Injury news

Commandant

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

The last thing (and this is important for the Habs), teams only had one year to plan for expansion.  They didn't know the rules.  Now GMs have 2-3 years to know what they will be facing, and can manipulate their rosters well in advance.

This wasn't from Gilman, but my on though on how this applies to two players on the Habs... Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.  The Habs are better off putting Suzuki in the OHL, where he won't accumulate a year of pro experience... and Kotkaniemi in Finland... where he won't accumulate a year of pro experience (he would in the AHL)... under the old expansion draft rules.  Depending when Seattle comes in, this is the difference between protecting the players or them being exempt from the draft and giving us more protection slots. 

Great post.

I have been trying to keep tabs on players and line-ups with the expansion in mind. A way to pass the time : guessing who would be on the CH protection list

snd like your notes say, it is a good strategy for team to think about this a couple of years ahead of time

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And finally, to bring this back to the Habs, Montreal gave Nashville Sebastien Bordeleau to they wouldn't select Peter Popovic, who the Habs would trade less than a month later to the New York Rangers for a fifth round pick. Bordeleau had one good season with Nashville and was gone. Who did the Predators take instead? Tomas Vokoun, who is still the second best goalie in Predators history, behind only Rinne.

And to keep it with the Habs, Bordeleau is now a skills consultant with Montreal.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

I was looking forward to seeing "the real Schlemko" this year, guess not

He's probably getting bought out in June, assuming he manages to get to the buyout window without stubbing his toe. 

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

He's probably getting bought out in June, assuming he manages to get to the buyout window without stubbing his toe. 

I don't see that happening unless the Habs are somehow right up against the cap.  If they have the room, they may as well keep him (or trade and retain) so that there's no further cap effect beyond 2020.

46 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't see that happening unless the Habs are somehow right up against the cap.  If they have the room, they may as well keep him (or trade and retain) so that there's no further cap effect beyond 2020.

He could be traded to a team trying to reach the cap floor (Ottawa?)

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He could be traded to a team trying to reach the cap floor (Ottawa?)

His salary is lower than his AAV (which, I suspect, is about the only factor they care about now) so I guess that could be a possibility.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Jacob de la Rose is back at practice so we're not far from a roster move being forced as activating him will move the Habs to 24.

I don't know why we'd bother adding him to the roster, but I guess those are the constraints ya gotta put up with. 'Cardiac episode' certainly sounds alarming, though!!

On 10/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, Habopotamus said:

Hopefully de larose is ok, but now is probably the best time to put him on waivers. 

I could see us waiving scherbak instead of dlr.  I wouldnt make that choice but i could see the habs doing it.

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I could see us waiving scherbak instead of dlr.  I wouldnt make that choice but i could see the habs doing it.

:1vomit:

I have a lot of trouble with DLR. He just seems a mind-numbingly boring player with zero upside. The ultimate in forgettable.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have a lot of trouble with DLR. He just seems a mind-numbingly boring player with zero upside. The ultimate in forgettable.

He had a decent finish to the season last year and i think julien is not a huge scherbak fan

On 10/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t hear another voice saying it but on the other end of the spectrum, I personally have high opinion of Scherbak’s future. It’s not only that De La Rose is a boring player, but Scherbak will be quite the player. Time will tell.