. Fights are not legal in the game.

25 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

The thing is, Emelin's brand of physical hockey includes checks that cross the line. Look at the few times he actually did fight. When Abdelkader jumped him, it was after a dirty hit on Larkin. When he fought Kane, it was after he delivered two cheap shots to Kane's face. When he fought Chara, it was after he hacked Seguin in the wrist. Emelin is a dirty player and managed to be a dirty player that couldn't back up his teammates.

While beaning a guy for getting a big hit or "showing up the pitcher" is idiotic, the comparison does not hold water. It is only against the rules to bean a batter after the umpire has issued a warning. Also, there are times when it is absolutely appropriate to bean a player, i.e. the next time he comes to bat after a dirty slide.

It just sounded like you were taking the comment a bit literally and weren't picking up on the implication.

I understand why Emelin avoided fighting - he absolutely should have. At the same time, if you're unwilling/unable to fight, then you shouldn't be playing a style of game where you frequently end up making dirty hits. Of course, I suppose that implies that if you are willing to fight that you should go around playing dirty, but that's not what I am trying to imply.

I think the majority of Emelin’s hits were well within the playbook. He did have the odd dirty hit but he was not a dirty player.

11 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

I think the majority of Emelin’s hits were well within the playbook. He did have the odd dirty hit but he was not a dirty player.

I just feel like I frequently remember thinking, "there's a another hit where any other player would have to fight." Admittedly, I thought that for many years before hearing the reason why he didn't fight, so it's possible I was never able to quite get that poor opinion of him out of my head.

14 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

No, it's illegal. It's against the rules. That's why the game stops when it happens and people goto the penalty box after. Fights are not legal in the game.

I guess we're just coming down to semantics. To me, illegal carries a stronger meaning than something simply being against the rules. I see in the dictionary, though, that one of the valid definitions is specifically something being against the rules in a game or sport, so you've got me there. 

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

In public it is illegal, but in hockey is a 5 minute sabbatical from play, then if 'need' be, do it all again next period.

In MLB/NBA/NFL etc it is instant ejection, automatic fines for player, often team/coach as well and suspensions.

But, is as the owners want it. Like in the game today, not having refs give Tom Wilson a 10minute penalty, when all he was doing was running around taking one 2 penalty after another trying to start a fight. Surely a misconduct in a meaningless game was due...but fans like fights and sells tickets.