Injury news

Commandant

28 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Well he would have to sign a 1 year contract in the 2.5 range. This he may not like.

Um, no... Markov is getting much more than 2.5. 

He was top 10 in D-Scoring when he got hurt. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Um, no... Markov is getting much more than 2.5. 

He was top 10 in D-Scoring when he got hurt. 

He is going to be 39 next year, and has lost more than 1 step. It is time to think of retirement or making a lot less money.

2 minutes ago, habs rule said:

He is going to be 39 next year, and has lost more than 1 step. It is time to think of retirement or making a lot less money.

I'm quite sure he could get substantial $$$ on a one-year deal.

If he wants more than one year, maybe that is when the asking price drops a bit. As long as #79 can point to the stats sheet and say he is a top-10 NHL offensive defenceman, the idea that he will accept a hug pay-cut seems dubious.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If he wants more than one year, maybe that is when the asking price drops a bit. As long as #79 can point to the stats sheet and say he is a top-10 NHL offensive defenceman, the idea that he will accept a hug pay-cut seems dubious.

We shall see but MB is not a guy who likes to throw money around. There may be some tough negotiations, revolving around age, injuries etc.

19 minutes ago, habs rule said:

We shall see but MB is not a guy who likes to throw money around. There may be some tough negotiations, revolving around age, injuries etc.

Well he is willing to throw it around for some players Plekanec, Emelin, Desharnais....... but I get your point. I bet he tries to talk him down as much as possible but Markov still deserves to be paid a decent amount of money with all the points he has put up this year and our reliance on him still. The only hope MB has is that Markov takes a bit of a hometown discount to retire as a Hab. 

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Exactly, as long as he signs one-year deals, he will get paid.  Few can do as well as a playmaker on a powerplay as he can. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan84 said:

Well he is willing to throw it around for some players Plekanec, Emelin, Desharnais....... but I get your point. I bet he tries to talk him down as much as possible but Markov still deserves to be paid a decent amount of money with all the points he has put up this year and our reliance on him still. The only hope MB has is that Markov takes a bit of a hometown discount to retire as a Hab. 

Well I for one have never seen Markov take a discount. I would love to see him retire as a Hab but I just do not think that will happen at 5 million a year. He has too many ex's with kids. We may not have the $$$.

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Pretty sure that Markov could settle down for 1 year at 4,5M$.

I'd be very happy.

What about 2 years at $8M?  It gives Sergachev a mentor for 2 seasons.

Markov should still get paid and the smart money would be to have him sign a contract for one year if he will take it.

Even tell him that his first year of retirement the have will give him a cushy coaching job with some good money to ensure he stays happy.

1 hour ago, JMMR said:

Markov should still get paid and the smart money would be to have him sign a contract for one year if he will take it.

Even tell him that his first year of retirement the have will give him a cushy coaching job with some good money to ensure he stays happy.

He would probably be a better d coach than what we have. Coaches don't count against the cap,

It sounds like Markov has suffered a setback as he's no longer skating before practice.  The team will apparently be providing an update on his status after practice.  Desharnais is skating once again so if there was a setback, it certainly wasn't much of one.

9 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Worth noting, the Habs called it a minimum two month injury so Gallagher's target for a return is certainly a very aggressive one.

Are there any possible longer-term implications for his hockey performance caused by repeatedly shattering the ring finger- ? Doesn't seem like there would be, but maybe it'd affect his shot?

7 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

With Terry on waivers does that mean someone is coming back from injury?

No.  They're at 23 players (14 forwards) right now so this gets someone else off the cap and brings them back to a more normal 13/7.  It actually takes them out of LTIR and allows them to save a bit more money before the deadline.  (The only two forwards out are Gallagher and Desharnais - Gallagher is still a month+ away while Desharnais is probably another week or two.)

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No.  They're at 23 players (14 forwards) right now so this gets someone else off the cap and brings them back to a more normal 13/7.  It actually takes them out of LTIR and allows them to save a bit more money before the deadline.  (The only two forwards out are Gallagher and Desharnais - Gallagher is still a month+ away while Desharnais is probably another week or two.)

So Gallagher, Markov and Pateryn are all on IR and the scratches tonight were Carr, Desharnais and Johnston?

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Desharnais is on IR. 

Okay, so my point is they have an 'open' roster spot to fill with somebody.  I was asking whether an injured player was close to returning to fill this spot.  Or, they recall somebody from the AHL.

26 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Okay, so my point is they have an 'open' roster spot to fill with somebody.  I was asking whether an injured player was close to returning to fill this spot.  Or, they recall somebody from the AHL.

They don't have to fill that open roster spot though.  They don't really 'need' to have two healthy scratches up front - most teams only carry a 22-man roster.  That said, the Habs decided to bring de la Rose up.

By the way, Terry was the third healthy scratch last night.  Even when a player is on waivers, he's still on the active roster.