Injury news

Commandant

50 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Being that Byron's best asset is his speed, and he's already looked like he lost a step this season, having knee surgery is just a concerning. 

Perhaps he's been playing on a bad knee all season and that is why its looked like he's lost a step?

I noticed Kotkaniemi looked to be skating better on Saturday than he was before his injury.  He was playing at less than 100% earlier too. 

38 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

This is the Calgary Flames, Byron. The guy is constantly hurt and when he's not, he plays like a barely NHL capable forward. 

Its weird, I never pegged him as a guy that would lose determination after getting paid, but he 100% did. He doesn't have that chip on his shoulder anymore 

I'm betting that Byron is done. Harsh to say it, but he's 30 and always relied on one attribute: speed. Knee surgery? Forget it.

A guy like Suzuki was always going to crowd him out of the lineup anyway, so in the big picture the club will be fine.

The injury to Drouin is more worrisome when it comes to the team's prospects for immediate success. The guy was on a 78-point pace and seemed to really be buying what the coaches are selling. Given his erratic past, can he be trusted to pick up where he left off when he returns? Or will we be saying things like, "that big injury really set him back," "he's struggled to find his confidence since returning," etc.? My guess is that we will. That always seems to be what happens with guys like him. Hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm betting that Byron is done. Harsh to say it, but he's 30 and always relied on one attribute: speed. Knee surgery? Forget it.

A guy like Suzuki was always going to crowd him out of the lineup anyway, so in the big picture the club will be fine.

The injury to Drouin is more worrisome when it comes to the team's prospects for immediate success. The guy was on a 78-point pace and seemed to really be buying what the coaches are selling. Given his erratic past, can he be trusted to pick up where he left off when he returns? Or will we be saying things like, "that big injury really set him back," "he's struggled to find his confidence since returning," etc.? My guess is that we will. That always seems to be what happens with guys like him. Hope I'm wrong.

You might be correct on both fronts 

8 weeks, yikes. Does Bergevin make a move? 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Jeez... ever the optimist 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Jeez... ever the optimist 

25 years of watching failure will do that to a guy. FWIW I still think the probabilities favour both of the scenarios I sketched. I've seen this sort of movie too many times before.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

25 years of watching failure will do that to a guy. FWIW I still think the probabilities favour both of the scenarios I sketched. I've seen this sort of movie too many times before.

As i said earlier,  I think Byron was playing on an injured knee.  I think getting it fixed and being out a bit could help him.  Id like to know what the surgery was and how serious it is.  Its one thing to do some cleanup and its another for an acl/mcl tear.  Not all knee injuries are the same 

As for drouin, hes a guy who clearly committed to changing his game.  All the offseason stuff we heard about him working with coaches and changing the way he played came true.  I dont think his early play was just a hot streak, I think its a legit change.

I seem to think Byron and Drouin will be fine once they heal up as well. 

It seems rather pessimistic to think both injuries will have such negative impacts on their careers.  

8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It seems rather pessimistic to think both injuries will have such negative impacts on their careers.  

Exactly.  Of course some players arent the same after surgery.  But the vast, vast majority come back fine.

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Exactly.  Of course some players arent the same after surgery.  But the vast, vast majority come back fine.

Especially with arthroscopic surgery, it's less invasive and has high success rates.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'm no (medical) doctor. True. Converesly, Byron is bound to lose a step, and pretty soon.

On Drouin, I wasn't saying it would compromise his career - only that it would derail his strong play this season. It will bump him out of the zone he's been in. So I'm expecting erratic play from him when he gets back, because, likeI mentioned above, that's how guys like him seem to roll.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looks like Drouin out 2 months.

Geoff Molson (see quote above on this page) said 6-8 weeks. We'll see where it ends up. It was great to see that they got him in for arthroscopic surgery (probably at a private clinic) the very first day, no further time lost.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Geoff Molson (see quote above on this page) said 6-8 weeks. We'll see where it ends up. It was great to see that they got him in for arthroscopic surgery (probably at a private clinic) the very first day, no further time lost.

Well we'll see if Bergevin can add a top line forward or a band aid move . 

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Adding that much-needed LD would make a bigger difference even during Drouin's recovery. And more so after Drouin returns.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Adding that much-needed LD would make a bigger difference even during Drouin's recovery. And more so after Drouin returns.

I agree but what have we seen from Bergevin since the offer sheet?  I am just hoping he's not going to sit back and hope the kids step up. Price and Weber are playing at a high level right now if we can add a top LD to this group and a LW to balance out the scoring I think we can make the playoffs. But if he sits back and does nothing we could fall off and not be able to recover once Drouin and Byron come back.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Bergevin has never been one to make band aid moves. Why overpay when every other team knows you are desperate. 

Also this is a team with excellent forward depth, would a bandaid move be better than their depth? I doubt it.  

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bergevin has never been one to make band aid moves. Why overpay when every other team knows you are desperate. 

Also this is a team with excellent forward depth, would a bandaid move be better than their depth? I doubt it.  

Is this Bergevin .......because that line is 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Is this Bergevin .......because that line is 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Its true. 

He didn't make bandaid moves when Weber got hurt. 

When Price got hurt, he got Ben Scrivens on the super cheap... (a ben Scrivens equivalent is putting Weal in the lineup, calling up a Hudon and a Poehling or a Peca or a Weise or an Evans). 

When Gallagher broke his hand, or Galchenyuk ripped up his knee or other injuries hit, he's never made a panic, band-aid move.  Its not his MO.  And given our depth at wing, I don't see why that would change this year. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Its true. 

He didn't make bandaid moves when Weber got hurt. 

When Price got hurt, he got Ben Scrivens on the super cheap... (a ben Scrivens equivalent is putting Weal in the lineup, calling up a Hudon and a Poehling or a Peca or a Weise or an Evans). 

When Gallagher broke his hand, or Galchenyuk ripped up his knee or other injuries hit, he's never made a panic, band-aid move.  Its not his MO.  And given our depth at wing, I don't see why that would change this year. 

Band aid moves are ones you do to not upgrade your team when you lose a key guy to injury, but you plug  in 4th line players on the top lines and call up unready players in hopes you can weather the storm. In every case you mentioned the team went into a losing streak because of it as a result they never recover when the player got back and we missed the playoff. We're not a deep team when it comes to NHL ready prospects not yet anyway. 

He thinks that his 4th line players and not NHL ready prospects will some how over night become superstars. Which never happens.

He's not the only gm to do this Bob did this also. He would always trade for a washed up veteran player to fill the gap tell the player got back from injury.

That is why when ever we have key injuries when end up losing games and seeing the try weaknesses of the club.