Injury news

Commandant

11 minutes ago, Chris said:

they werent that good before the injuries. 

Just allows MB to say the season was lost due to injuries and do nothing 

Absolutely. I can hear the message now: it's "tough" with all the injuries. He's not going to "sacrifice the future" just to make the playoffs. And of course he will be cheered on by a significant segment of fans and media...

It's a great place for the GM to be: you miss the playoffs with a team that was largely healthy (except for Weber, a huge loss admittedly) in 2018, and that's Jim Dandy. You miss the playoffs with lots of injuries, that's Jim Dandy too. He's living the dream.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s part of improved depth for the year.  Can’t have enough AHL 4th liners.

Any team will call up AHL players when someone is injured. But we now have five players injured in the NHL (Armia, Byron, Drouin, Gallagher and Peca) and four in the AHL (Belzile, Juulsen, Pelletier and Varone) so the pickings are pretty thin.

Im sure there are multiple people willing and competent enough to take the job, I dont have anyone in mind, less than 50% making the playoffs over 8 years is enough, I don't recall a 9 year plan being a thing 

Best Person available, unfortunately the habs limit there choices with the french requirement 

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

Best Person available, unfortunately the habs limit there choices with the french requirement 

So, you simply want a change, without a clue who steps in?

Heard exact same thing about firing Therrien... and Julien has done much better hasn't he.

This roster has the team in a very predictable spot, you can change GMs and Coaches till cows come home, but until get better players it wont matter.

You can even call Yzerman and Julien Brisbois losers...correct! And how many years have those two been at healm of Tampa (9years)?

(Even Bowman said, if you don't have the players, you wont have success...a lesson he learned in Buffalo.)

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Heard exact same thing about firing Therrien... and Julien has done much better hasn't he.

This roster has the team in a very predictable spot, you can change GMs and Coaches till cows come home, but until get better players it wont matter.

You can even call Yzerman and Julien Brisbois losers...correct! And how many years have those two been at healm of Tampa (9years)?

(Even Bowman said, if you don't have the players, you wont have success...a lesson he learned in Buffalo.)

I really don't think coaching is the problem. Julien has done a good job as far as I can tell, and is clearly an upgrade on that ass Therrien. As you say, the problem is with the squad itself - which is the GM's responsibility.

Why do i have to come up with the plan? 

There are PLENTY of qualified candidates, if you are ok with being mediocre, keep MB. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 

A monkey can flip a quarter and be right 50% of the time, MB and the playoffs is less than that. 

Yzerman did a good job in Tampa,. they are loaded with talent 

10 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why do i have to come up with the plan? 

You don't, but can you stop screaming into the wind about Bergevin's tenure as a whole?

On January 2018 he was fired from his job as Playoff Push GM. He was re-hired as Retool GM, and has been faithful to that role. How has he performed under the retool parameters given to him by Geoff Molson? How has this organization's youth focus, drafting, and long-term outlook been since 2018?

• Upvote 1

So he was fired for being incompetent after 7 years, 

then they hire him to fix his 7 year incompetent run? 

And they kept the same drafting crew, 

That is brilliant 

Gms are robots... they arent real people who can learn with experience.

As for the drafting.  Its been quite good recently. They are universally seen as having one of the leagues best prospect pools for a reason.  This shows the issue was always with the development side of things (something they addressed with the bouchard hire).

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

So he was fired for being incompetent after 7 years, 

then they hire him to fix his 7 year incompetent run? 

And they kept the same drafting crew, 

That is brilliant 

Too many years on his contract to fire him and pay him to do nothing. His previous history with having to sell players brought us trades like Danault and a 2nd (Romanov) for Weise and Fleischmann, so he had proven he could get value out of expiring contracts and veteran players. It obviously wasn't an ideal situation - I'm sure Molson would have preferred to fire him and every fan would have been on board - but circumstances were what they were, and the cost was too great. So Bergevin was given the chance to fix the mess he made.

Again, I ask, how has he performed under ownership's directive change in 2018?

