Injury news

Commandant

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It's been two years since he's been anything close to being on top of his game, and four years removed from truly being on it.  They're only going to win if they can recapture their scoring magic from early in the season. But since this team is great at surprising for brief stretches, they'll probably shock the Leafs and then get swept.

Thats just not true.

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Did you watch the team in the bubble last year?

He had his best playoff Sv% ever (.936) ... slightly better than 16/17 (.933) and 10/11 (.934) ... the only times in his 9 playoff appearances in which he has had a Sv% above .920 ... of course that was after having five months of rest to get into the best health (physically and psychologically) possible ... ***NOT*** saying he cannot do it ... just that I don't assume he will

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Thats just not true.

.917 is his career SV%. In the last four seasons, he has been below that average three times, with one season of .918 right at his average. So yes, it is true. He has brief flashes of his old self, but he is not the goalie he once was on a regular basis. He is an average NHL goalie now. I'm not saying he's not their best option, but we need to stop thinking of him as some kind of saviour.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

Let's be honest, when the going gets tough (playoffs) Price is the ONLY habs player that makes a difference night after night. 

I would somewhat clarify that by making it "likely could make a difference, if he is at his best," ... I fear it may be too much to expect him to do so coming off a concussion ... has he even had a live practice yet (i.e., facing Habs players' shots) ... I would certainly look at playing him Friday and/or Saturday in Laval if he is cleared ... have heard talk the playoffs could start as early as Monday, so Laval's finally game seems off the table ... I would prefer Carey start both those games ... back-to-back games would be a true test of whether he is fully over the concussion.

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

It simple for the habs, 

No Price, No dice. 

They will get swept by the leafs, Price may steal a game, but the team is garbage

I disagree 

Allen and Price need to steal one game but the team when healthy can beat anyone

with Drouin out, there is a hole in the lineup that one of the depth forwards has to fill 

On D, if ( and that is the big IF) is healthy then the Habs will get to the second round and maybe further... just maybe 

5 hours ago, Chris said:

Let's be honest, when the going gets tough (playoffs) Price is the ONLY habs player that makes a difference night after night. 

I’d say Price CAN be the only player that makes a difference- not sure if it’s a given anymore. Having said that, I think if we have to count on Allen, we are done. Allen was essential to get us into the playoffs, but isn’t someone I’d expect to get us through the playoffs.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We are going to surprise people with our full roster. 

Our weakness is going to be playing Staal instead of Evans at centre. 

100% agree and that’s what I’d rather sit Stall.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Are in same place as were before any injuries happened arnt they?

I love your positivity but disagree.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

im thinking of the team that started the year. 

Price is going to be good. 

If Price steals us a couple games and doesn't lose us any, we have a chance against the Leafs.

6 minutes ago, Neech said:

If Price steals us a couple games and doesn't lose us any, we have a chance against the Leafs.

But that is true of almost any team in the playoffs ... 

10 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Our weakness is going to be playing Staal instead of Evans at centre. 

Are you actually saying that the decision for the 4th line center spot is the difference in the series? You no they under 500 in the last 40 games right? 

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I disagree 

Allen and Price need to steal one game but the team when healthy can beat anyone

with Drouin out, there is a hole in the lineup that one of the depth forwards has to fill 

On D, if ( and that is the big IF) is healthy then the Habs will get to the second round and maybe further... just maybe 

Drouin? the guy with 2 goals this year? what hole, he was the hole. 

They have been healthy most of the year, after the first 10 games they have been below 500? 

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

My expectations for an upset are very very low but I guess that's why it would be an upset.  Even if Weber, Gallagher, Price and Danault are back, can we expect them to be in good form?  Not likely. 

And even if they are all in good form, are we as good as the Leafs?

We're calling in all the miracles for this one.

I'd just like to add something pertinent that sheds light on our circumstances and chances. Unfortunately I don't have anything like that. Oh well. :-) 

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Drouin? the guy with 2 goals this year? what hole, he was the hole. 

They have been healthy most of the year, after the first 10 games they have been below 500? 

Yea Drouin, a good player to carry the puck in control into the O zone, a fast skater and a great passer

he is a great 3rd line LW that can play in the PP and when hot can play up in the lineup

Lets talk about how many goals the guy had while leaving out the fact he was leading our team in assists.

You do realize hes a play maker, not a sniper.

He also led our team in points in last years playoffs.

But yeah hes either useless or a third liner, depending on who is writing about him.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Lets talk about how many goals the guy had while leaving out the fact he was leading our team in assists.

But yeah hes either useless or a third liner, depending on who is writing about him.  

I’ve been hard on Jo, but you are correct. He is a valuable piece, just don’t expect him to be the play driver and sniper as mentioned.  When playing with fast, disruptive line mates who also have some skill he thrives. As 3rd LW he’d get some ideal matchups and makes our top 9 essentially a 1A,1B,1C scenario that has shown to be a winner and is a matchup headache. He and Anderson had good chemistry early on (first half of season) along with Suzuki. 

hard to break up Suzuki and Toff so I’d like to see Jo and Andy with KK, solid 1C/3rd line.

Evans, Lehks, Byro on 4th, woohee that’s a winner. (Assuming 24/11 return at high level).

leave 14/73/40 together.

I believe that is basically the lineup that tore it up early on with a couple line shuffles involved.

That forward group can play with any team if the d and Price hold up to expected performance.

46 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

I’ve been hard on Jo, but you are correct. He is a valuable piece, just don’t expect him to be the play driver and sniper as mentioned.  When playing with fast, disruptive line mates who also have some skill he thrives. As 3rd LW he’d get some ideal matchups and makes our top 9 essentially a 1A,1B,1C scenario that has shown to be a winner and is a matchup headache. He and Anderson had good chemistry early on (first half of season) along with Suzuki. 

hard to break up Suzuki and Toff so I’d like to see Jo and Andy with KK, solid 1C/3rd line.

Evans, Lehks, Byro on 4th, woohee that’s a winner. (Assuming 24/11 return at high level).

leave 14/73/40 together.

I believe that is basically the lineup that tore it up early on with a couple line shuffles involved.

That forward group can play with any team if the d and Price hold up to expected performance.

As for putting him on a line, I highly doubt he plays, so which centre to put him with is irrelevant. 

I was merely saying that he isn't a black hole, and he isn't "just a third liner". 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I recognize, and actually love, his talent ... but he is a frustrating and polarizing talent ... this season (5-on-5) Drouin is 3rd in A/60 (4th in A1/60)* but 15th in G/60 ... last amongst forwards ... including Eric Staal ... over his career as a Hab Jonathan is 5th in A/60 but 11th in G/60 (just ahead of Danault and Hudon) ... his PP results are similar for goals but he is the leader in assists.

IMO the issue is that he is too inconsistent to be a top 6 forward on a good team and on a 3rd line his linemates usually would not have the talent to make best use of his prime skill (passing) ... this has only been compounded by the expectations of being the only native son with star talent.

* - minimum 15 games played per season