Injury news

Commandant

IMO Gill is THE biggest factor in the PK. Much moreso than Moen.And for years he has been the best 5 on 3 pker

No question. But this gets to an awkward issue. Everyone is assuming that Gill will be shipped at the deadline. That makes sense. But IF we believe that this team is better than it's shown in this disastrous season, and that only a handful of intelligent tweaks are really needed to bring us back to respectability - a position that many of us take - then does it actually make sense to let Gill walk? Wouldn't it be smarter to keep him around so that we retain our awesome PK as a building block for next season? Just asking :nuts:

No question. But this gets to an awkward issue. Everyone is assuming that Gill will be shipped at the deadline. That makes sense. But IF we believe that this team is better than it's shown in this disastrous season, and that only a handful of intelligent tweaks are really needed to bring us back to respectability - a position that many of us take - then does it actually make sense to let Gill walk? Wouldn't it be smarter to keep him around so that we retain our awesome PK as a building block for next season? Just asking :nuts:

The question then is having a good enough,deep and durable defense to only play Gill pk duty and 5-10min/gm of 5 on 5.At this point,no.Pk and Emelin can handle 20+min/gm,Gorges can here and there,but would get worn out over the long haul + playoffs.IF Markov comes back,definitely no,and the rest are too small/bad

I didn't see a future for Gill on this team next year even at the beginning of the season. We have Subban, Markov(hopefully), and Gorges as a core at the beginning of the season. Now we have Emelin, Kaberle and Diaz. Gill doesn't have a whole lot of room on the roster at this point in the season, mostly still here bacuase Markov is still out. That being said I would expect Tinordi on the roster next season to replace Gill's size, and hopefully he uses it better than Gill did.

With Emelin emerging as a solid defenseman, we have 5 roster defensemen. I think the wildcard that will push our defense from good next year to great will be Emelin. It'll be on his shoulders if he's good enough defensivily to be 2nd or 3rd pair. If he can push his game to be good enough 2nd pair I think we'll see Markov/Gorges, Subban/Emelin, leaving Kaberle/Diaz(Tinordi). Although I think defensively Kaberle/Diaz is kinda weak.

Gill is the key on our PK but he is getting older now and is losing the limited speed he has, I'm not sure he will be able to continue playing minutes. Georges is excellent on the PK and Emelin will become solid as a PK defender. I think it is best to trade Gill now while he has value and get a return that can help the team in the future. With a healthy Markov who can play on the pk I think we will be fine.

Gill is a key component but we have Gorges and Emelin like you said and then Plekanec/Moen who excel at this. But alot of credit is the system with 3 guys standing up at the blueline forcing teams to dump it in and have Price fire the puck back out

What do you think Habs get for him if they deal him?

Personally I think he could get a secound but I am hoping that we can somehow send Gill with something extra to try to get Chris Stewart. Blues can use some D so why not try to make a deal there.

• Upvote 1

Personally I think he could get a secound but I am hoping that we can somehow send Gill with something extra to try to get Chris Stewart. Blues can use some D so why not try to make a deal there.

Good idea, but note that one of the hosts on The Team Vancouver commented today that he was told by people in the Colorado organization that Chris Stewart was out of control off the ice and HAD to be moved. I'm not saying we should go for Stewart, just that that's something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Good idea, but note that one of the hosts on The Team Vancouver commented today that he was told by people in the Colorado organization that Chris Stewart was out of control off the ice and HAD to be moved. I'm not saying we should go for Stewart, just that that's something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Hard to predict I guess. Some players struggles in certian scenarios, excel in other. Look at Ribeiro going from a party animal to mature athlete in Dallas.

Stewart is an RFA at seasons end meaning because of his struggles we could liekly get him signed for not more more than he is making now. I would personally jump at the idea of losing Kostitsyn and Cammalleri at $10 million total per season and adding Bourque and Stewart for under $7 million.

Use that extra $3 million towards Price and our cap situation isn't that bleak.

\

I WOULD LOVE THIS!

Gill,our 2nd (31-35th overall), and either Kristo,Weber or another pick/mid-prospect. And get his brother of waivers. Then we can work on rebuilding the defense

Gill is a key component but we have Gorges and Emelin like you said and then Plekanec/Moen who excel at this. But alot of credit is the system with 3 guys standing up at the blueline forcing teams to dump it in and have Price fire the puck back out

PK improved when Gill got hurt near start of year and i dont agree he is a "key" component and is repalceable, Price/Gorges are the key ones. splittin hairs, but i would wager, there will be little difference with Gill gone and overall 5-0n-5 will be an improvment.

Not that i dont appreciate his effort and he will be a key PK addition to another team, but Habs defense and between the pipes will offset his loss for sure.

PK improved when Gill got hurt near start of year and i dont agree he is a "key" component and is repalceable, Price/Gorges are the key ones. splittin hairs, but i would wager, there will be little difference with Gill gone and overall 5-0n-5 will be an improvment.

Not that i dont appreciate his effort and he will be a key PK addition to another team, but Habs defense and between the pipes will offset his loss for sure.

Gill is great(the best in league) on 5 on 3 pk,good on 5 on 4. But 5 on 5 he's just another stiff that we have to get rid of on our blue line.We need to bridge the gap for the next 2-3 yrs until some prospects are hopefully ready to come up. Keep PK,Gorges and Emelin,do anything possible to dump the rest and replace with big physical crease clearers.

Gill is great(the best in league) on 5 on 3 pk,good on 5 on 4. But 5 on 5 he's just another stiff that we have to get rid of on our blue line.We need to bridge the gap for the next 2-3 yrs until some prospects are hopefully ready to come up. Keep PK,Gorges and Emelin,do anything possible to dump the rest and replace with big physical crease clearers.

I really think you only need 1 or 2 crease clearers.

You need to have 3 or 4 guys that move the puck very well.

Obviously the best option would be guys that do both.

I really think you only need 1 or 2 crease clearers.

You need to have 3 or 4 guys that move the puck very well.

Obviously the best option would be guys that do both.

Balance on the D is key. Right now there is no balance... we have too many similar guys.

Ideally next year we add a big and nasty top 4 Dman, because Gorges can play RD or LD it gives us a ton of options on who to sign.

Markov - Gorges or UFA

Gorges or UFA - Subban

Kaberle - Emelin

7th Diaz

Gone at this year's deadline: Campoli, Gill, Weber