He had one good trade

Caufield fell into his lap

the 2nd rounder was way off the board

KK was a reach IMO, Tcachuk was out there as well as Hughes

Time will tell on those picks, 

If he unloads vets at the deadline this year to acquire youth and 1st rounders, then we are on to something

Commandant knows better then I, but i read this was a very good, deep draft year

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I really don't think coaching is the problem. Julien has done a good job as far as I can tell, and is clearly an upgrade on that ass Therrien. As you say, the problem is with the squad itself - which is the GM's responsibility.

And are a ton of current GMs with exact same or worse success. Many were drooling over what Leafs did a few years ago, or how strong a team Tampa built, but both have won same amount of cups as Bergy.

If Molson fired him tomorrow or in April, I would be fine with it. I would just hope that he had a solid replacement already in mind...not named Roy or McGuire.

37 minutes ago, Chris said:

He had one good trade

Caufield fell into his lap

the 2nd rounder was way off the board

KK was a reach IMO, Tcachuk was out there as well as Hughes

Time will tell on those picks, 

If he unloads vets at the deadline this year to acquire youth and 1st rounders, then we are on to something

Commandant knows better then I, but i read this was a very good, deep draft year

One good trade?

Domi for galchenyuk

Pacioretty for tatar, suzuki and a 2nd.

Danault and a 2nd for weise, fleischmann

The plekanec trade

Subban for weber

There are more.... 

You really cant criticize Bergevins trading record.  Its been very, very good.

Are there things to criticize, of course no one is perfect.  But hes come out strong on most deals.

Also id say this... a second round pick that is "off the board" like Romanov.. and looks as good as romanov 18 months later.   Thats not luck.  Thats a scouting staff doing a damn good job.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Julien like therrien was a mistake when Gallant was available.

as far the GM, ita his job to get the players and he’s had 8 friggin years.

Just now, Chris said:

He said in the last year, those trades were before that

Ok, lets go with The start of the rebuild/retool... the 2018 trade deadline.

All since then there is.

The plekanec trade

Armia and picks for basically nothing

Getting domi for galchenyuk

The pacioretty deal

Getting kulak for 2 ahl journeymen

Getting weal for an older ahl journeyman

Thompson for a late pick.

Getting rid of shaw before he had another concussion for 2 picks

Still seems like more than 1 good trade 

People were always screaming why can't Bergevin get us a #1 centre.  Why can't we swing for the fences instead of playing it safe. 

When we pick KK, all of a sudden it's why didn't he take Tkachuk or Hughes?   It seems fans want him to swing for the fences but also to hit a home run every time.

BPA available at that position

Tcachuk everyone knows what you get, a legit top 6 winger winger with size and grit,

Hughes was arguably the best Dman on the board, solid top 4 Dman 

I never heard of KK before that draft, but i dont follow pre draft info that as closely 

Hindsighht is always 20/20 

I think Zadina was the big goal scorer of the draft rated in that same group and he hasn't done anything either

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

People were always screaming why can't Bergevin get us a #1 centre.  Why can't we swing for the fences instead of playing it safe. 

When we pick KK, all of a sudden it's why didn't he take Tkachuk or Hughes?   It seems fans want him to swing for the fences but also to hit a home run every time.

Yup, some Habfans are very hard to please and seem to always see the glass as 1/2 empty. Just a fact of life i guess.

Oh and i obviously must love mediocrity because i dont jump on the falling sky bandwagon.

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

I see 'swinging for the fences' as a high-risk high-reward move. Kk was always a no-risk pick. The question at the time was whether he had as high a ceiling as the alternative options, and the early evidence is that he doesn't. (Personally, I wanted Hughes, based on Commandant's analysis; and Commandant nailed that one, as Hughes is simply dazzling). 

MB has turned two tank jobs into Galy and now KK. This hardly inspires confidence that he will somehow turn this year's emerging debacle into a great player. By contrast, he's done much better in transmuting Max Pac - a 22nd overall pick and a better player than either Galy or, probably, KK - into Suzuki, a 13th overall pick and probably a better player than either of those guys. 

Tanking is dumb.