Injury news

Commandant

4 hours ago, DON said:

Cant say I would wish injury on any player...although if Marchand got ran through the boards with clean hit from Emelin and got "a bit" banged up, I wouldn't be too upset.:youpi:

And I of course have called Chara to be mangled, but these are not Habs.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Byron and Shaw both skated this morning in Brossard which is a good sign.  Markov and Galchenyuk weren't mentioned which may or may not be notable.

Hopefully all are playing Monday :)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Closer to the end of the month.

I think it might be sooner than that.  He flew out to rejoin St. John's when they were in Binghamton which should be a sign that he's getting closer.  Their decision to release one of their PTO forwards suggests one of their two injured guys (Hudon or Crisp) are ready to play come Friday when they play next.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think it might be sooner than that.  He flew out to rejoin St. John's when they were in Binghamton which should be a sign that he's getting closer.  Their decision to release one of their PTO forwards suggests one of their two injured guys (Hudon or Crisp) are ready to play come Friday when they play next.

I think it more suggests that they expect one of the guys in Montreal to be back in the AHL by Friday.  Therrein has already said that Markov and Galchenyuk could both be back this week. 

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think it more suggests that they expect one of the guys in Montreal to be back in the AHL by Friday.  Therrein has already said that Markov and Galchenyuk could both be back this week. 

I could be wrong on this, but if Hudon is injured for long enough, couldn't he miss the # of games required to be eligible for waiver draft exposure? Or am I misinterpreting the rule?

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's certainly a possibility but why wouldn't they have waited until they got that player back for sure before releasing MacLean?  I also can't see Hudon flying out to join the team on the road trip if he's still a few weeks away from returning.

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I could be wrong on this, but if Hudon is injured for long enough, couldn't he miss the # of games required to be eligible for waiver draft exposure? Or am I misinterpreting the rule?

Regardless of how many games he misses, he's still a third year pro and only players with two or less years are exempt.

9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

There is no minimum number of games.  He is still eligible. 

The rule is that you must expose 2 forwards who have played 40 NHL games this year (or 70 in the last two years) and are under contract for next season.  It does not limit the Golden Knights to selecting from those players.  They can choose anyone with more than 2 years as a pro (AHL and NHL) and not protected.  Doesn't matter how many games the player has played. 

The rule is merely to ensure that each team is making NHL caliber players available to Vegas.  Not that they can only pick players with a minimum number of games. 

Byron, Shaw, Markov, and Galchenyuk are all in a regular practice jersey today.  However, only Byron's skating with the PP practice units which suggests the other three probably aren't ready to return yet.  It looks like Byron will be in tonight though.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Regardless of how many games he misses, he's still a third year pro and only players with two or less years are exempt.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is no minimum number of games.  He is still eligible. 

The rule is that you must expose 2 forwards who have played 40 NHL games this year (or 70 in the last two years) and are under contract for next season.  It does not limit the Golden Knights to selecting from those players.  They can choose anyone with more than 2 years as a pro (AHL and NHL) and not protected.  Doesn't matter how many games the player has played. 

The rule is merely to ensure that each team is making NHL caliber players available to Vegas.  Not that they can only pick players with a minimum number of games. 

Thanks guys

1 hour ago, DON said:

Does Lefebvre deserve some credit for how his kids are chipping in and helping get some wins?

I would have to say yes.

Or you can interpret it as they are doing well despite him and would even be better without him.

Who knows maybe Scherbak has a hat trick against the Leafs Saturday if one of us was the AHL coach. 

56 minutes ago, JMMR said:

I would have to say yes.

Or you can interpret it as they are doing well despite him and would even be better without him.

Who knows maybe Scherbak has a hat trick against the Leafs Saturday if one of us was the AHL coach. 

I know, however if do poorly it would be quickly placed at Sly's feet, similar to Therrien who just cant get any credit, because it is only due to Price if they win, it seems.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Does Lefebvre deserve some credit for how his kids are chipping in and helping get some wins?

Two questions about that 

First which of these players are truly helping us win versus hacking at the puck well enough to allow our key players (Price, Weber, Pacioretty, Radulov ...) to lead us to a win? here are a couple youngsters chipping like Danault and Lehkonen, but they never player for us at the AHL level. Byron stepped up this season, Mitchell is playing some solid hockey, Petry is playing perhaps his best hockey, same for Emelin ... but again none of them played for Lefebvre. 

My answer to this first question is that McCarron is playing quite well, but in a very limited 4th line role, and that's about it. Scherbak scored a PP goal, that was one game. Some might want to mention Beaulieu, but he was mediocre in the AHL under Lefebvre, he's now progressing again after being away from Lefebvre. Other than that, Andrighetto fails to stick with the team over and over, Carr is mediocre, and the other guys (Farnham, Johnson, Hanley...) are all marginal players playing marginal hockey. 

The second question is whether these players that played under Lefebvre and helping us now, have they actually improved during their time in the AHL playing under Lefebvre? Michael McCarron is a first round pick, he joined us in the AHL after a great OHL season where he was the first line center of the Memorial Cup champions, and now he's playing decent hockey as a limited 4th line center... is that thanks to the amazing work of Sylvain Lefebvre, or is it just the strict minimum we could have expected of him at this point?? Scherbak scored one PP goal in his first game, woohoo!, after one year and a half Lefebvre transformed a highly skilled offensive player, one of the best offensive players in the WHL, into a guy we're afraid to give ice time to, but is able to score a PP goal while being all alone with the goalie in front of the net. 

I'm not a Therrien fan, but I can give him some credit this season. However even though I would love to give Lefebvre some credit for developing our young players, I'm sorry I have a hard time seeing significant progression in the players who play under him. McCarron was good enough to play on our forth line last year, and he's pretty at the same level now, any improvement I would award more to experience and maturity.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DON said:

no, not anymore than Sather opening the gate for Wayne. Talent is talent. They did not do it in SJ.