Injury news

Commandant

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Should have traded him while value was high.

Yes a short term injury normally kills the value of a hockey player. 

Just like when Max Pacioretty hurt his knee in March 2018, missed 4-6 weeks (the remainder of that season) after he wasn't traded at the 2018 trade deadline.  Totally killed his value in the summer. 

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2018/03/05/following-knee-injury-have-we-seen-last-of-max-pacioretty-with-canadiens/

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Just an awful way to end his season that was turning around in Laval.

Very unfortunate, but it's pretty much what I expected once I found out it was a spleen injury.

The bright side to this is that it is not an injury that is likely to recur later in his career. And he will have six months to rehab, and to get his game into shape for next season.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Very unfortunate, but it's pretty much what I expected once I found out it was a spleen injury.

The bright side to this is that it is not an injury that is likely to recur later in his career. And he will have six months to rehab, and to get his game into shape for next season.

Which is what they say he didn't do last summer and seems they were generally disappointed with his readiness at camp.

I was kinda hoping demotion to AHL would light a fire under his ass, but another set-back just sucks.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Should have traded him while value was high.

Of course YOU would  find some rathole to go down.

Most teams do love to punt their #1 scorer at the deadline, as they are a dime a dozen and so easy to replace in July.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, DON said:

Most teams do love to punt their #1 scorer at the deadline, as they are a dime a dozen and so easy to replace in July.

You mean how ottawa didn’t trade their top scorers last years deadline when it was clear they weren’t in the playoffs, or how Tatar was orig originally traded by Detroit to Vegas?

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You mean how ottawa didn’t trade their top scorers last years deadline when it was clear they weren’t in the playoffs, or how Tatar was orig originally traded by Detroit to Vegas?

Ottawa and Detroit are such better teams today cause they made these moves. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

Whether we should or should not have traded Tatar at the deadline is just pure speculation as we will never know what MB was offered. Tatar is a valuable member of the Habs, has 1 year left on his contract and seems to like it here.  The return would have to be substantial, not just a late 1st round pick. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Which is what they say he didn't do last summer and seems they were generally disappointed with his readiness at camp.

Quite. We can only hope that both Kotkaniemi and the Habs learned from that experience, and that he will be undergoing a rather different training regimen this year, including a lot more skating.

2 hours ago, DON said:

I was kinda hoping demotion to AHL would light a fire under his ass, but another set-back just sucks.

He did play much better in Laval, in the dozen or so games that he was there before his injury.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Ottawa and Detroit are such better teams today cause they made these moves. 

Ottawa positioned themselves very well this draft, with the number of picks they have, including multiple lottery picks.  Their pick also looks better than KK and have a young stud at D.

detroit started their year down too late - which is the same path we are on.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You want to follow Ottawa's recipe and the worst team in NHL history in the WIngs? You are joking arnt you?

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Quite. We can only hope that both Kotkaniemi and the Habs learned from that experience, and that he will be undergoing a rather different training regimen this year, including a lot more skating.

He did play much better in Laval, in the dozen or so games that he was there before his injury.

13 points in 12 games before the injury (13 in 13 including the game he left early).

1 minute ago, DON said:

You want to follow Ottawa's recipe and the worst team in NHL history in the WIngs? You are joking arnt you?

No, I want to avoid the Detroit recipe if trying to squeeze in when they should have started reloading earlier and as far as ottawa goes, they are better positioned to stockpile elite prospects (not just merely good prospects).  Their issue is with their wingnut owner.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Detroit is the worst team since the 2005 lost season... yeah lets copy that. 

Because holland kept giving bad contracts to old guys and waited to too long to reload.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

13 points in 12 games before the injury (13 in 13 including the game he left early).

BUT, why no goals in minors (1 yes, empty netter) do you think, is it a mental block to always look to pass and not shoot or go hard to net (DD, Hemsky and likely lots of others seemed similar). Lack of confidence?

Funny how EVERY prospect ranking out there has us ahead of the Wings and Ottawa in terms of the prospects in our system. 

Guess they just don't see things through your anti-Bergevin prism. 

Just now, DON said:

BUT, why no goals in minors (1 yes, empty netter) do you think, is it a mental block to always look to pass and not shoot or go hard to net (DD, Hemsky and likely lots of others seemed similar). Lack of confidence?

He's always been more of a playmaker than a goal scorer, and he was a bit snakebit not to score some of the chances he had.  He played really well and was dominant in many games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Funny how EVERY prospect ranking out there has us ahead of the Wings and Ottawa in terms of the prospects in our system. 

Guess they just don't see things through your anti-Bergevin prism. 

That’s because their recent picks are actually top players on their team (tkachuk, chancy). Whose out last draft pick that is an impact player - Gallagher.

they've also got Brannstrom, Batherson, pinto, norris and will have a couple of high lottery picks this year.

Well, at least any player with nagging injury (Weber?) should appreciate time off to heal and get ready for the mad June push to get to the playoffs.

• 3 months later...

Kotkaniemi has been cleared to play.  Good news for him, bad news for me as I have go re-jig an article that in part was based on the assumption that he wouldn't be available.  Back to the drawing board for that one...

https://theathletic.com/1896204/2020/06/26/jesperi-kotkaniemi-will-be-at-canadiens-training-camp-as-a-full-participant

16 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Kotkaniemi has been cleared to play.  Good news for him, bad news for me as I have go re-jig an article that in part was based on the assumption that he wouldn't be available.  Back to the drawing board for that one...

https://theathletic.com/1896204/2020/06/26/jesperi-kotkaniemi-will-be-at-canadiens-training-camp-as-a-full-participant

Since I do not want them to win ... make KK the 1C or 2C ... even if "his game had gone up more than a notch" in Laval I doubt he could handle Crosby or Malkin ... 

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 3:43 PM, dlbalr said:

Great to hear he is healthy again.

34 minutes ago, DON said:

Great to hear he is healthy again.

Agreed ... just hope their decision for 20/21 on whether to play KK in the NHL or Laval is based on what is best for the development of his full potential and not that sending him back to Laval to start the season would make their drafting look bad.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... just hope their decision for 20/21 on whether to play KK in the NHL or Laval is based on what is best for the development of his full potential and not that sending him back to Laval to start the season would make their drafting look bad.

I think he should have been in the AHL earlier this year and he was rushed.  But given their may not be an AHL season, I’d say you bring him to the camp and play-in and use him if he looks good. It’s at most 5 games and than they is almost a 5 month layoff for the NHL and longer if there is no AHL season.  May as well let him okay and get though the injury butterflies now.  It’s not like there are so many great players ahead of him and i see the play-in as a mini camp anyway unless Pittsburgh really screws the pooch.