Injury news

Commandant

On 11/21/2019 at 6:45 AM, Commandant said:

Players in the NHL already?  Like Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Fleury.... three starters who are 20, 20, and 19. 

We've recently graduated three very young players to the NHL and people are complaining about the depth of the prospect system because only a few players are knocking at the door in Laval.  Meanwhile, Poehling and Juulsen are really close, and there is a ton of depth that is a year or two away. 

And they say that those who don't agree with them are the ones drinking the kool-aid?

Madness. 

For me, the Kool-Aid is not that we have a good system, it's the idea that if we just wait three years we'll obviously have a contending team. 

Already I notice that the target date has been sliding, Last year we said 'wait three years.' This year we say 'wait three years.' It would not surprise me if we say the same thing next year. The eternal three-year Window of Delayed Gratification. 

The Habs have good prospects and none that project to be high-end elite players. I guess you can win with depth - I love the roll-four-lines model - but it'd be nice to have a bona-fide franchise cornerstone or two in that mix. Other teams produce elite-level young guns. We produce guys who seem to project to be quality 50-60 point players. Our franchise cornerstones are well over 30 and no one in the system projects to be at their level. I guess we can be like Bergevin and say 'well, I don't care about the Price/Weber window.' (Petry will be aging out in three years too, as Gallagher conceivably could also, given the pounding his body has taken over the years). Personally I don't understand why we appear to be uninterested in winning before that mystical three-year target date. 

Who knows, it might all work out. But given how many times we've been told the same story - remember when Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin and the Kostitsyn Bros. were supposed to be the nucleus of a future contender? How about Pacioretty and Subban? - I remain puzzled by the gullibility of people who seem to think that in three years, presto! We'll be great. This is especially true given that our GM has a track record of not addressing major roster holes in a timely manner.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, Commandant said:

Players in the NHL already?  Like Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Fleury.... three starters who are 20, 20, and 19. 

We've recently graduated three very young players to the NHL and people are complaining about the depth of the prospect system because only a few players are knocking at the door in Laval.  Meanwhile, Poehling and Juulsen are really close, and there is a ton of depth that is a year or two away. 

And they say that those who don't agree with them are the ones drinking the kool-aid?

Madness. 

I am not talking about a year or two away I am talking about right now. Price and Weber are playing at a high level. We're at least one top LD playmaking D away from being a playoff team this year, and a hard one to play against at that. But we don't have the depth RIGHT NOW in the organization to over come long term injuries to key players. You can see it all ready in these 3 losses.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

We're at least one top LD playmaking D away from being a playoff team this year

You do know that the Habs are in a playoff spot right now.

52 minutes ago, DON said:

You do know that the Habs are in a playoff spot right now.

now , which is why we can't afford to tail spin and go on a slide like we always do when we lose key players to long term injuries.

Lost Price to long term injury did nothing to replace his production and we missed the playoffs.

Lost Weber to injury did nothing to replace His production and missed the playof

Drouin doesn't have as much impact as Price and Weber but he was off to a great start this year and was putting up points 15pts in 19 games played. No one has stepped up for the team, and you can see it in their last 3 games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

now , which is why we can't afford to tail spin and go on a slide like we always do when we lose key players to long term injuries.

Lost Price to long term injury did nothing to replace his production and we missed the playoffs.

Lost Weber to injury did nothing to replace His production and missed the playof

Drouin doesn't have as much impact as Price and Weber but he was off to a great start this year and was putting up points 15pts in 19 games played. No one has stepped up for the team, and you can see it in their last 3 games.

Drouin had all of 3pts in last 6 games played, so not like he was ripping it up or would be hard to replace.

It does not, no. But neither does his injury impact the team as much as one to Price or Weber would.

We argue about depth, or the lack thereof, and why we don’t have top-line forwards ready to go in Laval. But the reality is that any NHL team will have its 20 best players on its NHL roster, and its AHL players will be weaker than those 20: they will be weaker than the fourth-line or third-pair players on the NHL team. So when one of the NHL players is injured, and the team draws on its AHL roster, it will pick up a weaker player than the injured one.

Every team. Every time. For no team does an injury improve the strength of the team.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

just because he doesn't get points doesn't mean he is doing nothing.

It did last spring when he added zero offense and every year for Pacioretty during cold streaks

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Every team in the league will have a stretch of 3 games where they pick up 2 points only.

The sky isnt falling.

Lets not overreact to a small downturn when the team was 7-1-2 in the ten games prior to that.

Not over reacting, just going on past experience with this team and injures. It happens all the time not just with Bergevin's team's but Bob's also,

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Looks like the official word on Mete is 2 weeks.  Man oh man this D is in trouble. this could be a long losing streak, and our season ending before the all star break.

I thought you want a lottery pick?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Any updates on a return for Mete and KK? I have  tickets for the Habs in Edmonton game here. Really hoping for a NHL roster and a win! 

thanks 

Byron may be back saturday.

Havent heard anything on mete or kk

• Like 1