Injury news

Commandant

Still nothing on Emelin. But it looked ugly.

I'm hoping it was just a charleyhorse,,, *fingers crossed*

Emelin isn't on the ice for practice, Drewiske has moved up to his spot while Beaulieu is paired with Bouillon. Bourque is participating in his first full practice and is on the 4th line RW with Moen and Halpern. I'm guessing they plan to ease him back in.

Emelin is out for the year with a torn knee ligament. Ouch.

What does this mean longer-term? Is this a possible career-compromiser? Sorry, I don't know much about these sorts of medical issues.

TSN reporting that Bourque is on track for this Tuesday's game against the Caps.

I'd be happier if I thought Bourque could be counted on to play the kind of drive-the-net, power-forward game he was bringing before he got hurt. But he was always unreliable, and who knows how he will respond after being concussed for so long.

Still, it gives us one potential additional weapon. And if he does bring his 'A' game he adds some physicality up front, which maybe helps in some way to balance off the loss of Emelin on the back end.

What does this mean longer-term? Is this a possible career-compromiser? Sorry, I don't know much about these sorts of medical issues.

A torn ACL seems to be the speculation, the Habs are just calling it a ligament (not specifying which one). It shouldn't be a career compromiser if it is that but it has been known to slow players down in terms of foot speed in the past. Fortunately advances have been made in recent years for knee surgeries which should limit any significant repercussions. Long story short, he should be ready to play at some point next year (although if it's a six month injury, we may still be talking about this come training camp) without much, if any, long-term issues.

A torn ACL seems to be the speculation, the Habs are just calling it a ligament (not specifying which one). It shouldn't be a career compromiser if it is that but it has been known to slow players down in terms of foot speed in the past. Fortunately advances have been made in recent years for knee surgeries which should limit any significant repercussions. Long story short, he should be ready to play at some point next year (although if it's a six month injury, we may still be talking about this come training camp) without much, if any, long-term issues.

Thanks, dlbalr. I will never get over what happened to Koivu, so I'm always nervous about these sorts of things, but your explanation is moderately reassuring.

Thanks, dlbalr. I will never get over what happened to Koivu, so I'm always nervous about these sorts of things, but your explanation is moderately reassuring.

I speak from experience when it comes to an ACL tear. That's the one injury I follow closer when someone suffers it and players seem to be coming back from it quicker and quicker which is nice.

Crap... I hope Diaz is close to returning... Hard to replace Emelin in tough playoff hockey.

While I am not blaming Lucic, why do we always seem to lose a key player to the Bruins before the playoffs. I am still convinced if we had Pacs we would not have lost in the first round to Boston.

Diaz won't replace Emelin. We have no one that can replace Emelin.

Crap... I hope Diaz is close to returning... Hard to replace Emelin in tough playoff hockey.

Why I am not blaming Lucic, why do we always seem to lose a key player to the Bruins before the playoffs. I am still convinced if we had Pacs we would not have lost in the first round to Boston.

Why I am not blaming Lucic, why do we always seem to lose a key player to the Bruins before the playoffs. I am still convinced if we had Pacs we would not have lost in the first round to Boston.

I agree with the last bit. But really, other than these two cases I can't think of further examples. ^_^ It's more a case of us never having a fully healthy lineup at playoff time, but that is true of nearly every team (remember, Boston is lacking the ultimate all-versatile forward in Bergeron). What has really hurt us over the past three years has been the catastrophic absence of Markov, both for two playoffs (2010 and 2011) as well as for the disastrous non-playoff year (2012). That wasn't Boston's fault.

(Speaking of which, does anyone recall that vicious slash that broke Richer's arm in the 1987 playoffs and basically guaranteed a Bruins win? Now that was frustrating).

My view of all this is, as long as you are not missing really the handful of truly indispensable core guys at playoff time - PK, Markov, Price, Prust, Plekanec, maybe Patches (what's with all the "P"s??) - you're doing all right. So the Emelin thing sucks, but it's not really something we should be experiencing as some sort of cosmic injustice.

EDIT: I agree with Habs29 that we have no one who can replace Emelin. We have to hope that by adding strength in other areas - e.g., increased offence via Diaz, increased physicality up front with Bourque - we can compensate for the net loss in terms of toughness in our own end. This injury exposes a structural weakness in our NHL-ready organization; what we really need is for Tinordi to be a year further along in his development.

I've got no time for anyone who blames Lucic. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. We blame Lucic, and we're opening ourselves up to 911 jokes.

Wow, Emelin has been such a huge part of this team, I think his loss will be felt most certainly in the playoffs. Habs are now missing 2 of their top 5 d-men. Drewiske will definitely get some minutes as will Beaulieu. Does this mean Weber will also get some playing time or will the Habs call-up Tinordi as well?

If another injury happens to the back-end, one would think that Kaberle will draw in.

I've got no time for anyone who blames Lucic. You live by the sword, you die by the sword. We blame Lucic, and we're opening ourselves up to 911 jokes.

Brian Wilde tried to start a big rah rah about Lucic bringing his legs up and Mathieu Darche shut him up almost immediately saying every player does it.

I'm so sad by the Emelin news. The impact was clean, but it's still another victim on Lucic's impressive career-compromising hit list. Komisarek was an all-star before he met Lucic. Miller was the top goalie in the league before he met Lucic. Emelin was the league top hitter before he met Lucic. I'm hoping Emelin can come back as strong as he was. He was a very nice part of the team and will be sorely missed for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Stupid question..but is there a roster freeze league wide or does the waiver wire exist? Can a team pick up someone who has a one way contract but is lingering in the minors?

There is no roster freeze and in theory players can still be waived. It's extremely rare that a player gets waived and claimed after the deadline though. I think Alex Auld (DAL to NYR) was the most recent; I think Benoit Gratton was the last player Montreal acquired via this route. (It's really sad that I don't even have to look these up, I actually remember these happening.) Players acquired via waivers or trade after the deadline are ineligible to play in the postseason. So I suppose they could go to a team with a costly player in the minors and request that he be waived in order to give the team a player they can use between now and the regular season but it's very unlikely to happen. They'll keep using a youngster until Diaz returns.

I can't see a bruins announcer or analyst EVER remaining neutral like that.

Brian Wilde tried to start a big rah rah about Lucic bringing his legs up and Mathieu Darche shut him up almost immediately saying every player does it.